Konqueror as web browser ONLY?

Post by Len Philp » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:55:21

Is there a way to have Konqueror approach every file/directory it opens
as a web browser only? In effect, I'd like to enforce the web browsing
profile at all times, regardless of anything else, and attempt to render
each file as HTML instead of dropping into the file handling profile.

It (correctly) stays in the web browsing profile for web files, but
when for example, I call it from the command line it will open non-HTML
content as a file manager. I realize I can override this on the command
line, but is there a way to override it in ALL instances, regardless of
how it's launched? I never use it as a file handler, just a browser
(which IMO are two totally different tasks).

Do I just need to rename the konqueror binary and create a script with
the options I want? What then about kfmclient, etc.?

Thanks.

--

-- Len Philpot                          ><>  --

Post by Liam O'Tool » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:06:35

> Is there a way to have Konqueror approach every file/directory it opens
> as a web browser only? In effect, I'd like to enforce the web browsing
> profile at all times, regardless of anything else, and attempt to render
> each file as HTML instead of dropping into the file handling profile.

> It (correctly) stays in the web browsing profile for web files, but
> when for example, I call it from the command line it will open non-HTML
> content as a file manager. I realize I can override this on the command
> line, but is there a way to override it in ALL instances, regardless of
> how it's launched? I never use it as a file handler, just a browser
> (which IMO are two totally different tasks).

> Do I just need to rename the konqueror binary and create a script with
> the options I want? What then about kfmclient, etc.?

> Thanks.

You can override the unwanted behaviour on the command line?
Consider then using an alias in your .bashrc, e.g.,

     alias konqueror='konqueror <your_options>'

That should do the trick. Similarly for kfmclient.

--

Liam

E-mail: remove "_alias" from the address above

Post by Len Philp » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 05:30:22

> You can override the unwanted behaviour on the command line?
> Consider then using an alias in your .bashrc, e.g.,

>     alias konqueror='konqueror <your_options>'

> That should do the trick. Similarly for kfmclient.

That would take care of any instances I invoke, but how about the
system?

--

-- Len Philpot                          ><>  --

Post by ne.. » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:33:47

>> You can override the unwanted behaviour on the command line?
>> Consider then using an alias in your .bashrc, e.g.,

>>     alias konqueror='konqueror <your_options>'

>> That should do the trick. Similarly for kfmclient.

> That would take care of any instances I invoke, but how about the
> system?

You will need to do the same thing in the system shell config
files.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.          |   '.invalid'

Konqueror as web browser ONLY?

Post by Lauri Watt » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:01:46

1. Konqueror Web Browser Becomes Ark??

I'm running Red Hat 8.0 and I installed kde3 via apt-get through unl.edu.

I've been having trouble with downloading files since with Konqueror. At
first it seemed as if kget might be getting "in the way", but after some
more experimentation, I think I know what's happening. I just don't know
how to fix it.

If I download anything BUT a compressed archived file (tar.gz, zip, tar.bz2,
etc), it all acts as expected. I'm asked where I want the file and then
after I provide the location (and optionally the filename), the file
downloads and all is bright and wonderful in the world.

BUT, if I try to download a compressed archive file on any sort (see above
for some examples), Konqueror automatically downloads the file as a
temporary file and then displays it like a full screen version of ark (the
archive tool).

Unfortunately ark is no longer a stand-alone package (at least not from this
source) but a part of kdeutils which has a lot of other stuff I'd rather
not do without. For that matter, I'd rather keep ark, too.

Any ideas how I can straighten this out?

David

2. REDHAT 5.1 INSTALL FAILS

3. Konqueror Web Browser, File Manager won't start...

4. Libraries

5. konqueror web browser

6. Conner 850 MB Tape Backup

7. Konqueror web browser

8. Introducing new FC SAN disks into Solaris8 environment

9. Konqueror as Web Browser

10. Konqueror crawls as web browser on KDE 3.1 (what is wrong with my system?)

11. Konqueror a great web browser

12. Konqueror Web Browser

13. Realplayer plugins for Konqueror web browser