Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by dani » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:34:08



Hello
I have a standard RH7.1 installation, and I tried to upgrade to KDE
2.2.1.
I downloaded very many rpm files from a kde.org mirror but I could not
install them.
Almost any package that I tried to install complains about a conflict
or a dependency.
I also tried to install KDE 2.2 first, but here I have the same
problems.

For example, when I try to install from the 2.2 non-kde set 'glibc' it
complains
about an invalid glibc-common, and when I try to install glibc-common,
it complains about an invalid glibc.

Is it safe to ignore these warnings: I suppose not
Also I couldnt find an adequate installation guide for kde 2.2.1, can
anybody give me a link? Or a script file that will install the whole
set in one go?

Thanks
Daniel

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:33:57


We tried the same thing and encountered the same results.

Enquiries to kde.org resulted in vague suggestions which did not work
and then no suggestions at all.

We are at a loss to understand why the binaries cannot be packaged
properly, with a simple set of instructions. If M$ can make software
which installs, why not kde?


Quote:>Hello
>I have a standard RH7.1 installation, and I tried to upgrade to KDE
>2.2.1.
>I downloaded very many rpm files from a kde.org mirror but I could not
>install them.
>Almost any package that I tried to install complains about a conflict
>or a dependency.
>I also tried to install KDE 2.2 first, but here I have the same
>problems.

>For example, when I try to install from the 2.2 non-kde set 'glibc' it
>complains
>about an invalid glibc-common, and when I try to install glibc-common,
>it complains about an invalid glibc.

>Is it safe to ignore these warnings: I suppose not
>Also I couldnt find an adequate installation guide for kde 2.2.1, can
>anybody give me a link? Or a script file that will install the whole
>set in one go?

>Thanks
>Daniel


 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:18:46



> >For example, when I try to install from the 2.2 non-kde set 'glibc' it
> >complains
> >about an invalid glibc-common, and when I try to install glibc-common,
> >it complains about an invalid glibc.

OK, people.  I need to vent a bit.  I keep reading posts from people who
don't know how to install kde via rpm (at least the non-trivial kde rpms
with dependencies).  It's really not that hard.  Really.

Now, It would even be abolutely easiest if distributions had a single rpm
for all of kde:
rpm --install kde-everything-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm.
Of course, this file would be absolutely HUGE and include ALL of kde, which
most people don't really want or need.  So, kde is chopped into parts.  The
problem with this is that these individual parts get numerous, and some of
these parts depend on other parts, so it gets a little more complicated to
sort out.

Here's my first a bit of suggestions/help:

1st, sometimes packages need to be installed AT THE SAME TIME, in order to
handle some complicated cross-dependencies, etc...
In the case above, glibc and glibc-common can be upgraded using:
rpm -Uvh glibc-2.2*.rpm glibc-common-2.2*.rpm

2nd, if the above step fails, add the new required rpm on the same line and
try again:
rpm -Uvh glibc-2.2*.rpm glibc-common-2.2*.rpm newdependancy.rpm

and repeat until all dependencies are satisfied.

If you STILL can't figure it out, please post here your specific problem and
errors you receive.  I (and others I'm sure) are here and are very willing
to help you if you provide enough detail.


handle it and wait for a distribution to include KDE 2.2.1 for you (like the
soon to be released RedHat 7.2).

p.s.  And Please, please do not ever use rpm --force (or rpm --nodeps).
Dependencies are there for a reason.

p.p.s.  Newer versions of redhat's up2date and ximian's red-carpet are nice
ways of distributing software that handles dependencies for you (ie, it
automatically installs/upgrades prerequisites), but of course, these need to
be setup for you (by redhat, ximian respectively), of course.

--
Rex Dieter
Computer System Administrator
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Nebraska Lincoln

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 02:44:21



> and repeat until all dependencies are satisfied.

Or just create a directory for the purpose and move all the rpm's into
here. Then login as root in console/failsafe and cd to the directory
and run:
rpm -Uvh *.rpm
--
Thomas O.

This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:56:11


On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:18:46 -0500, "Rex Dieter"
[snip]
This begs the question of why KDE needs such complexity in the first
place.

Is it beyond the reach of today's technology to make installation
simple? If there genuinely is a need for all the many options which,
as you suggest, give KDE installation so many permuations, then why
not put together a simplified package for those of us who use
computers as tools?

Many who frequent this group are literate in the arcana of GNU/Linux
software, including complex installations and compilations. You forget
the far larger group for whom the computer, its OS, and its
applications are tools to ends not related to OS expertise. In short,
if you offer software which only sysadmins can handle, then you will
satisfy only them and continue to lose the rest of us to M$ because of
the intense frustrations encountered in trying to use GNU/Linux
software.

It will avail you little to point the finger of blame at the
frustrated novice user. That serves only to alienate those in whose
hands GNU/Linux's future lies.

