Problem updating to KDE 3.1.1a using apt-get

Problem updating to KDE 3.1.1a using apt-get

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 01 May 2003 00:12:18

Hi,
I've added
rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3 kde3-extras
rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3-test
to my /etc/sources.list file and apt-get update seems to work OK, when I
  execut apt-get update, I get (among others):
Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test pkglist
Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test release

Problem now is that apt-get install kde-test doesn't work. I want to get
  kde-3.1.1. According to the FAQ, 'apt-get install kde-test' is what I
need to do.

Unfortunately, that just gives me
# apt-get install kde-test
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package kde-test

apt-get install kde3-test gives the same result.

This seems to be the same as the problem here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2024778&forum_...

The interesting thing is that synaptic seems to find the updated
packages OK. It's just a bear to run remotely...

What amn I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tim

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 01 May 2003 00:56:28

> Hi,
> I've added
> rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3 kde3-extras
> rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3-test
> to my /etc/sources.list file and apt-get update seems to work OK, when I
>   execut apt-get update, I get (among others):
> Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test pkglist
> Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test release

> Problem now is that apt-get install kde-test doesn't work. I want to get
>   kde-3.1.1. According to the FAQ, 'apt-get install kde-test' is what I
> need to do.

Oops, FAQ is wrong...

apt-get install kde

is the way to go.

-- Rex

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 01 May 2003 01:20:19

>>Hi,
>>I've added
>>rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3 kde3-extras
>>rpm ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org/linux/kde-redhat/apt 8.0 kde3-test
>>to my /etc/sources.list file and apt-get update seems to work OK, when I
>>  execut apt-get update, I get (among others):
>>Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test pkglist
>>Hit ftp://ftp.mn-linux.org 8.0/kde3-test release

>>Problem now is that apt-get install kde-test doesn't work. I want to get
>>  kde-3.1.1. According to the FAQ, 'apt-get install kde-test' is what I
>>need to do.

> Oops, FAQ is wrong...

> apt-get install kde

> is the way to go.

I did that originally (well, actually, apt-get install
kdenetwrok-devel). But that's just gave me kde-3.1 :-(

# apt-get install kde
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
kde is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 54 not upgraded.

# rpm -q kdebase
kdebase-3.1-9.3.8.0

What now?

Thanks,
Tim

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 01 May 2003 02:02:08

>> Oops, FAQ is wrong...

>> apt-get install kde

>> is the way to go.

> I did that originally (well, actually, apt-get install
> kdenetwrok-devel). But that's just gave me kde-3.1 :-(

> # apt-get install kde
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> kde is already the newest version.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 54 not upgraded.

> # rpm -q kdebase
> kdebase-3.1-9.3.8.0

> What now?

Normally,
apt-get dist-upgrade
but this is broken for rh8, since redhat released broken kde packages, so
you'll need to:

Step 1:
apt-get upgrade

Step 2: And then if there are any packages "held back", manually to apt to
install them too:
apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

-- Rex

Problem updating to KDE 3.1.1a using apt-get

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 01 May 2003 03:21:15

<snip>

>>What now?

> Normally,
> apt-get dist-upgrade

Wouldn't that theoretically update me to RH 9? (If it worked)

Quote:> but this is broken for rh8, since redhat released broken kde packages

What do you mean? RH 9's kde is broken, too?

Quote:> ..., so
> you'll need to:

> Step 1:
> apt-get upgrade

What is this supposed to do? When I try this, I get the following
# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be upgraded
   ImageMagick alsa-lib autoconf automake automake14 automake15 fftw
gaim ghostscript gtk-engines gtk2-engines hpijs kdeadmin kdegames kdepim
kdepim-devel
   koffice libart_lgpl libart_lgpl-devel libdv libdvdcss libogg
libogg-devel libvorbis libvorbis-devel libxml2 libxml2-devel
libxml2-python libxslt
   libxslt-devel mpg321 nmap quanta rpm rpm-build rpm-devel rpm-python
vcdimager vorbis-tools xmms xmms-devel xmms-skins xsri
The following packages have been kept back
   grip gtk+ gtk+-devel gtk2 gtk2-devel id3lib id3lib-devel k3b
kdeartwork kdevelop libdvdread
43 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 11 not upgraded.
Need to get 49.2MB/63.7MB of archives.
After unpacking 9281kB of additional disk space will be used.

