kde 2.1.2: Anti Aliasing Makes Fonts Looked Smudged.

kde 2.1.2: Anti Aliasing Makes Fonts Looked Smudged.

Post by Stev » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:04:10

Hi;

I'm running Red Hat 7.1, KDE 2.1.2.  I have a Riva 128 card.  When I
run xpdyinfo I can see the word "RENDER" in the output.

When I turn anti-aliasing on in kde it makes the fonts look smudged.
Is this my hardware, how I have things set up, or bugs with the
anit-aliasing feature?

Thanks in advance for the info

Steve

Post by Robert_ » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:05:23

> Hi;

> I'm running Red Hat 7.1, KDE 2.1.2.  I have a Riva 128 card.  When I
> run xpdyinfo I can see the word "RENDER" in the output.

> When I turn anti-aliasing on in kde it makes the fonts look smudged.
> Is this my hardware, how I have things set up, or bugs with the
> anit-aliasing feature?

> Thanks in advance for the info

> Steve

You may find that the "blurry" effect makes small fonts harder to read but
large fonts look very nice.
Check /etc/X11/XftConfig for the following line or uncomment or insert it:
match
    any size < 12
    edit
    antialias = false;

Change the 12 to whatever you want.
(I'm using Mandrake but I think the file name/location is the same.)
all the best,
Robert_L
--
Registered linux user #214645

kde 2.1.2: Anti Aliasing Makes Fonts Looked Smudged.

Post by akar th' 'orribl » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:26:36

Steve gave us the following insights:

Quote:> Hi;

> I'm running Red Hat 7.1, KDE 2.1.2.  I have a Riva 128 card.  When I
> run xpdyinfo I can see the word "RENDER" in the output.

> When I turn anti-aliasing on in kde it makes the fonts look smudged.
> Is this my hardware, how I have things set up, or bugs with the
> anit-aliasing feature?

> Thanks in advance for the info

> Steve

Yes Steve, I'm afraid that is what AA is, blurring the outline of fonts to
make them look smoother and this is why it should not be used for fonts
under about 14pt as per your other reply. It is also better if you run in a
high resolution with 100dpi or more.
--
Regards,
Andrew

Post by Christoph Singe » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 06:04:38

> You may find that the "blurry" effect makes small fonts harder to read but
> large fonts look very nice.
> Check /etc/X11/XftConfig for the following line or uncomment or insert it:
> match
>     any size < 12
>     edit
>     antialias = false;

The sizes at which a font should be anti-aliased and at which not are
normally given in the TrueType font file. But obviously, the AA
mechanism of Xft ignores this data, that's why we have to set it
manually in the config file...

1. KDE 2.1 panel crashes when child panel activated (after using font anti-alias)

Hi all!

I upgraded from KDE 2.1beta2 to KDE 2.1, and needless to say it absolutely
rocks.

But there's one VERY annoying bug I'm fighting with:

When I activate a child panel in Kicker, the whole panel crashes (SIGSEV)
upon next startup. I use the child panel for an external task bar (like
that better than the External Taskbar extension of kicker).

Interestingly enough I can launch kicker from the shell and the child panel
works as expected.

Also, the very first time I started the new KDE version it also worked.
Then the first thing I did was activate font anti-aliasing in the control
panel. On the next restart kicker crashed. And continues to crash every
time even after I disabled font anti-alias.

Without the child panel activated kicker starts normally!

This is what .xsession-errors says (not much here):
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kicker path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-1110' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
WARNING: library=kmix.la: No file names kmix.la found in paths.
WARNING: library=kbiff.la: No file names kbiff.la found in paths.

Thanks for any hints on fixing this!

Joerg

--

When replying by email please remove text in caps
and underscores from recipient address

2. RICOH RO-3050 MO DISK UNIT

3. Anti-Aliased fonts + KDE 2.0.1 ?

4. Baud rate cycle (ala gettydefs)

5. kde 3.0.0 truetype anti-aliased fonts problem

6. "Deselect" Boot Framebuffer?

7. Replacing fixed width anti-aliased font on kde

8. Newbie problem w/X setup

9. anti-aliased fonts with KDE?

10. Sol 10 (1/06), KDE and anti-aliased fonts

11. The official word on anti-aliased fonts in KDE-3.0?

12. Help needed: Font Anti-Aliasing under SuSE Linux 7.3 (KDE 2.2.1) no longer works

13. Anti-Aliased fonts with all KDE apps, finally!