Using the Win95 key as a modifier in KDE key schemes

Using the Win95 key as a modifier in KDE key schemes

Post by Rosenkranz Marku » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Prescriptum: This might (or should) be a FAQ, where can I check that
out?

You know, I've got this "beautiful" Windows key on my keyboard and since
it's already there, I would like to use it for some of the "Standard"
and "Global" key mappings. The ALT+ and CRTL+ combinations are highly
overused anyway.

So how can I do this? In the graphical dialog, we only get a choice of
SHIFT, ALT, and CTRL. But xmodmap tells me that "Super_L" and "Super_R"
are recognized as modifiers, so as far as XWindow is concerned, I could
use them. Now my first question is: Where can I find the configuration
file controlling the key mappings? I could not find any such information
in kdehelp. And if I find it, can I just substitute Super_L for Alt? I
am afraid not. So what should I do then?

Thanks in advance for any hackful hints.

Post by Stefan Taferne » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

> You know, I've got this "beautiful" Windows key on my keyboard and since
> it's already there, I would like to use it for some of the "Standard"
> and "Global" key mappings. The ALT+ and CRTL+ combinations are highly
> overused anyway.

Under X you can change the behaviour of the key globally for each
and every application. See manpage of xmodmap and try xev.

Maybe you need Kde 1.1.2 to be able to use global keys without
modifiers -- I cannot remember in which version it was implemented.

--
Stefan

1. how to distinguish enter key and key pad enter key?

UNIX Gurus,

I try to use normal enter key and keypad enter key in different ways.
Is there any way to distinguish it? I noticed that some times both
key passes same sequence code like 0b. But some times they are different.
One with 0b and another with escept characters. What trigs that?
Any way I can set it? Thanks for all help.

Hao Wang

2. PPP problem with 2.2 kernel

3. SUMMARY: how to distinguish enter key and key pad enter key?

4. FTP security

5. KDE 2.X key binding to Multimedia Keys

6. Intel boxes as multi-user servers

7. How to get command history using array key (or other keys) in SQLPLUS under Solaris 8

8. Help for newbie - Book

9. Customize: Global Keys - modifiers

10. apple key as modifier in X

11. X11 modifier keys & OpenWindows apps

12. FVWM modifier keys

13. Arrow keys in bash with modifiers