problem with login manager

Post by Francisc » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 07:46:23

I have a problem with the login manager under system in the control center,
when I click on it I get a popup with this message:
Couldn't create directory /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics

This directory already exists in the kde directory:
/usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics

My $KDEDIR env var is correctly set to /usr/kde/3

Any idea why this error? how to solve it?
Thank you.

Francisco

problem with login manager

Post by Ender Wiggi » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 13:05:17

> I have a problem with the login manager under system in the control
> center, when I click on it I get a popup with this message:
> Couldn't create directory /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics

> This directory already exists in the kde directory:
> /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics

> My $KDEDIR env var is correctly set to /usr/kde/3

> Any idea why this error? how to solve it?
> Thank you.

> Francisco

Why don't u create a link for /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics from
/usr/share/apps/kdm/pics ?

ln -s /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics  /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics

Of course you have to make sure /usr/share/apps/kdm/ exists.

problem with login manager

Post by Francisc » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:41:56

Quote:> Why don't u create a link for /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics from
> /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics ?

> ln -s /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics  /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics

> Of course you have to make sure /usr/share/apps/kdm/ exists.

Yes sure I could do that, but I wonder why does this happen, it is wrong in
kde itself or it's a configuration problem in my computer?

Francisco

problem with login manager

Post by Ender Wiggi » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:01:29

>> Why don't u create a link for /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics from
>> /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics ?

>> ln -s /usr/kde/3/share/apps/kdm/pics  /usr/share/apps/kdm/pics

>> Of course you have to make sure /usr/share/apps/kdm/ exists.

> Yes sure I could do that, but I wonder why does this happen, it is wrong
> in kde itself or it's a configuration problem in my computer?

> Francisco

Hard to tell, what kind of an distro u r running ? Did u rebuild kde or
installed experimental/cooker rpms on top of it ?

problem with login manager

Post by Francisc » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:41:04

Quote:> Hard to tell, what kind of an distro u r running ? Did u rebuild kde or
> installed experimental/cooker rpms on top of it ?

Uh, I thought I told, I'm using gentoo, so it's build from the latest
sources, nothing experimental.

problem with login manager

Post by Ender Wiggi » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:27:43

>> Hard to tell, what kind of an distro u r running ? Did u rebuild kde or
>> installed experimental/cooker rpms on top of it ?

> Uh, I thought I told, I'm using gentoo, so it's build from the latest
> sources, nothing experimental.

Sorry I can't help since I don't know much about Gentoo. I am a slack user
and I usually build my stuff from source files.