Intellimouse Explorer=no scroll wheel...help!

Intellimouse Explorer=no scroll wheel...help!

Post by Derek McCurd » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi there.

 Ive searched high and low for an answer to this problem. First off im
running the newest Mandrake 7.02 distro.  (im a newbie to linux but am a
network admin who is used to running other o/s like windows NT enterprise,
and Netware 5.0)  Anyway.....

I was able to get KDE and linux to successfully use my intellimouse explorer
USB with no problems.  The only problem is that:  i cant get the scroll
wheel to work at all in kde or linux AT ALL.

I tried several suggestions including:

1.  I put the ZAxismapping 4 5    command into the etc/x11/XF86config file
under the "pointers" section

2.  I tried to change the Protocol "PS/2"  to Protocol "imps/2"  and it
causes my mouse to go haywire on startx reboot so i switched it back to ps/2

3.  I renamed the imwheelrc file to .imwheelrc and copied it into my 'home
directory' (for root user i wasnt sure what the home directory was, so i
copied the file to both /root and /home directories.......)

4.  I restarted linux and when KDE booted i tried to execute imwheel -k .
It tells me that it cant write a PID (is that normal) or that it is already
running.

I got these instructions from http://www.mandrakeuser.org/xwin/xmouse.html
.

I  would be TOTALLY indebted to you if you could offer some detailed
instructions/advice on getting my scroll wheel to work!  What am i doing
wrong or should be doing?

Intellimouse Explorer=no scroll wheel...help!

Post by Jon Vei » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi there.

>  Ive searched high and low for an answer to this problem. First off im
> running the newest Mandrake 7.02 distro.  (im a newbie to linux but am a
> network admin who is used to running other o/s like windows NT enterprise,
> and Netware 5.0)  Anyway.....

> I was able to get KDE and linux to successfully use my intellimouse
explorer
> USB with no problems.  The only problem is that:  i cant get the scroll
> wheel to work at all in kde or linux AT ALL.

> I tried several suggestions including:

> 1.  I put the ZAxismapping 4 5    command into the etc/x11/XF86config file
> under the "pointers" section

> 2.  I tried to change the Protocol "PS/2"  to Protocol "imps/2"  and it
> causes my mouse to go haywire on startx reboot so i switched it back to
ps/2

> 3.  I renamed the imwheelrc file to .imwheelrc and copied it into my 'home
> directory' (for root user i wasnt sure what the home directory was, so i
> copied the file to both /root and /home directories.......)

> 4.  I restarted linux and when KDE booted i tried to execute imwheel -k .
> It tells me that it cant write a PID (is that normal) or that it is
already
> running.

> I got these instructions from http://www.mandrakeuser.org/xwin/xmouse.html
> .

> I  would be TOTALLY indebted to you if you could offer some detailed
> instructions/advice on getting my scroll wheel to work!  What am i doing
> wrong or should be doing?

Face the fact that linux being a minority will never be able to reverse
engineer or get all the drivers for every piece of hardware there is.  From
what I've seen you've done all you can.  You can either make the desicion to
click on the arrows.  Don't assume there is something you can do.

~Jon

Post by thecode » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> Hi there.

>>  Ive searched high and low for an answer to this problem. First off im
>> running the newest Mandrake 7.02 distro.  (im a newbie to linux but am a
>> network admin who is used to running other o/s like windows NT enterprise,
>> and Netware 5.0)  Anyway.....

>> I was able to get KDE and linux to successfully use my intellimouse
>explorer
>> USB with no problems.  The only problem is that:  i cant get the scroll
>> wheel to work at all in kde or linux AT ALL.

>> I tried several suggestions including:

>> 1.  I put the ZAxismapping 4 5    command into the etc/x11/XF86config file
>> under the "pointers" section

Try also the option "buttons" ...

This is my section (for XFree 4.0) and everything works fine here...

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "mouse"
  Identifier    "Mouse[1]"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
  Option        "Name"          "Intellipoint Mouse PS/2"
  Option        "Protocol"      "IMPS/2"
  Option        "Vendor"        "Microsoft"
  Option        "Buttons"       "5"
  Option        "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Bye !

1. Intellimouse Explorer=no scroll wheel...Need Help!

[...]

2. netwroking!

3. Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Wheel in KDE/X

4. paths

5. Intellimouse wheel doesn't scroll windows

6. Help with Redhat 4.2 + X

7. scrolling speed & intellimouse wheel?

8. How do I copy one disk to another?

9. Microsoft Intellimouse with scroll wheel

10. Help needed: scroll wheel on mouse doesn't work

11. Intellimouse Explorer setup possible???

12. Micrsoft IntelliMouse Explorer

13. USB Intellimouse Explorer setup