KDevelop, sub folder with source files, make problem

KDevelop, sub folder with source files, make problem

Post by Sava » Fri, 16 May 2003 11:54:37

I need to compile a project in KDevelop using source code from a
number of different folders. I have used ln -s so all the folders
appear as sub dirs of the project folder from within KDevelop and I've
added all the source files required from these sub folders to the
KDevproj. I am getting a number of different errors though.

I get "No rule to make target 'all'" for each sub folder and then when
make for the main project is run it says for example "No rule to make
target 'subfoldername\libsubfolder.a' needed by 'projectname'. By
playing with loads of settings after reading everything I could find
online I managed to get kdevelop to create the libsubfolder.a static
library, I used chmod to make it executable (otherwise kdevelop
complained about permissions) and once that was done kdevelop
complained there was a syntax error in the .a file at line 1 pointing
to a '!' character.

I'm a seasoned windows programmer but have always used GUIs so I can't
say I'm very familiar with this whole make/autoconf system on linux.
Can anyone help me out here? I've googled this problem all day and
have found nothing useful :(. Does anyone know of a sure fire way to
get KDevelop build a simple console C++ app using source cpp and h
files from multiple folders? If there is a more appropriate news group
where I could post this question even that would be appreciated!!

Post by Bob » Sat, 24 May 2003 04:24:46

>I need to compile a project in KDevelop using source code from a
>number of different folders. I have used ln -s so all the folders
>appear as sub dirs of the project folder from within KDevelop and
I've
>added all the source files required from these sub folders to the
>KDevproj. I am getting a number of different errors though.

>I get "No rule to make target 'all'" for each sub folder and then
when
>make for the main project is run it says for example "No rule to make
>target 'subfoldername\libsubfolder.a' needed by 'projectname'. By
>playing with loads of settings after reading everything I could find
>online I managed to get kdevelop to create the libsubfolder.a static
>library, I used chmod to make it executable (otherwise kdevelop
>complained about permissions) and once that was done kdevelop
>complained there was a syntax error in the .a file at line 1 pointing
>to a '!' character.

>I'm a seasoned windows programmer but have always used GUIs so I
can't
>say I'm very familiar with this whole make/autoconf system on linux.
>Can anyone help me out here? I've googled this problem all day and
>have found nothing useful :(. Does anyone know of a sure fire way to
>get KDevelop build a simple console C++ app using source cpp and h
>files from multiple folders? If there is a more appropriate news
group
>where I could post this question even that would be appreciated!!

I tried Kdevelop and found it way too complex and restrictive for me
(non-seasoned rookie <G>).
Are you familiar with VIDE?
V IDE & V GUI: http://www.veryComputer.com/
(window$ and Linux versions, $=free, source available(GPL))
--
Bob R
POVrookie