help help help help! please!

help help help help! please!

Post by M » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00



Hello... Window$ user of 5 years finally made to move from uncle Bills
Os to Linux.
Amazing, but confusing!
I need to know:
can I read my DOS partition in Linux/xwindow
how do I connect to the net in Linux/xwindow
where the hell do I get KDE from?
I have seen the screen shots and it looks amazing but because I'm new to
all this I can't understand what I need to download.
Because I don't have a clue what I'm doing I'll probably need help
installing KDE.

So could you either mail me with help (no flaming please! I'm new!) or
tell me where I can get some easy to understand FAQs.

Thankyou,
MP
http://www.arcade.mcmail.com/dmp

 
 
 

help help help help! please!

Post by Jens Kristian S?gaa » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00



> can I read my DOS partition in Linux/xwindow

Yep.

Quote:> how do I connect to the net in Linux/xwindow

Using f.ex. the Internet Dialer delivered with KDE (kppp).

Quote:> where the hell do I get KDE from?

From http://www.kde.org/.

Quote:> all this I can't understand what I need to download.

Read the installation guide on the website.

--
Jens Kristian S?gaard,


 
 
 

help help help help! please!

Post by Nick Rou » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00



> Hello... Window$ user of 5 years finally made to move from uncle Bills
> Os to Linux.
> Amazing, but confusing!
> I need to know:
> can I read my DOS partition in Linux/xwindow

something like mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/dospart

where /dev/hda2 is your dos partition in linuxspeak and /mnt/dospart is a
blank directory set up by you before you do the mount command. You can set
up this drive to be available every time by usung linuxconf

Quote:

> how do I connect to the net in Linux/xwindow

use kppp if you have kde

Quote:

> where the hell do I get KDE from?

www.kde.org, folloe the links
Quote:

> I have seen the screen shots and it looks amazing but because I'm new to
> all this I can't understand what I need to download.
> Because I don't have a clue what I'm doing I'll probably need help
> installing KDE.

> So could you either mail me with help (no flaming please! I'm new!) or
> tell me where I can get some easy to understand FAQs.

> Thankyou,
> MP
> http://www.arcade.mcmail.com/dmp