terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by DTi45654 » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00

Makes it impossible to do *anything*.

Is there a fix from root prompt at runlevel 3?  Or something??

TIA
           dave

http://www.columbia.edu/~mdt1/

(1 = one, not little L; and don't forget the trailing / )

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by David Faur » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Interesting indeed ;-)
Using another terminal emulator temporarily is always the solution
for such problems. Remember that on any unix with KDE installed, you can
find
xterm, rxvt, kvt, konsole, and probably many others I don't remember.

So, which one is it that gives you black on black ?

--
David Faure

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to set up KDE 2.

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by DTi45654 » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your response.  The problem
occurs when I click the terminal emulator
button on the bottom row (I think it is
kvt).

Also, when I bring up the K menu on the
left, icons are so tiny I can't make them
out; and sometimes text does not appear.

The machine is a Fuji Lifebook.  I've gotten
the same software package (COL 2.3)
installed on a Mitsubishi Amity and a
couple of desktops; so I wonder if the
Fuji has some hardware-specific
peculiarity.

Thanks again for helping me.

           dave

http://www.columbia.edu/~mdt1/

(1 = one, not little L; and don't forget the trailing / )

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by John » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Makes it impossible to do *anything*.

> Is there a fix from root prompt at runlevel 3?  Or something??

I had this problem before and it turned out to be a problem with x and my
graphics card. Try changing the default colour depth.

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by DTi45654 » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your suggestions to change
default color depth.  Is there a way to
do this without re-installing?  I'm a newbie
and need clues.  THanks,

Post by David Faur » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for your suggestions to change
> default color depth.  Is there a way to
> do this without re-installing?

Sure. As 'man XF86Config' says:
       DefaultColorDepth bpp-number
               specifies which color depth the server should use,
               when no -bpp command line parameter was given.

-> edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and in the Screen section add

DefaultColorDepth 16

(or 24, or 32... depending on how much RAM your video card has)....
Try 16 first :-)

Alternatively, put
X -bpp 16
in ~/.xserverrc

Or simply remove the 8-bit entries using your preferred X config tool...

Quote:>I'm a newbie and need clues.  THanks,

The word "reinstalling" definitely shows it :-)

--
David Faure

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to set up KDE 2.

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by DTi45654 » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Yes, I'm a clueless newbie, but I'm
trying.  Look forward to being able
to help others, as many have helped me.

Your suggestion not as easy as it
sounds, because "locate" shows me
I have 6 XF86Config files: two in /etc,
two in /opt, and two in /usr.

In /etc/XF86Config, I've g0t a couple
of "screen" files: one for VGA16 and
one for SVGA.

ALSO, I know a little pico, but it's not
on my installation, so I've got to learn
vi.  Keep encouraging me.  I've had
it up to here with Macro$h*t.

Post by David Faur » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

> Yes, I'm a clueless newbie, but I'm
> trying.  Look forward to being able
> to help others, as many have helped me.

:)

Quote:> Your suggestion not as easy as it
> sounds, because "locate" shows me
> I have 6 XF86Config files: two in /etc,
> two in /opt, and two in /usr.

Huh ;-) Strange distro :/
But the ones in etc and usr are usually the same, one being
a symlink to another.

Quote:> In /etc/XF86Config

Sounds like the right one - if you don't have one in
/etc/X11/XF86Config.

Quote:> I've g0t a couple of "screen" files: one for VGA16 and
> one for SVGA.

It's very probably the SVGA one. Few people still have VGA16 video cards
:-)

Quote:> ALSO, I know a little pico, but it's not on my installation, so I've got to learn
> vi.  Keep encouraging me.

Try emacs ;-)

--
David Faure

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to set up KDE 2.

terminal: black text on black background. Please help...

Post by DTi45654 » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Thank you, David,

I got it done in vi; and I've learned a lot.

Next task, get a PCMCIA modem going.
Looking for a good HowTo.

Thanks again,
           dave

http://www.columbia.edu/~mdt1/

(1 = one, not little L; and don't forget the trailing / )

1. Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

Help!

I've decided to try another set of distributions in order to get a
working Linux system.   Whenever I try to install Linux in graphics
mode, I get black text on a black background.  All other icons, etc,
seem to display properly.....

What's wrong, and is there anything I can do about it?   My video is
on the motherboard, and it is a SIS 5798 (I can double check this
later), and I have no problems with display in either the Caldera
distribution or in Windows (aargh!) environments.

I can't afford to keep playing with new distributions - I want
something that will work!   I know Linux is a great o/s - I've seen it
in action on other computers.   All I want is to get it working on my
system.   Can anyone help?

Thanks....

Chris

2. streambuf

3. Black text on a black background

4. Swap <-> /tmp

5. Soln: Mouse pointer lacks white border (black pointer on black background)

6. slackware colors

7. Exiting X -> nice black-on-black text on all VC

8. TMC Motherboards w/ Linux

9. Netscape 3.0 menu text ok, 4.07 is black on black

10. I am tired of white text on black background

11. How to make the background in cmdtool to be black and text white

12. hard to read situation of deep blue "highlighted" text upon a black background

13. white text, black background