None of the packages listed are kdebase, or kdelibs (or kdenetwork...),
either those kept back, or upgraded. It doesn't seem like this will get
me to kde-3.1.1. I don't want to upgrade all those packages without
knowing why apt wants to update them, and how that's going to allow me
to update kde.

Quote:> Step 2: And then if there are any packages "held back", manually to apt to
> install them too:
> apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

But shouldn't executing 'apt-get install kdebase' accomplish this,
without the 'apt-get upgrade' step?

Anyway, here's another interesting little nugget to chew on:
When I run synaptic, it lists two versions for kdebase, the installed
kdebase-3.1 and an available kdebase-3.1.1a. But synaptic doesn't
display it as an upgradeable package. I can Keep it, or Remove it, but
not Upgrade.

Regards,
Tim

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 01 May 2003 05:31:23

>> Normally,
>> apt-get dist-upgrade

> Wouldn't that theoretically update me to RH 9? (If it worked)

Possibly, *if* you added a redhat 9 repository to apt's sources.list.

Quote:>> but this is broken for rh8, since redhat released broken kde packages
> What do you mean? RH 9's kde is broken, too?

No, only rh8 is broken in this regard.  You *could* try removing any/all
'os' and 'updates' repositories from apt's sources.list and try 'apt-get
dist-upgrade' as well.

Quote:>> ..., so
>> you'll need to:

>> Step 1:
>> apt-get upgrade

> What is this supposed to do? When I try this, I get the following
> # apt-get upgrade
> None of the packages listed are kdebase, or kdelibs (or kdenetwork...),
> either those kept back, or upgraded. It doesn't seem like this will get
> me to kde-3.1.1. I don't want to upgrade all those packages without
> knowing why apt wants to update them, and how that's going to allow me
> to update kde.

I'll have to check, but it looks like the mirror you're using is
out-of-date, and possibly doesn't contain all of kde-3.1.1 (yet).

Quote:>> Step 2: And then if there are any packages "held back", manually to apt
>> to install them too:
>> apt-get install pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
> But shouldn't executing 'apt-get install kdebase' accomplish this,
> without the 'apt-get upgrade' step?

Yes, but you want to update/upgrade all available packages, don't you?

Quote:> Anyway, here's another interesting little nugget to chew on:
> When I run synaptic, it lists two versions for kdebase, the installed
> kdebase-3.1 and an available kdebase-3.1.1a. But synaptic doesn't
> display it as an upgradeable package. I can Keep it, or Remove it, but
> not Upgrade.

Wierd indeed.  Try replacing the references to the mn-linux.org mirror with
ftp://apt.unl.edu/apt and see if you have better luck.  (Besides, we just
put in a few good juicy updates into kde3-test today).  (-:

-- Rex

Problem updating to KDE 3.1.1a using apt-get

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 01 May 2003 11:51:57

<snip>
>>Anyway, here's another interesting little nugget to chew on:
>>When I run synaptic, it lists two versions for kdebase, the installed
>>kdebase-3.1 and an available kdebase-3.1.1a. But synaptic doesn't
>>display it as an upgradeable package. I can Keep it, or Remove it, but
>>not Upgrade.

> Wierd indeed.  Try replacing the references to the mn-linux.org mirror with
> ftp://apt.unl.edu/apt and see if you have better luck.  (Besides, we just
> put in a few good juicy updates into kde3-test today).  (-:

Will try this. But it looks like time will be short over the next coupla
days. At least by the weekend, though.

Thanks,
Tim

Post by Gene Hesket » Thu, 01 May 2003 16:19:53

> <snip>

>>>What now?

>> Normally,
>> apt-get dist-upgrade

> Wouldn't that theoretically update me to RH 9? (If it worked)

>> but this is broken for rh8, since redhat released broken kde packages

> What do you mean? RH 9's kde is broken, too?

More like *ed.  If you want to upgrade kde on rh8.0 or rh9, the only
way I'd ever do it again is with the garnome style utility, "konstruct",
which will labor far into the night building you a complete, as issued, kde
install on your red hat system.  I've done this to 2 machines now, just
finishing up the final pass of 5 to get it right on an old rh7.3 box, and
on this much faster one for the 3rd time after doing a 'cvs up -dP' on it.
There is no comparison between what RH ships and the real kde.  This works.
rh's doesn't.  Rip it out by the roots and do it right.

