login XDMCP and kdm

Post by spinosu » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:23:47

trying to login to Xwin using kdm and XDMCP broadcast.

running XFree86 4.01,  kde  1.1.2

I recently installed openssh.Im using exceed for XDMCP. It finds the kdm
manager no problem (willing to host etc)Problem being that when I give
my root username and root password to the kde login box... it kicks me
back to the willing to manage box again.

checking var/log/messages.log:

Aug 20 02:27:35 spinosus PAM_pwdb[831]: (kde) session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Aug 20 02:27:35 spinosus PAM_pwdb[831]: (kde) session closed for user
root

Aug 20 02:27:51 spinosus PAM_pwdb[842]: (kde) session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Aug 20 02:27:51 spinosus PAM_pwdb[842]: (kde) session closed for user
root

PAM appears to be allowing the connection to kde but then the session
closes instantly afterward.

when an incorrect password is entered pam responds properly:
Aug 20 02:27:58 spinosus PAM_pwdb[849]: authentication failure; (uid=0)
-> root for kde service

so is this a problem with the versions of XFree86 and kde etc? could kde
be shagged? (used kde 1.1.2 rpms) or is this an issue of PAM and
openssh having an arguement? Any input on this would be great.

I had this system working before... this version of  kde(1.1.2) and
Xfree86 3.3 before.
After an attempt at deuglifying the Xwin fonts, Xwin became defunct and
kdm woud not start at all.. .. so I tried to upgrade XFree86 and
reinstall kde. now the login isn't working.

Thanks in advance!

Spinosus{DRB}

aka

Tony Guthrie

1. login XDMCP and kdm

[...]

2. Thanks for the Linux tip

3. kdm/xdmcp/WinAxe won't work properly after Linux upgrade

4. Signals are screwing up my tty reads.

5. kdm and xdmcp broadcast in woody

6. Linux versus OS/2 versus Cairo and so on

7. kdm, gdm, xdm and xdmcp

8. DIP3.3.7 and HANGUP signal

9. KDM and XDMCP Broadcast on redHat 6.2

10. xdmcp in kdm

11. kdm and XDMCP HELP!!!

12. setting up kdm for XDMCP

13. Disabling XDMCP in kdm