help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

Post by clockworks.. » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:15:37



arg, after a few weeks with linux, i thought i got most of it down.  but
i'm having problems again.

i tried to build gnapster (knapster doesn't work with kde2 apparently)
and it tries to link to libgdk_imlib, but says it doesn't exist.  i
installed glib and gtk+ and it installed everything >but< libgdk_imlib.
where can i find the source to build this library?

also, i installed kde2 in /usr/local/kde2.  i ended up installing the
gnapster binary from an rpm, and when i ran it, it looked for
libaudiofile.so (which is in /usr/local/kde2/lib) in /usr/lib.  how do i
configure my system to make programs look for libaries in the correct
place?

thanks for the help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

Post by Noble Peppe » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:38:36


<snip>
Quote:> libgdk_imlib.
> where can i find the source to build this library?

<snip>

Might be in imlib, look at http://ftpsearch.lycos.com. I think I got it
through a link at www.gnome.org, but that server seems to be down
presently. I have 1.9.8.1 so get a version at least that new.

<snip>

Quote:> how do i
> configure my system to make programs look for libaries in the correct
> place?

<snip>

I don't think you can change this after the program is linked, but you can
make a link to the lib.

Something like:
ln -s /usr/local/kde2/libaudiofile.so /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so

 
 
 

help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

Post by clockworks.. » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:32:01


cool, thanks for the tips.

Quote:> I don't think you can change this after the program is linked, but you
can
> make a link to the lib.

> Something like:
> ln -s /usr/local/kde2/libaudiofile.so /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so

thats what i did at first.  but i stumbled upon (as i always do in
linux) some useful info.  if its a shared library linked at runtime,
them you can edit a file called /etc/ld.so.conf to hold each dir to look
for shared libraries when a program runs.  besure to run ldconfig after
you edit the file.

i have another problem now.  i tried to install xfree86 4.0.1 (i backed
up my original copy of course), but it didn't work.  so i restored my
back up and now my fonts are sooooo ugly!  they are low resolution and
pixalated!  looks like a tiny font has been stretched to make look
bigger, loosing tons of quality in the process.  how do fonts work in
linux?  where can i find info about this and fix this problem?

thank you,
christopher

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

help, apps finding libs in kde2/libs...??

Post by Noble Peppe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:20:43



> cool, thanks for the tips.

>> I don't think you can change this after the program is linked, but you
> can
>> make a link to the lib.

>> Something like:
>> ln -s /usr/local/kde2/libaudiofile.so /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so

> thats what i did at first.  but i stumbled upon (as i always do in
> linux) some useful info.  if its a shared library linked at runtime,
> them you can edit a file called /etc/ld.so.conf to hold each dir to look
> for shared libraries when a program runs.  besure to run ldconfig after
> you edit the file.

> i have another problem now.  i tried to install xfree86 4.0.1 (i backed
> up my original copy of course), but it didn't work.  so i restored my
> back up and now my fonts are sooooo ugly!  they are low resolution and
> pixalated!  looks like a tiny font has been stretched to make look
> bigger, loosing tons of quality in the process.  how do fonts work in
> linux?  where can i find info about this and fix this problem?

> thank you,
> christopher

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I am a big fan using ld.so.conf vs LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I didn't know how
good it is. Guess I need to read some docs.

I'm no help on your font problems, but there are several threads over at
comp.os.linux.x about fonts.

 
 
 

1. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

Hi Linuxers,

I just got a new copy of gcc-2.4.5 and source code of the pl11.
After having done the installation of gcc-2.4.5, I realised that
I have an extra directory: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux.
The question is whether I need to keep the old gcc stuff under
the i386-linux.  I really like to clean it up so as to save 5.1
meg disk space (another poor Linux user  ;-( ).

Your answer is very appreciated.  Please send answer directly
to my address or the corresponding interest parties to reduce
the network load.  Thank you in advance.

Wing



2. XKeysymDB + XFree86 3.3

3. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

4. Odd Linksys problem?

5. Can't start KDE2: /opt/kde2//lib/libkdecore.so.3: undefined symbol: __ti8QUriDrag

6. Testing GNU utilities and Linux -- please join us

7. lib*.so.3 not found - X app don't run

8. Solaris Sendmail 8.6 failing some host lookups?

9. old apps don't find X11R5 libs after R6 install

10. HELP:::-> shared lib and archived lib

11. Problem with x apps not able to find shared libs.

12. HELP: Compiling ELF apps which use a.out libs

13. X lib missing for some apps, help