konsole doesn't show special chars

Post by Sandy Pleyt » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:30:55

Hi,

since I run the Redhat 8 version of KDE 3.0x, I can't paste any special chars
(like ) in the konsole. Instead of it, I get some strange chars I don't want
to see :) It looks like the konsole has the wrong charset, but how can i
change it ?

Regards,

Sandy

Post by Paul Hand » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:22:44

> Hi,

> since I run the Redhat 8 version of KDE 3.0x, I can't paste any special
> chars (like ) in the konsole. Instead of it, I get some strange chars I
> don't want to see :) It looks like the konsole has the wrong charset, but
> how can i change it ?

> Regards,

> Sandy

Hi,

You probably need (in the KDE control center) to select a European
(ISO8895-15) character set font.  I seem to remember that the default is
ISO8895-1, which doesn't have things like the Euro symbol.

Additionally, you may have to enable a particular keyboard mapping with
xmodmap or other keyboard manipulation program.

This page, although for Debian Linux, worked for me with SuSE :-
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-euro-support/ch-configure.en...

HTH,

Paul

Post by Sandy Pleyt » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:31:45

>> Hi,

>> since I run the Redhat 8 version of KDE 3.0x, I can't paste any special
>> chars (like ) in the konsole. Instead of it, I get some strange chars I
>> don't want to see :) It looks like the konsole has the wrong charset, but
>> how can i change it ?

>> Regards,

>> Sandy
> Hi,

> You probably need (in the KDE control center) to select a European
> (ISO8895-15) character set font.  I seem to remember that the default is
> ISO8895-1, which doesn't have things like the Euro symbol.

> Additionally, you may have to enable a particular keyboard mapping with
> xmodmap or other keyboard manipulation program.

> This page, although for Debian Linux, worked for me with SuSE :-
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-euro-support/ch-configure.en...

I allready figured out that I'm using the wrong charset, but where in the
control center can I change it ? I thought it was in the language menu, but
it isn't.

Sandy

1. How do I show konsole dimensions in chars, not pixels?

I've noticed that when I am running konsole, and I have the window manager
set up to show me width and heigt dimensions when I resize windows, that
konsole's dimensions are given in pixels, not in character cells.  Is there
a way I can change this?  Konsole is an excellent terminal program and
I use it even when not in the KDE environment, but this one sticking point
is a bit annoying.  (It makes it hard to, for example, resize the
window to be exactly 80 columns.  I end up having to resize it, type
"resize" in the shell to see how many columns it is, resize it a bit
more, check the 'resize' command again, and so on until I get it right.)

I used to think this was a problem not with konsole, but with the kwm
window manager, until I noticed that konsole does the same thing
under other window managers too.

I know it is possible to see a window's coordinates given in terms
of character cells because xterm, gvim, and gnome-terminal all do
it.  I first noticed the behavior with xterm and fvwm way back when
those programs were new and gnome and kde didn't exist yet.

2. Tape drives

3. How to show special "table chars" in shell

4. Exabyte 8200, ASUS SP3G PCI NCR53C810 SCSI

5. all man pages show '-' chars as '???'

6. PPP does not hang up after timeout

7. deleting 'special char' files

8. Partion it!

9. pointer of 'unsigned char' == 'char'!?

10. 'last' command doesn't show complete login times

11. Ximian Gnome local login doesn't show up in 'who' list

12. Installed Directory Server 5.2 P4, but 'directoryserver -l' doesn't show version

13. dmesg doesn't show 'file system full' msgs