        - David Fisher

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:58:43


On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:44:21 +0200, Thomas Overgaard


>Or just create a directory for the purpose and move all the rpm's into
>here. Then login as root in console/failsafe and cd to the directory
>and run:
>rpm -Uvh *.rpm

We tried that, and the result was a slightly different set of error
messages from RPM. If you do not first know precisely which RPMs are
required, then it's improbable that this approach will make a great
deal of difference.

        - David Fisher

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:33:52



> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:18:46 -0500, "Rex Dieter"

> This begs the question of why KDE needs such complexity in the first
> place.

I'll quote part of my previous post:

Now, It would even be abolutely easiest if distributions had a single rpm
for all of kde:
rpm --install kde-everything-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm.
Of course, this file would be absolutely HUGE and include ALL of kde, which
most people don't really want or need.  So, kde is chopped into parts.  The
problem with this is that these individual parts get numerous, and some of
these parts depend on other parts, so it gets a little more complicated to
sort out.

Quote:> then why not put together a simplified package for those of us who use
> computers as tools?

The "simplified" version of the install is also referred to in my previous
post:


handle it and wait for a distribution to include KDE 2.2.1 for you (like the
soon to be released RedHat 7.2).

Quote:> It will avail you little to point the finger of blame at the
> frustrated novice user.

Who's pointing fingers?

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics              
University of Nebraska Lincoln

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:35:04



> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:44:21 +0200, Thomas Overgaard

>>Or just create a directory for the purpose and move all the rpm's into
>>here. Then login as root in console/failsafe and cd to the directory
>>and run:
>>rpm -Uvh *.rpm

> We tried that, and the result was a slightly different set of error
> messages from RPM.

If you posted your error, I could probably tell you who/why it occurred,
and how rectify it.

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics              
University of Nebraska Lincoln

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:39:03



> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:44:21 +0200, Thomas Overgaard

>>Or just create a directory for the purpose and move all the rpm's into
>>here. Then login as root in console/failsafe and cd to the directory
>>and run:
>>rpm -Uvh *.rpm

> We tried that, and the result was a slightly different set of error
> messages from RPM. If you do not first know precisely which RPMs are
> required, then it's improbable that this approach will make a great
> deal of difference.

Where did you get these KDE rpm's from?

I just checket KDE's own ftp server and theres two set of rpm's out for
RH 7.1 (Roswell and RedHat-unofficial) and if you use a distro made for
RH 7.1 then you probably wont have to update glibc.

RedHat-unofficial seems to have all you need in the directory.
--
Thomas O.

This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:58:26




Quote:

>Who's pointing fingers?

Clearly, this dialogue is going nowhere.

If GNU/Linux is a cooperative venture among skilled amateurs, then my
complaints are out of place. After all, if I can't muster the
requisite skills, then I ought not to be playing the game.

If, however, GNU/Linux is intended to be accepted by the real world
(for real work in everyday usages) in large enough numbers to satisfy
claims being made for it, then the attitude that the user has to bend
to the software is a genuine loser. I use software to get work done,
not to amuse myself. If the software proposed for the job cannot be
installed easily, then it is not acceptable.

As for the suggestion that frustrated users post requests for help,
please note that I did so, directly with kde.org, weeks ago. The
result was a number of recommendations which did not work. When
kde.org was apprised of this, the result was two weeks of silence.

The installation problem has already been adverted to in this group.
It requires no further elucidation.

        - David

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:35:02



> As for the suggestion that frustrated users post requests for help,
> please note that I did so.

Not here.  

I don't believe it is reasonable to expect kde.org's to answer all
distribution-specific questions.  If you have a problem with redhat's
packaging, contact redhat.

I also don't believe it is fair to re-assert your original complaints after
having not responded to the offered help/advice/explanations.

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics              
University of Nebraska Lincoln

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:51:34




Quote:

>I also don't believe it is fair to re-assert your original complaints after
>having not responded to the offered help/advice/explanations.

I'm sorry; I thought that I had.

We tried the suggested approaches. They did not work. What part of
this remains unclear?

        - david Fisher

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by David Fishe » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:53:17


On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:39:03 +0200, Thomas Overgaard

>Where did you get these KDE rpm's from?

As I recall, they were from kde.org. We made a particular effort to
ensure getting all the RPMs which were needed, and I thought that we
did this as diligently as one could. Evidently, we were wrong.

        - David Fisher

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 05:57:11





>>I also don't believe it is fair to re-assert your original complaints
>>after having not responded to the offered help/advice/explanations.
> I'm sorry; I thought that I had.

> We tried the suggested approaches. They did not work. What part of
> this remains unclear?

I'm talking about the suggestions, advice, explanations offered HERE,
particularly by me.  (-:

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics              
University of Nebraska Lincoln

 
 
 

Problems installing KDE 2.2.1 on RH7.1

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 06:00:10



> As I recall, they were from kde.org. We made a particular effort to
> ensure getting all the RPMs which were needed, and I thought that we
> did this as diligently as one could. Evidently, we were wrong.

I just found out that Roswell is the RH 7.2 beta, this might be where
the glibc issue comes from if its these packages you have downloaded.
--
Thomas O.

This area is designed to become quite warm during normal operation.