KDE 3.x and SUSE 7.3 Pro?

Post by Robert Oschle » Mon, 13 May 2002 00:28:00

I'm susing (mispelling intended :) SUSE 7.3 Pro and KDE 2.x.  I don't want
to upgrade to 8.0 just yet.  I was wondering how any of you SUSE 7.x users
were getting along with KDE 3.x.  Is it working well?  If so, can you tell
me:

Should I remove KDE 2.x before installing 3.x?
What is currently the most reliable sub-version of KDE 3.x?
Where's a good place to get an RPM for KDE 3.x that installs/runs well on
SUSE 7.3 Pro?

thx

KDE 3.x and SUSE 7.3 Pro?

Post by Sagdalo » Mon, 13 May 2002 00:51:28

> I'm susing (mispelling intended :) SUSE 7.3 Pro and KDE 2.x.  I don't want
> to upgrade to 8.0 just yet.  I was wondering how any of you SUSE 7.x users
> were getting along with KDE 3.x.  Is it working well?  If so, can you tell
> me:

It's working very well on 7.3

Quote:> Should I remove KDE 2.x before installing 3.x?

No! You can do this when you are absolutly sure 3.0 is working properly, but
you may as well have both installed.

Quote:> What is currently the most reliable sub-version of KDE 3.x?
> Where's a good place to get an RPM for KDE 3.x that installs/runs well on
> SUSE 7.3 Pro?

Get the ones from SUSE.
Do a conservative install (just the base rpms, not the kde2compat rpm),
apply the post-installation instructions from
http://mail.bmtsolutions.com/suse_faq/desktops.html#KDE
Once you you've got 3.0 up and working install whatever kde apps you want.

--
Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.
-Nietzsche

1. A question on upgrading to KDE 3.0.1 from KDE 2.2.2 (SuSE 7.3)

Well I downloaded all the rpms and deps from kde.org and SuSE.com into one
folder.

When I run 'rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm' I get the following:
"file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp from install of kdenetwork3-3.0.1-18 conflicts with
 file from package kdenetwork-2.2.1-32".

Is this likely to be a problem? I upgraded to 2.2.2 via SuSE's online update.

I have a copy of the post-install instructions from the SuSE unofficial FAQs
page; and I know from reading alt.os.linux.suse to stay away from the
kde2-compat rpm.
--
I have an understanding with my local police--I have them outgunned, but
they have me outnumbered.

2. Copying files from my WIN 95 System to my Linux System

3. : Setting Up A Dial In Server Using SuSE 7.3 Pro

4. grep + next 5 lines

5. SuSE 7.3 Pro CDs

6. moving files across filesystems

7. SuSE 7.3 Pro Linux v.s Lexmark E210 Printer on W2K

8. Dell Latitude XPi XF86Config?

9. SuSE 7.3 Pro crashes

10. Autoconf vs. SuSE 7.3 Pro

11. SuSE 7.3 Pro vs. 3DFX Voodo 3500 TV AGP Card

12. Suse 7.3 Pro networking

13. Spalsh Screen In Booting On SuSE 7.3 Pro