Does KDE have the following features?

Post by Ulrich Eckhard » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,
> I do not know all features of the current KDE release, so I would like
> to ask if the following features exist in KDE:

> 1) A new window will either appear on top of all windows (this is the
> "normal" behaviour) or will appear below the window that has the current
> focus until a specified number of seconds elapsed after the last
> keystroke so that the user can continue typing without interruption even
> if he has started a new application in the meantime. Especially when
> launching large applications such a feature would be very useful for
> many users.

> 2) A new window will either appear on top of all windows or it will
> appear only after a menu navigation with the mouse or the keyboard has
> ended.

To the first two, see the docs to startkde. Some features I know of are
that you can force the output of a window to always be on top (watching TV
:))) ), iconify on startup and set size.

Quote:

> 3) The mail client of KDE is able to send large emails in smaller pieces
> and is also able to create a single files out of such mails it receives
> after the last part arrived, when the user tries to download or view one
> of the attachments which make up the larger attachment. This will allow
> users to overcome mail size restrictions that may be set up in certain
> mail systems.

Unix Philosophy: one task, one tool. I believe that if you piped the large
file through split, uuencode (or was it uudecode?) and finally into
your MTA you just get the same result. Throw the stuff into a shell-script
et voila !

Quote:> 4) The mail client of KDE is able to watch the mail server and trigger
> sending again emails that are not answered within a certain period of
> time. The user will be able to specify how often (maybe with a hard
> coded maximum of 5 to avoid mail flooding) and after what time a mail
> might be sent if no answer arrived in the meantime. This makes it easier
> to reach people that get lots of mails. Maybe it is a good idea to
> search received emails only for subject lines containing the complete
> subject of the sent emails, not for something like "Re: " or "WD:" or
> something like that because this is language and mail application
> dependent.

<sarcasm>
Thanx for resending when Im too busy to reply ,
</sarcasm>

Quote:> If anyone has seen one of these features anywhere outside KDE, I would

Post by David Faur » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi all,
> > I do not know all features of the current KDE release, so I would like
> > to ask if the following features exist in KDE:

> > 1) A new window will either appear on top of all windows (this is the
> > "normal" behaviour) or will appear below the window that has the current
> > focus until a specified number of seconds elapsed after the last
> > keystroke so that the user can continue typing without interruption even
> > if he has started a new application in the meantime. Especially when
> > launching large applications such a feature would be very useful for
> > many users.

> > 2) A new window will either appear on top of all windows or it will
> > appear only after a menu navigation with the mouse or the keyboard has
> > ended.
> To the first two, see the docs to startkde. Some features I know of are
> that you can force the output of a window to always be on top (watching TV
> :))) ), iconify on startup and set size.

He means kstart.

--
David Faure

See http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html for how to set up KDE 2.

1. Which POP3-server (for FreeBSD) has the following Feature?

Hi,

I need a pop3 server for FreeBSD that has the following feature:

  - It has to handle several domains (every domain has an owner).
  - These owners (normal users) can add pop3 accounts and forwarders
    themself (for their domain).

optional:

  - They can do this by using a web interface.

Well, that's it - shouldn't be too much wishes ;-)

bye...
Alexander

2. policies for squid

3. That obscure feature of (original) sh - having to do with changing exported variables

4. can't boot linux on KT-7

5. Q: find command does not follow symbolic links unless you specify -follow ?

6. USING DVD-RAM with LINUX

7. KDE-desktop disappears following reboot

8. copy files from Win XP to Linux

9. Good News for KDE Look.org [follow up to earlier posting]

10. KDE-desktop disappears following reboot

11. Removing KDE a follow-up

12. Port to dos of the autoexpand feature of tcsh

13. Nice NCSA for Dos telnet feature...