I spent a day trying to get their only approved email agent, evolution, to
connect and get my email from a pop server.  Kmail was, once I got the real
kde installed, confgured in less than 2 minutes, and downloaded 2 days
worth of email in another 2 minutes.  The version of evolution (the
official email agent they supply) that shipped with rh8.0 apparently had
only imap support.  Its been updated by up2date once, and now it works, but
who cares?  Too little, and way the hell and gone too late.

Quote:

--
Cheers, Gene
A mostly retired old coot

Post by Gene Hesket » Fri, 02 May 2003 16:21:31

>>> What do you mean? RH 9's kde is broken, too?

>> More like *ed.

> Nice FUD slinging.  Details?

Ok, an 'everything' install.  The only email agent available from the
startup menu was evolution.  I tried for over a day to make it talk to my
ISP's mail server without success.  Its menu's and configs all seemed to be
imap related, but my ISP uses pop3 on a winderz system.

I finally found the package collection at kde thats for rh8.0, grabbed all
106 packages with gftp. I cd'd to the dir I'd put them in after stopping x,
and had rpm update them all.

On restarting x, I had all my older kde prefs back, checked the server
configs in kmail and hit the fechmail button.  A short time later I had
about 90 emails to catch up with.

IMO, shipping an imap only capable mailer was one of the dumber things.  Not
*the* dumbest of course, messing with kde in the first place was the
dumbest.  Bernard R. quit RH over that, or have you forgotten?

I've got a copy of 9 here, sitting on top of debian's 8 disk stash.  I've
been redhat's fan since 5.1, but their constant diddling of the better gui
to make it no better than the other gui is grounds enough that if I should
decide to re-install, it will be from the debian disks.

Maybe the tk/tcl thats on those disks will let me run a make xconfig again,
without having to edit out the new features in the kernel config that cause
tk to crash and burn.  RH is aware of this, but hasn't to my knowledge
offered an updated tk/tcl package to fix it.  Too much trouble you see.

If RH could see past their gnome preferences, and see that this is driving
people away, which in turn is impacting the bottom line, I think they would
fix it.  I've bought the boxed sets up to 7.1 from 5.1, but when you
experience the thing first hand, there's no way I'd pay for the boxed 8.0,
and here I sit, reading all the horror stories about 9 being broken here
and there.  I've got better things to do than fight with them over *my*
choice in desktops.   Its my machine.

--
Cheers, Gene
A mostly retired old coot

Post by Rex Diete » Fri, 02 May 2003 19:23:45

> >> More like *ed.

> > Nice FUD slinging.  Details?

> Ok, an 'everything' install.  The only email agent available from the
> startup menu was evolution.

I guess you didn't look hard enough (kmail, mozilla-mail are at least 2
others you missed).

Quote:> IMO, shipping an imap only capable mailer was one of the dumber things.

AFAIK, none of evolution, kmail, mozilla-mail are IMAP-only.  What makes you
think that?

Quote:> *the* dumbest of course, messing with kde in the first place was the
> dumbest.

I'd argue that at least most, if not all, of redhat's "modifications" are
justified, in that they either provide a better desktop experience and/or
additional functionality/stability.  Now, if you want to continue to argue
that this is the "dumbest thing ever", be my guest.

Realize too that almost *all* distributions modify/patch kde in some way,
shape, or form.  Have you seen Mandrake's KDE?  It certainly is patched
together much more heavily than redhat, but you'll never see anyone here
complaining about their "modifications from pristine kde".

Quote:> Bernard R. quit RH over that, or have you forgotten?

The *exact/precise* reasons bero quit are at best unclear, other than it
having something to do with redhat's kde.  I, for one, would sure as heck
love to know exactly what left him to leave too.  But, in the meantime,
please don't speculate.

Quote:> Maybe the tk/tcl thats on those disks will let me run a make xconfig
again,
> without having to edit out the new features in the kernel config that
cause
> tk to crash and burn.  RH is aware of this, but hasn't to my knowledge
> offered an updated tk/tcl package to fix it.  Too much trouble you see.
> If RH could see past their gnome preferences, and see that this is driving
> people away, which in turn is impacting the bottom line, I think they
would
> fix it.  I've bought the boxed sets up to 7.1 from 5.1, but when you
> experience the thing first hand, there's no way I'd pay for the boxed 8.0,
> and here I sit, reading all the horror stories about 9 being broken here
> and there.  I've got better things to do than fight with them over *my*
> choice in desktops.   Its my machine.

