kde2 can't find mimetypes

Post by Noble Peppe » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:05:19

I have kde2 compiled from sources, installed in /usr/local.

On start up there is a stream of error messages:

Could not find mimetype application/octet-stream
Could not find mimetype inode/directory
Could not find mimetype inode/directory-locked
Could not find mimetype inode/blockdevice
Could not find mimetype inode/chardevice

etc, etc...

the icon names on the desktop are visible but the icons are not.

The panel is blank except for the desktop select buttons and the clock

What is the problem??

I can start applictions with the file -> execute command, at least xterm,
konqueror, and pan.

kde2 can't find mimetypes

Post by Eric Laffoo » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 22:44:34

> I have kde2 compiled from sources, installed in /usr/local.

> On start up there is a stream of error messages:

> Could not find mimetype application/octet-stream
> Could not find mimetype inode/directory
> Could not find mimetype inode/directory-locked
> Could not find mimetype inode/blockdevice
> Could not find mimetype inode/chardevice

> etc, etc...

> the icon names on the desktop are visible but the icons are not.

> The panel is blank except for the desktop select buttons and the clock

> What is the problem??

> I can start applictions with the file -> execute command, at least xterm,
> konqueror, and pan.

Do you set your environment variables when launching KDE?
Does your path include $KDEDIR/bin?
Did you export KDEDIR=/usr/local (or /usr/local/kde or whatever it is?)

I found the instructions on the KDE site for running KDE 1 and 2 to be very
helpful with instructions for creating a script to set these on launch.
--
Eric Laffoon
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team

kde2 can't find mimetypes

Post by Noble Peppe » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:26:07

Just in case any one else has this problem..

startkde has changed and the new one was not moved out of the source
tree.

I replaced startkde with /usr/src/kdebase-2.0/startkde in xinitrc and
everything works. Others may be using xsession instead of xinitrc.

> I have kde2 compiled from sources, installed in /usr/local.

> On start up there is a stream of error messages:

> Could not find mimetype application/octet-stream Could not find mimetype
> inode/directory Could not find mimetype inode/directory-locked Could not
> find mimetype inode/blockdevice Could not find mimetype inode/chardevice

> etc, etc...

> the icon names on the desktop are visible but the icons are not.

> The panel is blank except for the desktop select buttons and the clock

> What is the problem??

> I can start applictions with the file -> execute command, at least
> xterm, konqueror, and pan.

1. Couldn't find MimeType

When attempting to open kspread 3.1 from a user account the errors
are:

kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 60 or
higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 49, expecting version 60 or
higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in
kspread's desktop file. Check your installation !

No errors occur if I open it from root.

Tried kbuildsycoca but the errors were:

    Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.

and there was no improvement in kspread.  Also tried

    cat /usr/lib/mime/packages/kspread >> /etc/mailcap

but there is no file /usr/lib/mime/packages/kspread.  Please assist.

2. when is the host's name not localhost ??

3. Can't start KDE2: /opt/kde2//lib/libkdecore.so.3: undefined symbol: __ti8QUriDrag

4. Is there still linux-fbdev.org? thanks. (null inside)

5. Could not find mimetype

6. LET'S HELP EACH OTHER MAKE MONEY

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. sparks.test

9. kde2 install can't find QT

10. Can't find pre-built binaries of KDE2 for RedHat 6.2

11. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

12. Need to find info on the 'FIND' command