Konqueror 2.2.1 Javascript isn't great

Post by worl » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:11:19

Does anyone know why the javascript in Konqueror doesn't seem to work
with many sites.  the most flagrant violator I have found is
E*.com's webmail on their new Beta mail service.  It won't even
give me a page.  Works with Mozilla though.

I installed the Sun JDK 1.3, but that didn't help.  I read somewhere
that the JVM doesn't matter with Javascript?

I wish it worked though since KLonqueror is my browser of choice.  It
does so much so well that not having Javascript work right is a
bummer.  This isn't so much a complaint as a lament, since this
browser has come a LONG way in a few years' time.

--Tom

Post by Arne Schmit » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:40:46

> I installed the Sun JDK 1.3, but that didn't help.??I?read?somewhere
> that the JVM doesn't matter with Javascript?

That's right. JavaScript was only named "JavaScript", because at the time
Netscape came up with it Sun also did release Java, and Netscape wanted to
get something from the Java-Hype, too.

The Javascript implementation in Konqueror is not yet perfect and still
under construction, but it's getting better! But Javascript isn't that cool
anyway. People should better use CSS2 for Menus and stuff. That's the way
to go. In the meantime: Either use Mozilla/Netscape or just don't use the
sites that don't work.

Arne

--
"I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six.  Mother took me to
see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph."

[--- PGP key available on http://www.root42.de/ ---]

Post by Kevin Kramme » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:40:13

> Does anyone know why the javascript in Konqueror doesn't seem to work
> with many sites.  the most flagrant violator I have found is
> E*.com's webmail on their new Beta mail service.  It won't even
> give me a page.  Works with Mozilla though.

Additionally to what Arne said:
- be sure you have JavaScript turned on
- sometimes it's notthe fault of Konquerors javascript enigine but of
the website, which doesn't recognize Konqueror and sends either no or
faulty JavaScript to the browser.
In this case a work around that might work is to change the UserAgent
setting for that site.

hth,
Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Colin Theflea » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:15:16

>> Does anyone know why the javascript in Konqueror doesn't seem to work
>> with many sites.  the most flagrant violator I have found is
>> E*.com's webmail on their new Beta mail service.  It won't even
>> give me a page.  Works with Mozilla though.

> Additionally to what Arne said:
> - be sure you have JavaScript turned on
> - sometimes it's notthe fault of Konquerors javascript enigine but of
> the website, which doesn't recognize Konqueror and sends either no or
> faulty JavaScript to the browser.
> In this case a work around that might work is to change the UserAgent
> setting for that site.

> hth,
> Kevin

As parallel question: a simple javascript function like:
javascript:self.close()
kills konqueror completely
I'm using KDE2.2.1 on FreeBSD
Is it the same with your ?
I have this problem for example at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
When a new window opens to display a screenshot, if I click inside it, the
javascript self close kills all my konqueror sessions...

Colin

Post by Jemimah Puddleduc » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:22:46

>>> Does anyone know why the javascript in Konqueror doesn't seem to work
>>> with many sites.  the most flagrant violator I have found is
>>> E*.com's webmail on their new Beta mail service.  It won't even
>>> give me a page.  Works with Mozilla though.

>> Additionally to what Arne said:
>> - be sure you have JavaScript turned on
>> - sometimes it's notthe fault of Konquerors javascript enigine but of
>> the website, which doesn't recognize Konqueror and sends either no or
>> faulty JavaScript to the browser.
>> In this case a work around that might work is to change the UserAgent
>> setting for that site.

>> hth,
>> Kevin

> As parallel question: a simple javascript function like:
> javascript:self.close()
> kills konqueror completely
> I'm using KDE2.2.1 on FreeBSD
> Is it the same with your ?
> I have this problem for example at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> When a new window opens to display a screenshot, if I click inside it, the
> javascript self close kills all my konqueror sessions...

> Colin

I have 2.2.1 running under Mandrake 8.1 and just tried exactly what you
said and it only closed the new window. BTW Colin is my favourite name!
--
Jemimah Puddleduck

\\\_\
<____)

1. Isn't SLRN Great?

My love affair with Slang Language Read-News continues. I've been using the
latest for about a week now, and I just realized that the cross-posting
"catcher" feature is new. Now, when some shmuck cross-posts to comp.*, SLRN
asks how I want to handle it. A simple, single keypress strips away all the
extra garbage on the "Newsgroups:" line. Beautiful.

--
Bones

2. sound: dma:irq???

3. Problem with konqueror 2.2.2 and javascript button

4. Configuring Solaris systems for two separate networks

5. Konqueror 2.2.2 and Javascript?

6. DNS

7. Konqueror: JavaScript Version?

8. Bash login / rc confusion