Sure 8.0 was a bit experimental (new compiler, new XFree86, new KDE, new
Gnome), but IMO, 9 is much better.  I can't comment on your experiences, but
"reading horror stories about 9 being broken" is not something I can relate
to: it works well for me, and most of the problems I've read of people
having *usually* are caused, at least in part, to user-error.

My biggest problem with your comments is that you're making it sound like
they either *intentionally* break stuff or simply don't care, which
obviously isn't true.

-- Rex

Post by Gene Hesket » Fri, 02 May 2003 20:56:02

>> > Nice FUD slinging.  Details?

>> Ok, an 'everything' install.  The only email agent available from the
>> startup menu was evolution.

> I guess you didn't look hard enough (kmail, mozilla-mail are at least 2
> others you missed).

kmail, even from the cli, was on the missing list.  And mozilla-mail doesn't
offer to authenticate itself to the server in that version.

Quote:>> IMO, shipping an imap only capable mailer was one of the dumber things.

> AFAIK, none of evolution, kmail, mozilla-mail are IMAP-only.  What makes
> you think that?

No pop related options were offered in the config screens, and it wouldn't
let you type the corect stuff in, it was one of their multiple choices or
hit the road jack.

Quote:>> *the* dumbest of course, messing with kde in the first place was the
>> dumbest.

> I'd argue that at least most, if not all, of redhat's "modifications" are
> justified, in that they either provide a better desktop experience and/or
> additional functionality/stability.  Now, if you want to continue to argue
> that this is the "dumbest thing ever", be my guest.

> Realize too that almost *all* distributions modify/patch kde in some way,
> shape, or form.  Have you seen Mandrake's KDE?  It certainly is patched
> together much more heavily than redhat, but you'll never see anyone here
> complaining about their "modifications from pristine kde".

>> Bernard R. quit RH over that, or have you forgotten?

> The *exact/precise* reasons bero quit are at best unclear, other than it
> having something to do with redhat's kde.  I, for one, would sure as heck
> love to know exactly what left him to leave too.  But, in the meantime,
> please don't speculate.

I'm not speculating a bit.  He posted, for the world to read, the reasons he
quit as he posted his letter of resignation.  /. had the links at the time
& probably still do if one knew howto find it.

Quote:>> Maybe the tk/tcl thats on those disks will let me run a make xconfig
> again,
>> without having to edit out the new features in the kernel config that
> cause
>> tk to crash and burn.  RH is aware of this, but hasn't to my knowledge
>> offered an updated tk/tcl package to fix it.  Too much trouble you see.

>> If RH could see past their gnome preferences, and see that this is
>> driving people away, which in turn is impacting the bottom line, I think
>> they
> would
>> fix it.  I've bought the boxed sets up to 7.1 from 5.1, but when you
>> experience the thing first hand, there's no way I'd pay for the boxed
>> 8.0, and here I sit, reading all the horror stories about 9 being broken
>> here
>> and there.  I've got better things to do than fight with them over *my*
>> choice in desktops.   Its my machine.

> Sure 8.0 was a bit experimental (new compiler, new XFree86, new KDE, new
> Gnome), but IMO, 9 is much better.  I can't comment on your experiences,
> but "reading horror stories about 9 being broken" is not something I can
> relate to: it works well for me, and most of the problems I've read of
> people having *usually* are caused, at least in part, to user-error.

> My biggest problem with your comments is that you're making it sound like
> they either *intentionally* break stuff or simply don't care, which
> obviously isn't true.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because to me, from my frustration in
just getting a working system again after the upgrade was about a months
work running down little picky-assed stuff.  I'd never changed the default
window decoration away from bluecurve, but thats exactly what fixed my x
lockups.  It turned out it was a known bug in bluecurve, but to this day, I
don't think a fix has been issued because it doesn't bother gnome.  'scuse
me but it's just another way to make kde look like some script kiddies
output when it is far better polished than the gnome I've seen here.

Tell ya what Rex, I'll try gnome again when I can click on a blank screen
area, bring up a menu, and add a new application icon that works with 3 or
4 more clicks and typing in the names.   Then if I want it on the taskbar,
just drag and drop it there, then delete the one in the window if you'd
like.  But thats not how *they* want to do it, you have to learn some
other, far less intuitive method to do that.  Get the taskbar all fixed up
like you want it, (I did that with rh7.1) and the damned thing will
disappear and the only way to get it back is to re-install from the cd's.

