KDE default menu suggestion (and distribution menu...)

KDE default menu suggestion (and distribution menu...)

Post by Andre G » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:26:07

Hello:
   I am a SUSE 7.2 user.

I see a problem having almost every distribution with a differrent
look/fell, when the others GUI's look/fell are more standardised.

I find merits to the SUSE menu/taskbar but also to the standard KDE.
Someone (see alt.os.linux.suse) helped me switch back to the standard KDE
menu.

From there an idea:
  Would be nice for the standard KDE to have more that one menu, with a
selection for more than one.
  I probably would use :
        0-Standard KDE menu.
        1-Distribution menu.  (SUSE, RedHat etc...)
        3- User's menu

and may be more. Ideally (in my view) each ditribution would come with 0,
1, 2(blank).
The merit would be for the KDE apps to update the KDE menu, the
distribution RPM's (or equivalent) to update its own menu, etc....

This would go in the direction to have a standard KDE menu, the same on
each KDE machine (Linux/Unix etc...), and still allow creativity at the
others levels: distribution, organisation, etc...

Thanks for your attention, and hopefully comments.
Andre G-

1. Access to System Default Menu in KDE

I am running RH 6.0 and KDE 1.1.2. When I use KMenuEdit I am unable to
access the system default menus.  Where the system default menu should
be is just a small gray box (clicking this box has no effect).  Before I
upgraded to 6.0 (RH5.2 & KDE 1.0) I was able to access and change the
system default menus.   Currently, I have access to and can change the
personal menus without any problem.    I am running as root and I have
checked the file permission in /usr/share/applnk and they appear to be
OK.  I can add/edit menu items if I affect the files in
/usr/share/applnk directly, but I would like to use KMenuEdit.  Does
anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be and how I can
correct it.
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings, they did it by
killing
all those who opposed them.

Boise, Idaho USA

2. Quotas on 1.0.9

3. How Do I Restore KDE menus to the Install Default

4. Embedded 'subject' in mailx

5. Control Center loses menu after editing menu in menuDrake

6. ipfwadm, does it work? help!

7. Slackware setup menu always goes back to menu

8. The Make command

9. Debian-menus - can't add own positions to menu

10. Gnome Panel sub-menu Popup time in main menu

11. RMB-Menu (root-Menu)

12. xterm menus (or lack of menus)

13. put User Menu in a mouse pop-up menu in Gnome/Enlightenment?