virtual screen size problem

Post by ntk00 » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I installed RH6.0 and Gnome (i think Gnome it came with it somehow ).

I installed KDE after that and it went ok. When KDE boots up the
resolution is very low so I hit Ctrl+Alt+'+' twice to increase the
resolution. (If I increase it again the screen looks too 'stressed out'
so I don't go further.)

It my preferred resolution my desktop is much bigger than my screen size
so i have to move the mouse around so my video screen can cover the
whole KDE desktop.

I have a 17" Mag DX1795 monitor, and a Matrox G200 8MB video card.

This is the only problem I have had with KDE. Maybe I should get a
larger monitor?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Nagita

virtual screen size problem

Post by ne.. » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello all,

>I installed RH6.0 and Gnome (i think Gnome it came with it somehow ).

>I installed KDE after that and it went ok. When KDE boots up the
>resolution is very low so I hit Ctrl+Alt+'+' twice to increase the
>resolution. (If I increase it again the screen looks too 'stressed out'
>so I don't go further.)

>It my preferred resolution my desktop is much bigger than my screen size
>so i have to move the mouse around so my video screen can cover the
>whole KDE desktop.

You will need to edit your XF86Config file and in the 'Screen'
sections comment out the line that starts with the keyword
'Virtual'.

To prevent having to cycle resolutions using Ctrl+Alt+'+',
put the resolution you prefer first in the screen section.
An example is shown below:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16 # 32
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Quote:>I have a 17" Mag DX1795 monitor, and a Matrox G200 8MB video card.

>This is the only problem I have had with KDE. Maybe I should get a
>larger monitor?

You could, but larger monitors do cost money...

--
Professional wrestling:  ballet for the common man.