DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Jack Chen » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:34:04

Hi all,

I have a 10MB lan in computer connect only to my home hub and I assigned it
an IP(random & imaginary) when I set up. However, I also need to do a dialup
to the company that I worked for.

How do I display the remote GUI client ?

I've try the ip assigned to me through ppp using "setenv DISPLAY
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0.0".

I am not sure if I should use the "0.0" follow the ip. I seem to remember it
was not necessary that way.

Or does my local lan caused confusion of the remote client that try to
connect the local X server? At least I remember from several years back when
I did not have lan card, it displayed without problem back to local system.

Any hint ?

Thanks,

Jack(Wei-Chi) Cheng

Post by Mark Sling » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:06:55

> Hi all,

> I have a 10MB lan in computer connect only to my home hub and I assigned
> it an IP(random & imaginary) when I set up. However, I also need to do a
> dialup to the company that I worked for.

> How do I display the remote GUI client ?

You have to allow remote clients on the local X server. Take a look at the
xhost command. Something like xhost +rem.ote.ip.add should do it

Mark.

--
Mark Slingo

http://www.slingo.nq.nu

DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Jack Chen » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:42:25

Ah, I totally forgot about this one. Thanks !

Jack

> > Hi all,

> > I have a 10MB lan in computer connect only to my home hub and I assigned
> > it an IP(random & imaginary) when I set up. However, I also need to do a
> > dialup to the company that I worked for.

> > How do I display the remote GUI client ?

> You have to allow remote clients on the local X server. Take a look at the
> xhost command. Something like xhost +rem.ote.ip.add should do it

> Mark.

> --
> Mark Slingo

> http://www.slingo.nq.nu

DISPLAY environment variable

Post by Jack Chen » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 01:03:17

Just to let everyone know that my problem was caused by the default firewall
setup in RH7.1. I do not know 'yet' how to set that up to appropriate
display remote client. However, the remote client display without problem
after I 'deactivate' the firewall.

Jack

> Ah, I totally forgot about this one. Thanks !

> Jack

> > > Hi all,

> > > I have a 10MB lan in computer connect only to my home hub and I
assigned
> > > it an IP(random & imaginary) when I set up. However, I also need to do
> > > dialup to the company that I worked for.

> > > How do I display the remote GUI client ?

> > You have to allow remote clients on the local X server. Take a look at
the
> > xhost command. Something like xhost +rem.ote.ip.add should do it

> > Mark.

> > --
> > Mark Slingo

> > http://www.slingo.nq.nu

1. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

When trying to run NETCFG I get the following error
        TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

This also happens when I try to run ethercfg.  This is a standalone
fresh install on a machine that I want to get up on the network.  The
NIC cards are in the box but not configured yet.  I am running Redhat
5.2.

I have tried the following with no luck:
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
   export DISPLAY=:0
These were mentioned in some other posts I found as possible
solutions.

Please remove NOSPAM from email address before replying via Email

2. Zmail/Motif problems

3. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

4. SQL-Retrivers - Informix server won't start

5. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

6. JDK 1.0.2 can not resolv symbol __libc_malloc

7. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

8. Questions on ethernet setup

9. Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

10. Automatically Set DISPLAY Environment Variable after rlogin

11. What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

12. DISPLAY Environment Variable

13. Error: $DISPLAY environment variable not set.