kmail question

Post by Jim Crole » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Is there a way to configure kmail to leave all the mail on an POP3
server but to download only unread messages?  Every time kmail checks
for mail, I get the whole load.  (Really wish it supported IMAP)....
--
Jim

kmail question

Post by Alan Swart » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a way to configure kmail to leave all the mail on an POP3
> server but to download only unread messages?  Every time kmail checks
> for mail, I get the whole load.  (Really wish it supported IMAP)....
> --
> Jim

Maybe I'm wrong ;-) but, I do not think that you can use a POP3 account
that way with any mail reader. Only with IMAP.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Alan Swartz

kmail question

Post by bdjohns1-use.. » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> Is there a way to configure kmail to leave all the mail on an POP3
>> server but to download only unread messages?  Every time kmail checks
>> for mail, I get the whole load.  (Really wish it supported IMAP)....
>> --
>> Jim
> Maybe I'm wrong ;-) but, I do not think that you can use a POP3 account
> that way with any mail reader. Only with IMAP.

Wrong.  You can have MS Outlook leave messages on the server, and it'll
only download what's new.  I don't remember the exact command in the
POP3 RFC, but there is one which will let you track which messages have
been read.  Granted, it is more primitive than the flags that IMAP
supports, but it does work.

IMO, people really all ought to move to IMAP.  There's really no reason
not to if your ISP is running Unix-based servers, since there's plenty
of good IMAP daemons there.  I still use mutt instead of any GUI
clients, in any case, because I want to read my e-mail without going
fromthe keyboard to the mouse.

--
Ben Johnson
bdjohns1 (at) uiuc (dot) edu

kmail question

Post by Chris Davie » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

While kmail can do this
File:Settings:Network:Incomming Mail.
Edit pop3 account  to remove "Delete mail from server" and "Retrieve all
mail from server"

Unfortunately there are some broken POP3 servers out there. The "safest
way is to use fetchmail to
POP your mail off the mail box as it creates unique identifiers for each
mail messageto avoid the above problem.

Chris
--
---
Chris Davies                        || Tel: +441223 810305  Fax: +441223

1. Kmail question (or general email question).

Can Kmail (or any other Linux email app) download ONLY the message
headers from the server? I have a wa*k*r that keeps sending me a file
named "sabres" which is over 1.5MB. Now the f****r's email address is a
spoof so I can't bounce it back to him. If only I could see the headers
and delete it at that stage.

PS Is this file a virus / trojan?

Thanks.

John.

--

Please "remove-this" from my email address to reply.

2. load text into clipboard?

3. A couple of Kmail questions

4. rarp on Linux?

5. kde-kmail question

6. GMC file type will not change colors! I'm not a newbie.

7. Kmail Question

8. Development & version control tools

9. Kmail question

10. kmail question