KDE 3 jpeg Backgrounds

Post by Paul Cassi » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:00:53

Hi,

I've read a couple of other threads asking this question, but I haven't seen
an answer that solves the problem. It looks like a few other people are
seeing the same thing. The question hasn't been asked for about a month now, so
I'm just wondering if anybody has found a solution.

I can't set my background to a jpeg image in KDE 3. I can set it to .png images.
The control centre doesn't give a preview when you select a jpg as the
background, and doesn't provide any error or warning when you click apply,
just giving you a blank or patterned background.

Everything has been compiled from source. QT was configured with the
-system-jpeg switch, as described on the install_source page on kde.org.
and I have libjpeg6b(==62) installed. configure doesn't report any problems,
and I can view jpegs in kview, kuickview etc.

I'm running a heavily modified redhat. Any ideas anyone? I've been recompiling
repeatedly for two weeks with no joy, so I'm out of ideas at this point.
Apart from this everything looks great, KDE 3 rules!!

thanks,

Paul.

KDE 3 jpeg Backgrounds

Post by an » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:16:57

> Hi,

> I've read a couple of other threads asking this question, but I haven't seen
> an answer that solves the problem. It looks like a few other people are
> seeing the same thing. The question hasn't been asked for about a month now, so
> I'm just wondering if anybody has found a solution.

> I can't set my background to a jpeg image in KDE 3. I can set it to .png images.
> The control centre doesn't give a preview when you select a jpg as the
> background, and doesn't provide any error or warning when you click apply,
> just giving you a blank or patterned background.

> Everything has been compiled from source. QT was configured with the
> -system-jpeg switch, as described on the install_source page on kde.org.
> and I have libjpeg6b(==62) installed. configure doesn't report any problems,
> and I can view jpegs in kview, kuickview etc.

> I'm running a heavily modified redhat. Any ideas anyone? I've been recompiling
> repeatedly for two weeks with no joy, so I'm out of ideas at this point.
> Apart from this everything looks great, KDE 3 rules!!

> thanks,

> Paul.

Paul,

I posted a solution for this but I don't think I was very clear.  So,
here is what I did.  All I had to do was to set the environment
variables QTDIR and KDEDIR at the start of kdm and after the login (to
be safe).

On my system, I had to add "export QTDIR=/dir_of_your_qt "and
"KDEDIR=/dir_of_your_kde" to the following files:
   /etc/X11/kdm/Xsetup_0
   /etc/X11/xinit/kde3initrc

kde3initrc is read after I login to kde3.  Your system may be
different.  Find which files are started and add the above environment
variables.
For QT3, I compiled it with system-jpeg.

I hope that helps.

Anh