Konsole

Post by Ed Gatz » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:27:59

I love using konsole.  I usually have 5 or more sessions going in one
window.

Every time I start konsole, it starts with only one session even if I
rename sessions and save options.

I would like to have konsole start with multiple sessions, each named
permanently.  I have not been able to find anything useful on the use
of konsolerc.

Thanks,

Ed Gatzke

Konsole

Post by Stephan Binne » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:10:01

> I would like to have konsole start with multiple sessions, each named
> permanently.  I have not been able to find anything useful on the use

It's not possible. Already wished, http://bugs.kde.org/db/13/13125.html

Bye,
   Steve

Konsole

Post by akar » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 05:32:23

>> I would like to have konsole start with multiple sessions, each named
>> permanently.  I have not been able to find anything useful on the use

> It's not possible. Already wished, http://bugs.kde.org/db/13/13125.html

Why cant some people do this? If you rename and save session my konsoles
open up with say 5 selections with the name and app I gave them eg: a
midnight commander in root; a user shell; a shell running top; and a
message tail. You just create desktop entries for things you want in the
menu of konsole (like top and tail along with midnight commander)

That bug report just says the session management went awol for one day and
was fixed the next. Everything certainly works fine in kde2.2.x

--
regards,
andrew

Konsole

Post by Robert_ » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:59:50

> Why cant some people do this? If you rename and save session my konsoles
> open up with say 5 selections with the name and app I gave them eg: a
> midnight commander in root; a user shell; a shell running top; and a
> message tail. You just create desktop entries for things you want in the
> menu of konsole (like top and tail along with midnight commander)

Not sure but perhaps they want to save one konsole instance with multiple
sessions each named- like MDI in a text editor.

Robert_L
--
Linux Mandrake release 8.0 (Traktopel) for i586
Kernel 2.4.8   XFree86 4.1.0

Konsole

Post by akar » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:52:11

> Not sure but perhaps they want to save one konsole instance with multiple
> sessions each named- like MDI in a text editor.

Hmm, but thats what I mean, you only need desktop files to have entrie in
the konsole file menu. Renamed sessions reopen between sessions fine. Maybe
this was only added in kde2.2 or something.

--
regards,
andrew

Konsole

Post by Robert_ » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 21:17:43

>> Not sure but perhaps they want to save one konsole instance with multiple
>> sessions each named- like MDI in a text editor.

> Hmm, but thats what I mean, you only need desktop files to have entrie in
> the konsole file menu. Renamed sessions reopen between sessions fine.
> Maybe this was only added in kde2.2 or something.

hmm, didn't know you could do that.  But I still don't know what you mean
exactly.  Do you mean ~/.kde/share/applnk-mdk<or
apps>/Terminals/konsole.desktop  ?

Could you post a sample desktop entry ?

What do you mean by "save session"- the KDE logout?  There is no "save
session" on my konsole menu, just "save settings".

all the best,
Robert_L
--

Post by akar » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:11:47

> hmm, didn't know you could do that.??But?I?still?don't?know?what?you?mean
> exactly.??Do?you?mean?~/.kde/share/applnk-mdk<or
> apps>/Terminals/konsole.desktop???

No I mean in your kde install or user directory in /share/apps/konsole
In Mandrake that is /usr/share/apps/konsole or the equivalent place for a
user if you dont want it global.

For a top session called top.desktop the file contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=KonsoleApplication
Name=top
Name[et]=Midnight Commander
Comment=Process Monitor
Exec=top

Quote:> Could you post a sample desktop entry ?
above
> What do you mean by "save session"- the KDE logout???There?is?no?"save

When you logout the little logout verification window asks "restore session
on login?" or somesuch which basically means save session. Both restore
session and the verification window can be turned off in control-centre
though (I think under /system/sessionmanager (maybe only for root))

--
regards,
andrew

Konsole

Post by Robert_ » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:33:27

> For a top session called top.desktop the file contains:

> [Desktop Entry]
> Type=KonsoleApplication
> Name=top
> Name[et]=Midnight Commander
> Comment=Process Monitor
> Exec=top

OK. Thanks.  That now makes a menu entry called "process management" and I
assume other entries would be treated the same.
What it does not do is start konsole with more than one "MDI" konsole
session running.
I was not talking about exiting KDE and doing "save session" but clicking
on a konsole icon and having the above mentioned konsole with several "MDI"
sessions running.
Anyway, still a usful trick- thanks for the tip Akar
all the best,
Robert_L
--
Linux Mandrake release 8.0 (Traktopel) for i586
Kernel 2.4.12   XFree86 4.1.0

1. sessions in konsole vs. several konsoles

It is nice that I can put several sessions in one konsole window, but
I can't get a list of all the konsole sessions that I have: I can get
a list of all konsole windows, and I can get a list of all sessions
within one konsole, but not a list of all sessions in all windows.

Is this possible?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

2. Internet access and Linux

3. Cleaning Konsole History Programmatically

4. rpcbind bloating

5. Konsole

6. 2.5.1_recommended bugs ?

7. Colour LS in Konsole

8. Justify increasing security?

9. konsole problem in KDE 1.1.2(XFree 4.0.1/Mandrake 7.1)

10. Copy from Konsole (Paste into Jedit) help

11. konsole 1.0.1 - several sessions at startup

12. KDE 2.1.1 - Konsole only scrolls unless root

13. konsole.schema