emacs key bindings for all kde/qt widgets?

emacs key bindings for all kde/qt widgets?

Post by Matthew Kenne » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:35:32

Is it possible? The Control Center -> Key Bindings -> Application
Shortcuts list only a small number of customizable items. IMHO,
migrating to KDE from say GNOME is made hard by the fact that
navigation keys like C-f (next character), C-b (previous character),
M-f (next word), M-b (previous word), C-a (beginning of line), C-e
(end of line), M-> (end of document/buffer), M-< (beginning of
document/buffer) really can't be set.

Can a larger list of application short cuts be found elsewhere (other
than in the control panel)? Also, I'm a developer (but new to
KDE/Qt)... if there is a effort to support emacs/gnome-style key
bindings in KDE, I'd love to join and help out.

Matt

Post by Kevin Kramme » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:41:37

> Can a larger list of application short cuts be found elsewhere (other
> than in the control panel)? Also, I'm a developer (but new to
> KDE/Qt)... if there is a effort to support emacs/gnome-style key
> bindings in KDE, I'd love to join and help out.

Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

1. KDE 2.X key binding to Multimedia Keys

Does anyone know of a way/hack to bind all those Multimedia key to
actions (or programs)
under KDE. I run XFree86 4.1 and have my keyboard defined as chicony.
Under xev all buttons
are defined and get the proper tag when pressed, i.e.
XF86AudioRaiseVolume, XF86HomePage etc.
I only have Funtion keys 1-12 so someone's suggestion to start
defining these bindings to F13
on up wouldn't do me any good, I can't depress the key so I can't
bind it. Same thing for someone
else's suggestion to create new entries under system with the menu
editor and bind the entries.
Can't do that eithier. Pressing the key shows undefined. I have
attempted Hotkeys but the latest
version segfaults and really don't care to upgrade 2 different
packages just to get 1 stinkin
prgram to work. I run Slackware (current). I can get the keys to bind
(or at least get recognized)
under Enlightenment, but never really run it. It's KDE i'm interested
in. If anyone can point me
to some resource (besides KDE help, been there, done that) or make
some suggestions that haven't been
tried before, it would be greatfully appreciated. TIA.

2. Mach64 problem

3. Q about: Python bindings for KDE and Gnome widgets

4. Setup RedHat Linux via NFS Over the Internet?

5. key-binding in emacs

6. find + grep Question

7. Qt Designer and Custom Widgets for KDE 2.0

8. no sound from realplay ??

9. New QT/ KDE Widget

10. emacs key bindings

11. tcsh, emacs key bindings, SHIFT-arrow possible?

12. emacs key-bindings

13. Emacs Function Key Binding on RS/6000