Desktop vs Window Manager vs X11 vs OS

Post by wr.. » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

this must be silly, but I don't really understand the boundaries of the
concepts mentioned in the subject, even though I probably sort of
understand the concepts themselves: KDE, e.g. is a desktop, it runs
under Linux and includes WM, which uses X11 as a protocol. [please do
correct me if I'm wrong] But where does one end and another one start?

For instance, should the same program necessarily run across different
desktops, but the same OS's? Things like this still seem mirky to me.

Thanks.

Wroot.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Desktop vs Window Manager vs X11 vs OS

Post by Erik Gjertse » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> this must be silly, but I don't really understand the boundaries of the
> concepts mentioned in the subject, even though I probably sort of
> understand the concepts themselves: KDE, e.g. is a desktop, it runs
> under Linux and includes WM, which uses X11 as a protocol. [please do
> correct me if I'm wrong] But where does one end and another one start?

AFAIK:
OS: Operating System, the kernel, drivers etc.

X11: GUI server, runs on top of OS. Micro*operating systems have a
different model, where GUI is part of the OS - just to make sure a buggy
GUI will take everything with it if it crashes.

Window Manager: Layer on top of X11 responsible for drawing widgets,
window frames and such.

Desktop Environment: Complete suite of libraries/applications to integrate
window-manager with other applications, usually implementing some sort of
drag-and-drop functionality, a filemanager, some sort of panel etc, and an
API for other programs to hook into to use such functionality.

I could be wrong - but I think that's a fairly accurate summary.

---[ erik gjertsen ]--------- -    - -      -          -

Post by David Faur » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > this must be silly, but I don't really understand the boundaries of the
> > concepts mentioned in the subject, even though I probably sort of
> > understand the concepts themselves: KDE, e.g. is a desktop, it runs
> > under Linux and includes WM, which uses X11 as a protocol. [please do
> > correct me if I'm wrong] But where does one end and another one start?

> AFAIK:
> OS: Operating System, the kernel, drivers etc.

> X11: GUI server, runs on top of OS. Micro*operating systems have a
> different model, where GUI is part of the OS - just to make sure a buggy
> GUI will take everything with it if it crashes.

Yes.

Quote:> Window Manager: Layer on top of X11 responsible for drawing widgets,
> window frames and such.

Once again : the Window Manager has NOTHING to do with widgets.
It only manage windows (borders, desktops, minimize, maximize,
sticky...)

Quote:> Desktop Environment: Complete suite of libraries/applications to integrate
> window-manager with other applications, usually implementing some sort of
> drag-and-drop functionality, a filemanager, some sort of panel etc, and an
> API for other programs to hook into to use such functionality.

And much more :-)

Quote:> I could be wrong - but I think that's a fairly accurate summary.

Not too far :-)

--
David Faure

Desktop vs Window Manager vs X11 vs OS

Post by Erik Gjertse » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > Window Manager: Layer on top of X11 responsible for drawing widgets,
> > window frames and such.
> Once again : the Window Manager has NOTHING to do with widgets.
> It only manage windows (borders, desktops, minimize, maximize,
> sticky...)

(* slaps forehead *)

Of course - stupid mistake - sorry...

Quote:> > Desktop Environment: Complete suite of libraries/applications to integrate
> > window-manager with other applications, usually implementing some sort of
> > drag-and-drop functionality, a filemanager, some sort of panel etc, and an
> > API for other programs to hook into to use such functionality.
> And much more :-)

Yes, yes :) I kinda covered my back by stuffing an "etc" in there... ;-)

---[ erik gjertsen ]--------- -    - -      -          -

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. Is this even possible?

3. Linux Advocacy - Linux vs Windows 2000 vs Be vs OS/2

4. High resolution wall-clock timings in Linux?

5. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

6. Looking for 'Global Link' Supplier

7. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

8. Need help setting up multiple boxes, same domain for cgi on one box, called from site on seperate box

9. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

10. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

11. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

12. Desktop vs. Command Line, was Linux vs. OS/2

13. Linux/XFree speed vs OS/2 vs DOS/Windows