kmail quoting

Post by William Seage » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:29:38

Hi all. I'm probably missing something obvious, but how
do you set kmail so that it does *not* quote the
a way to set the quoted message to appear below
my reply rather than above it .... (I hope that's
clear )  TIA,
--
William Seager

kmail quoting

Post by Robert_ » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:26:32

> how
> do you set kmail so that it does not quote the
> a way to set the quoted message to appear below
> my reply rather than above it

As I did above, you just highlight what you want from the message before
you hit "reply".
As to the 2nd question I don't know, and you would probably get flamed for
it by some irritable NG lurker who doesn't like this Outlook Express way of
quoting.  AFAIK usenet convention dictates responding in context or at the
least BELOW the quoted material.

all the best,
Robert_L
--
Registered linux user #214645

kmail quoting

Post by ne.. » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:51:03

Quote:>Hi all. I'm probably missing something obvious, buthow
>do you set kmail so that it does *not* quote the
>a way to set the quoted message to appear below
>my reply rather than above it .... (I hope that's
>clear )  TIA,

First off, when you reply the quoted message should be
above your reply to provide context. Next, if you do
not need the whole msg, highlight a single line before
you hit reply. This should only quote the highlighted
line.

Azh nazg durbatal^ uk, azh nazg gimbatul,
Azh nazg thrakatal^ uk agh burzum ishi krimpatul!
                -- J. R. R. Tolkien
 10:48am  up 7 days, 19:13, 16 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.04

kmail quoting

Post by Robert_ » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 08:20:05

> I thought that convension is applicable only to newsgroup posts. For
> e-mail the convension is the opposite way - i.e., reply first, followed by
> the context, if any necessary. I don't use MSOE. My Windows mailing
> software (Turnpike) allows me to put quotes either before or after my
> reply. Groupware from Novel (I use it in my workplace) always puts the
> quote after my reply.

> For Kmail I just put the cursor at the top and then put my reply
> ahead of the quote.

Yes, I was in newsgroup mode and the fact I was responding to a question on
kmail didn't dawn on me.
Morale: don't post just before rushing to catch a train.
My advice about highlighting text still applies.

I notice that the default in kmail is to put quoted material below so I
guess you are correct .

all the best,
Robert_L
--

Post by Harmen Schaa » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:39:49

> Hi all. I'm probably missing something obvious, but how
> do you set kmail so that it does *not* quote the
> a way to set the quoted message to appear below
> my reply rather than above it .... (I hope that's
> clear )  TIA,

alt-R ????
Check Message->Reply-without-quote (maybe you have another keybinding)
KMail 1.3 btw... not sure what version you are running...

--
Harmen Schaap

kmail quoting

Post by William Seage » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 00:31:03

Thanks to everyone. Where else
could I get so much useful
info about kmail ... and lessons
in etiquette too.

--
William Seager

kmail quoting

Post by Robert_ » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:02:13

> Thanks to everyone. Where else
> could I get so much useful
> info about kmail ... and lessons
> in etiquette too.

I hope this wasn't sarcasm-- I explained already that I was in a rush and
was thinking knode (usenet) rather than kmail.
all the best,
Anyway- glad you found what you were after.
Robert_L
--
Registered linux user #214645

1. KMail & Quoted Printable

Hi!
Is there a way to make KMail display messages with quoted printables
correctly? I do get mails from a MUTT-user who uses quoted printables --
and it kinda looks ugly in KMail.
(KDE 2.2.2)

Arne

--
In the beginning was the word.
But by the time the second word was added to it,

[--- PGP key available on http://www.root42.de/ ---]

2. floating point exceptions

3. Quotes in quotes

4. Problems getting LILO to load Win95...

5. Q: sh: Can I quote '"' in a double quoted string?

6. Qmail and multiple "alias@virtual.com"

7. replace single quote to double quote with an example

8. path with XDM ?

9. quoted strings within quoted strings

10. Quoting quotes in m4?

11. Double quotes within double quotes (no apostrophes)

12. Problem in sed using double quotes and single quotes

13. to quote or not to quote?