KDE 1.1.1pre1 Version released

KDE 1.1.1pre1 Version released

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00



I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but you might be interested....
This mail was posted to kde-announce mailing list:



Date:   Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:29:13 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: ANNOUNCE: KDE-1.1.1 beta is available

+archive/latest/29

Dear KDE Enthusiasts,

thanks to the deligent work of several hundred kde developers we have
the pleasure to make the KDE-1.1.1pre1 packages aka KDE-1.1.1 beta
finally available on master.kde.org.

In case we will not discover very serious problems with these packages
we will release the final KDE-1.1.1 very shortly.

The source is available on

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1.1pre1/
ftp://ftp.de.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1.1pre1/
ftp://mimas.germany.net/pub/kde/stable/1.1.1pre1/

and soon will appear on the mirrors listed at

        http://www.kde.org/mirrors.html

Please be aware that the KDE project does very much depend on the input
from it's users. Please use the KDE Bug Tracking System in order to share
your experience with the developers.

        http://bugs.kde.org/

Yours,
-- martin

--

Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)
http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/jura/moritz/pubkeymoritz  # but also
KDE forever! Use Linux to impress your friends!         # Open Minded!

 
 
 

KDE 1.1.1pre1 Version released

Post by Ashley Penne » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but you might be interested....
> This mail was posted to kde-announce mailing list:

I was vastly unimpressed with KDE 1.1.1.  I'm not quite sure where to *
so I'll do it here.

To start with, I compiled with my normal CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, which causes
lots of assembly errors.  This is with egcs-1.1.2 (release).  I edited the
flags to just "-O -march=pentium" and it finally compiled.  I carried on
and got the rest of the .tar.gz's compiled.

Then I tried to actually *run* KDE.  It was horrible.  Changing fonts made
it seg fault, and then you couldn't restart it.  Loading programs would make
it crash at random, and generally the experience wasn't nice.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to make packages that work for Debian
and I'll be happy. I suspect it was glibc 2.1 or something killing it like
that.

--


 
 
 

KDE 1.1.1pre1 Version released

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00




>> I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but you might be interested....
>> This mail was posted to kde-announce mailing list:

>I was vastly unimpressed with KDE 1.1.1.  I'm not quite sure where to *
>so I'll do it here.

>To start with, I compiled with my normal CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, which causes
>lots of assembly errors.  This is with egcs-1.1.2 (release).  I edited the
>flags to just "-O -march=pentium" and it finally compiled.  I carried on
>and got the rest of the .tar.gz's compiled.

>Then I tried to actually *run* KDE.  It was horrible.  Changing fonts made
>it seg fault, and then you couldn't restart it.  Loading programs would make
>it crash at random, and generally the experience wasn't nice.

>Hopefully someone will figure out how to make packages that work for Debian
>and I'll be happy. I suspect it was glibc 2.1 or something killing it like
>that.

Huh? I used pgcc 1.1 with glibc 2.0 and qt-1.42 and I never got a single
compile error in the last 8 weeks with any snapshot. And it's very stable for
me.
Are you using qt-1.44? qt1.42 is recommended.

--

Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)
http://www.veryComputer.com/;# but also
KDE forever! Use Linux to impress your friends!         # Open Minded!

 
 
 

KDE 1.1.1pre1 Version released

Post by Ashley Penne » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00



> Huh? I used pgcc 1.1 with glibc 2.0 and qt-1.42 and I never got a single
> compile error in the last 8 weeks with any snapshot. And it's very stable for
> me.
> Are you using qt-1.44? qt1.42 is recommended.

Hmm, I'm using egcs 1.1.2 release, glibc 2.1 and qt-1.42.  Very odd, I did
suspect that glibc might be causing it, as it's the only major thing that
I could think of that's wildly different from what the developers would
expect.  I think I'll try and compile the base/lib packages again with -g
and see what I can get out of them with gdb.  Wish me luck.

-ashp