KDE3.0.1 "Windows" key assignment

Post by Ami Setto » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:11:21

Hi all -

     I remember in KDE2.2.2 that the "Windows" key on my keyboard used to
bring up the K Menu.  To be clear, it brought up the K Menu as if I clicked
it, and the menu appeared right above the K.  I say that to differentiate
the behavior from the "Pop Up Launch" Menu which appears wherever the mouse
pointer happens to be.

I have my xmodmap set up - it happens to be code 115
The key is assigned to F13 and is seen as such by xev
I can in fact assign F13 to whatever I want and it works (Popup Launch Menu,
anything at all in fact).

BUT how do I get that old behavior back?  I cannot seem to find it in KCC
Shortcuts, and I've no idea where to look next.

My setup:

* I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop keyboard.
* I've enabled keyboard Layouts to get my extra keys on it working.
* To that end, I've edited my /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet to assign F13 to the
Windows Key and F15-F26 to the other extra keys in the "logicordless"
section.

Anyone? Any ideas?

TIA

-Ami

Post by Xanad » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:55:49

> Hi all -

>      I remember in KDE2.2.2 that the "Windows" key on my keyboard used
> bring up the K Menu.  To be clear, it brought up the K Menu as if I
> clicked it, and the menu appeared right above the K.  I say that to
> differentiate the behavior from the "Pop Up Launch" Menu which appears
> wherever the mouse pointer happens to be.

> I have my xmodmap set up - it happens to be code 115 The key is assigned
> to F13 and is seen as such by xev I can in fact assign F13 to whatever I
> want and it works (Popup Launch Menu, anything at all in fact).

> BUT how do I get that old behavior back?  I cannot seem to find it in
> KCC Shortcuts, and I've no idea where to look next.

> My setup:

> * I have a Logitech Cordless Desktop keyboard. * I've enabled keyboard
> Layouts to get my extra keys on it working. * To that end, I've edited
> my /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet to assign F13 to the Windows Key and
> F15-F26 to the other extra keys in the "logicordless" section.

> Anyone? Any ideas?

> TIA

> -Ami

Interesting.  I just checked on this box (SuSE 8.0 Pro) upgraded to
3.0.1.  My M$ key doesn't work either.  It works, just as you describe,
on my MDK box at home (it was MDK8.2, but has been majorly upgraded and
is also KDE3.0).  I went into the

Control Center --> LookNFeel --> Shortcuts

To try to change that (which is under Panel --> Popup Launch Menu).
ALT+F1 is assigned to that, but I can create an alternate.  BOOM.  I hit
the M$ key to try and create an alternate, but it is forcing a multi-key
(M$+[something]) even with the "Muli-Key" checkbox DE-selected.

Seems like a bit of a bug to me.  But I don't know.  I'm just saying I
see the exact same thing you are.

Post by Ami Setto » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:40:51

> Interesting.  I just checked on this box (SuSE 8.0 Pro) upgraded to
> 3.0.1.  My M$ key doesn't work either.  It works, just as you describe,
> on my MDK box at home (it was MDK8.2, but has been majorly upgraded and
> is also KDE3.0).  I went into the

> Control Center --> LookNFeel --> Shortcuts

> To try to change that (which is under Panel --> Popup Launch Menu).
> ALT+F1 is assigned to that, but I can create an alternate.  BOOM.  I hit
> the M$ key to try and create an alternate, but it is forcing a multi-key
> (M$+[something]) even with the "Muli-Key" checkbox DE-selected.

> Seems like a bit of a bug to me.  But I don't know.  I'm just saying I
> see the exact same thing you are.

Thanks for the sanity check :)

As for the multi-key thing - setting up the M$ key for "F13" wasn't "stock".
Do you have that set up as well?

1. How to turn "Windows" key into "Alt"?

I'm running SUSE Linux 6.2 and KDE 1.0. My xmodmap -pm shows:

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Multi_key (0x6d)
mod1        Meta_L (0x40)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3        Mode_switch (0x71)
mod4        Super_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e),  Hyper_R (0x75)

This means that I have a Meta key (located on the "Alt" key) and
a Super key (located on the "Windows" key).

But I don't want to have Alt+Super; I would prefer having Alt+Meta
instead, so that I can share configuration files (for example,
for Emacs) with other platforms.

I don't care if Alt_L is on Alt, and Meta_L on Windows, or the
other way around. I just want to have an Alt and a Meta modifier.
Could someone point out, how to do this?

I think I should reassign the keys somehow with xmodmap. As
I run KDE, where should I place the respective xmodmap command?
Probably in ~/.xinitrc?

Any help appreciated.

Ronald
--
To reduce spam in my inbox, the address given in the Reply-To: header is
not guaranteed to live longer than 1 month after the article was

2. help help help Post not allowed

4. Astra, the first Visual Website Management tool is here

6. find command

7. Enabling "windows key" on 104-key keyboard

8. Connecting to a desktop monitor

9. how to: "Windows" key -> KDE's "K" menu..

10. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

11. Announcing "red" 0.1: Disk striping.

12. Incorrect key "translation" behavior for "xterm"

13. Swapping the function keys "Ctrl" and "Compose Character"