And that is warm, usually green, found on the ground behind the male bovine
species.  Gnome may well be able to do anything kde can, but the keywords
are both configurability and usability, and the configurability portion is
sorely lacking so I don't have a long term usability rank to give it, I
can't stand the fight to get it to actually do usable work when whole
sections of it go away wth no means of recovery.

--
Cheers, Gene
A mostly retired old coot

Post by Rex Diete » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:34:30

>>> Bernard R. quit RH over that, or have you forgotten?

>> The exact/precise reasons bero quit are at best unclear, other than it
>> having something to do with redhat's kde.  I, for one, would sure as heck
>> love to know exactly what left him to leave too.  But, in the meantime,
>> please don't speculate.

> I'm not speculating a bit.  He posted, for the world to read, the reasons
> he quit as he posted his letter of resignation.  /. had the links at the
> time & probably still do if one knew howto find it.

I read that letter and links at the time, and to my memory basically all it
said was that he and redhat agreed to disagree on several things, including
redhat's handling of kde.  I remember no mention of *details*.

-- Rex

Post by Rex Diete » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:35:41

>>> IMO, shipping an imap only capable mailer was one of the dumber things.

>> AFAIK, none of evolution, kmail, mozilla-mail are IMAP-only.  What makes
>> you think that?

> No pop related options were offered in the config screens, and it wouldn't
> let you type the corect stuff in, it was one of their multiple choices or
> hit the road jack.

You must be using a different kmail/mozilla-mail than on *my* redhat9 box,
because I've got pop running just fine on all mail clients: evolution,
kmail, and mozilla-mail.

-- Rex

Post by Rex Diete » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:38:20

>>> Ok, an 'everything' install.  The only email agent available from the
>>> startup menu was evolution.

>> I guess you didn't look hard enough (kmail, mozilla-mail are at least 2
>> others you missed).

> kmail, even from the cli, was on the missing list.  And mozilla-mail
> doesn't offer to authenticate itself to the server in that version.

What do mean "kmail was on the missing list?".  It's there in the menu on my
box, K->Internet->More Internet Applications->Kmail.

And the fact the mozilla-mail doesn't support a feature you want doesn't
support your conclusion that "the only email agent available was
evolution".

-- Rex

1. apt-get: libkdefx reloation error: redhat 8.0 kde 3.1

Hey there,

        I've got a bit of a mess of a system. :)
Apt-get upgraded from 7.3 to 8.0...that took a little doing. I got stuff
working stably with kde 3.0.5, but want to
upgrade to 3.1 now. The packages seem to upgrade properly, but I have
trouble getting the thing to go back
into kde afterwards. Any calls to kwin, or startkde get this error:

kwin: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkdefx.so.4: undefined symbol:
_ZN12QPaintDevice13setResolutionEi

I also tried to follow the instructions given by Rex on upgrading
through apt, but to no avail.
I found that libdkefx comes from the kdelibs package. This is the output
of from my pc
for the command: rpm -qa|grep kde
lockdev-1.0.0-20
kdebase-3.1-9.0.8.0
kde-3.1-3.0.8.0
kdegraphics-3.1-1.3.8.0
kdeutils-3.1-1.3.8.0
kdeartwork-3.1-1.2.8.0
kdelibs-3.1-9.1.8.0
kdenetwork-3.1-3.0.8.0
kdesdk-gimp-3.0.5-1
kdemultimedia-3.1-2.0.8.0

If anyone could help, that'd be great!!!

Thanks,

Koby

2. Is there a mailing list for 'Linux user group administrators'

3. apt-get kde 3.1 error

4. Cheap Linux Modems Are Out There!

5. Mandrake 9.0 rpms for KDE 3.1.1 or 3.1.1a

6. Need Info for Visual 550 Terminal

7. Trouble compiling KDE 3.1.1a on RH 9

8. HELP! --> MIRANDA system for LINUX or DOS/WIN needed!

9. Missing libraries in KDE 3.1.1a depenendcy tree

10. Security update for YDL 2.3 of April 9th & apt-get problem

11. HOW TO apt-get update WORKING

12. apt-get update/upgrade fails on Debian box

13. perl error by update with apt-get on debian