BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by D » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi Group,
Can anyone point me to a URL where I can find BIG
pointers, arrows, cursors, etc. for KDE.
I am visually impaired and have always trouble locating
this mini pointer.
And does an app. exist where you can position the pointer
at a certain place on the screen? I always lose the
pointer and have to search the whole screen to locate it.
Thanks in advance,
Dirk

BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by Thoma » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Wait for KDE2 (or use the latest beta) It includes HUGE cursors. But coming
from me that means you'll probably like em just fine ;-)

Use kcontrol->peripherals->Mouse   Large cursor

Post by David Steube » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

' Wait for KDE2 (or use the latest beta) It includes HUGE cursors. But coming
' from me that means you'll probably like em just fine ;-)
'
' Use kcontrol->peripherals->Mouse   Large cursor

As to the second question, there is an application called xeyes which
will always be looking in the direction of the cursor.  Very usefull
for big, busy screens.  I don't think a KXeys will be necessary with
the possible exception of remembering that it was running when the KDE
session is terminated so that it can run again automatically when the
next session is started.

Actually, if that feature is not already in place, it would be nice to
restore non-KDE aware X applications if one has opted to restore the
session state at the next session.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by D » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Thomas and David,

I will wait for KDE 2 and for the moment keep on
struggling on with the microscopic cursor.
And I will try to find the 'eyes' :).
This is much appreciated help.
Dirk
http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/schoutdi

Post by Tom Brinkma » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Group, Can anyone point me to a URL where I can find BIG
> pointers, arrows, cursors, etc. for KDE. I am visually impaired
> and have always trouble locating this mini pointer. And does an
> app. exist where you can position the pointer at a certain place
> on the screen? I always lose the  pointer and have to search the
> whole screen to locate it. Thanks in advance, Dirk

   Same problem for me, here's how I fixed it

  http://i11www.ira.uka.de/~schneid/X11-big-cursor/fonts/

     There you'll find the default KDE cursors that have already
been enlarged.  The file name equals by how much, eg, cursor2.pcf
are twice the default font size (this is the one I use for 1024x768)

If you take cursor2.pcf, and rename (mv) it to
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz   overwriting the,
file there, all the default cursors will be twice as big.
--

BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by D » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:15:34

Hi Tom,

Your suggeston does not work!!
I downloaded the files, changed things as you say, but
my Mandrake 7.0 crashed!
And I am not able to rescue.
What happens is:
The system boots up to text mode and then (as usual)
starts booting the GUI. Immediately the system hangs
and is in a kind of 'loop'. Only Control/Alt/Del gets
me out.
Is there a way to stop the system and get it only in
text mode. The Mandrake rescue disk works too good:
It gets me in the same problem.
Any advice? I will post it also as a separate message.
Thanks in advance,
Dirk
PS I tried it on two systems, one I could rescue, the other
not.

>> Hi Group, Can anyone point me to a URL where I can find BIG
>> pointers, arrows, cursors, etc. for KDE. I am visually impaired
>> and have always trouble locating this mini pointer. And does an
>> app. exist where you can position the pointer at a certain place
>> on the screen? I always lose the  pointer and have to search the
>> whole screen to locate it. Thanks in advance, Dirk

>   Same problem for me, here's how I fixed it

>  http://i11www.ira.uka.de/~schneid/X11-big-cursor/fonts/

>     There you'll find the default KDE cursors that have already
>been enlarged.  The file name equals by how much, eg, cursor2.pcf
>are twice the default font size (this is the one I use for 1024x768)

>If you take cursor2.pcf, and rename (mv) it to
>   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz   overwriting the,
>file there, all the default cursors will be twice as big.
>--

BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by Tom Brinkma » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Tom,

> Your suggeston does not work!!  I downloaded the files, changed
> things as you say, but my Mandrake 7.0 crashed! And I am not able
> to rescue. What happens is: The system boots up to text mode and
> then (as usual) starts booting the GUI. Immediately the system
> hangs  and is in a kind of 'loop'. Only Control/Alt/Del gets me
> out. Is there a way to stop the system and get it only in text
> mode.

  type 'linux 3' at the lilo prompt

    I've used my method, and others have from my directions also,
with both Mdk 7 and 7.1.  I can't imagine what went wrong for you.

   The default KDE cursors are all (the pointer, the 'X', the
'edge 'of window, etc) contained in the file cursor.pcf.gz.
The cursor?.pcf files from that link are nothing more than the default
cursors that have been enlarged. Swapping them in for the default
cursors shouldn't have been a problem.

--

BIG pointers, cursors needed !

Post by Tom Brinkma » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Tom,

> Your suggeston does not work!!

   I already posted a "I dunno' response earlier. Since then
it occured to me I might've left out a step.

   Take cursor2.pcf and 'mv' it to cursor.pcf.

   .... and here's the part I believe I forgot....

   Gzip this new cursor.pcf to cursor.pcf.gz

   Then swap it for the default cursor.pcf.gz

   Sorry, my brain's not much better than my eyesight ;(

--

1. big ignorant needs big help

The graphical interface starts, in Red Hat 6.2, with the login
request. I installed a rescue floppy, and I tried it to see if it
worked. Since then I can't enter anymore in Linux in the normal way!
Now, instead of the graphical interface, I see just a blank screen. I
can anly exit by pressing Ctrl-alt-del. What happened? I suppose I
should edit some file, but which?

Thanks.

2. oracle for linux setup

3. X, AfterStep, and cursor / pointer

4. restoring dumps made under BSD 2.8 filesystem

5. Changing cursor / mouse pointer in XF86 3.3.2?

6. From .a to .so

7. No visible cursor pointer G400 - RH7 - XFree86 4.0.2-1

8. Setting up a dialup ppp conection w/pppd

9. Distorted pointer cursor image

10. No visible cursor pointer G400 - RH7 - XFree86 4.0.2-1

11. x cursor to pointer

12. Cursor is a big white block; cannot see any text in any window

13. Big BLOCK Cursor on Console Info here!