How do I create a dosfloppy.kdelnk file?

How do I create a dosfloppy.kdelnk file?

Post by Tim Willia » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to make a dosfloppy.kdelnk file so I can click on that to
mount and open a DOS (vfat) floppy.  I copied the floppy.kdelnk file
and thought I could just modify that. What I tried was to modify

MountPoint=/mnt/dosfloppy
FSType=vfat

However, when I click on the icon, I get the message

"Could not mount
Error log:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
       or too many mounted file systems

This is the same message I get if I try to mount a dos floppy as an
ext2 fs.

If I try to right-click on the icon and do a 'Mount vfat' I get the
message:

"mount: only root can do that"

HOWEVER, I can mount non-root from the command line.  From my
/etc/fstab:

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    user,noauto     0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/dosfloppy          vfat    user,noauto     0 0

If I do mount beforehand, I can click on the icon and a kfm window of
the floppy's contents shows up.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

--
Tim Williams

How do I create a dosfloppy.kdelnk file?

Post by David Faur » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Does it work better if you omit the MountPoint field ?
The "only root can do that" error message comes from specifying the
mount
point, I think. mount thinks you're trying to do something that is not
allowed (mounting to a different mountpoint than fstab says) - without
even checking that the specified path _is_ the one listed in fstab !

About the need for right-click + Mount vfat :
the idea here was that left-click means "mount default", i.e. with no
fstype specified. In the light of this, it looks like a bug though, when
a FSType is specified in the desktop file !
Will try to fix that in KDE 2 - ooh, it doesn't even read those two
fields
currently (!)....

--
David Faure

1. .kdelnk file (KDE 1.*) doesn't work in KDE 2.1

Using KDE 2.1 installed from source on a Red Hat 6.0 machine.

I've migrated my old kde 1.* .kdelnk application files to my
.kde2/share/applnk directory, and most work fine (either from the
K-start menu, or when dragged onto kicker and started from there).
The exception is my file for Word Perfect 8, which never launches the
command.

The file is set to execute `/opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp', which is the path to
the executable.  Issuing this command from a terminal, or from a `run
command' window (alt-f2) works, as does making a short cut on the
desktop (dragging the icon for this file onto the desktop and
selecting `link').

Here are the contents of wp8.kdelnk file:

[Desktop Entry]
BinaryPattern=
Comment[C]=Word processor
Exec=/opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp
Icon=wp
MimeType=
MiniIcon=
Name[C]=Word Perfect
Path=
Protocols=
SwallowExec=
SwallowTitle=
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Anyone know what's up?

--

University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

2. SCSI Scanners

3. how to get kdelnk file to inherit current ENV?

4. Replacement shells

5. .kdelnk files....

6. Fetchmail in multidrop mode, and mail from mailing lists

7. Howto manage global .kdelnk files in KDE2 ?

8. Determining a Telnet client's IP address

9. Creating DOS compatiable files on AIX 3.2

10. Transferring ASCII files created in DOS to Linux (The ^M problem)

11. How do you create a DOS .exe file with gcc?

12. DOS couldn't read a Linux created file in a floppy

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format