Kmid and sequencer busy problem

Post by Dirk T. Verbee » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
I've got a fresh RH6.2 install on a Toshiba Satellite 2710.
Most things work fine except when I want to play something with the
karaoke/midi player Kmid I get a message "Couldn't open /dev/sequencer,
Probably there is another program using it".
When I look a /dev/sequencer its only 0 bytes in size.
I've not yet been able to find a solution to this problem.....
Another sound-related problem was that after installation of the maestro
sound module I got problems during boot-up with the pcmcia detection, I've
come around it by first choosing interactive star-tup and leaving pcmcia
detection alone but now I've changed he bios pcmcia settings from PCIC to
Cardbus and it allows an uinterrupted boot.
There might be a connection, some shared interrupt maybe?
I've asked the question in the laptop group but I especially need some ifo
about that sequencer.

Thanks all!

Dirk

Kmid and sequencer busy problem

Post by Thoma » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

/dev means devices. Things like serial ports can be found there. As can
audio stuff.

/dev/mixer and /dev/audio can be found there as well.

/dev/sequencer is the interface to your midi card. You wil still need a driver for
that. Make shure you have a driver in your kernel or in your kernel modules.
Check a HOWTO for that if you are not shure
(use www.google.com and type)
  HOWTO linux MIDI

make shure that /dev/sequencer is writable to you (chmod 666 /dev/sequencer)

If this doesn't help send me the output of the following commands

ls -al /dev/sequncer

cat /dev/sequencer

cat /proc/pci

Quote:> Hi all,
> I've got a fresh RH6.2 install on a Toshiba Satellite 2710.
> Most things work fine except when I want to play something with the
> karaoke/midi player Kmid I get a message "Couldn't open /dev/sequencer,
> Probably there is another program using it".
> When I look a /dev/sequencer its only 0 bytes in size.
> I've not yet been able to find a solution to this problem.....
> Another sound-related problem was that after installation of the maestro
> sound module I got problems during boot-up with the pcmcia detection, I've
> come around it by first choosing interactive star-tup and leaving pcmcia
> detection alone but now I've changed he bios pcmcia settings from PCIC to
> Cardbus and it allows an uinterrupted boot.
> There might be a connection, some shared interrupt maybe?
> I've asked the question in the laptop group but I especially need some ifo
> about that sequencer.
> Thanks all!

same here.

1. Can't find module char-major-5, sound busy no /dev/sequencer nor synth0

Modprobe cannor find these
char-major-5
block-major-30 thru 38
synth0

What exactly are they? I think a character set and a block device but what?

I really could use some help here. I have been wracking my brain trying to get
all these things solved.

I use RH6.1 upgraded from 5.2 - my awe32 will not detect but can play the sound
under sndconfig until it goes to the second test.

2. Can anybody help with setting up a time server under SCO UNIX.

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Solaris 2.3 accounting problem - runacct

5. KMid problem

6. ViewSonic G790 Monitor problem...

7. KMid Problems

8. Help! Can't create partition whei installing RH6.1!

9. tip reports "all ports busy" on a not-at-all busy modem

10. /dev/audio and /dev/sequencer problems!

11. sound problem: /dev/sequencer not found

12. Karaoke and Sequencer problem in KDE

13. Problems installing linuxPPC lite - sequencer ram parity error?