I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to
respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
having no luck so far.
0. Two linux boxes: the kdm/XDMCP server is 192.168.0.6,
the "X terminal" is 192.168.0.2.
1. I've edited /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and
set Enable=true in the Xdmcp section.
2. I've added the IP address (192.168.0.2) of the host
from which I want to connect to the Xaccess file referred
to by kdmrc (/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess).
(I've also uncommented the "SourceAddress=true" line in kdmrc,
though I'm not sure if this is necessary.)
3. I've rebooted the 192.168.0.6 box running kdm.
4. I've taken the 192.168.0.2 host down to runlevel 3 and started
X specifying a direct query to the XDMCP server:
$ X -query 192.168.0.6
I get no response from 192.168.0.6. tcpdump shows me that 192.168.0.2
is talking to UDP port 177 on 192.168.0.6, but that it receives a
"port unreachable" response, so it looks like kdm is not listening
for the XDMCP queries.
Can anyone suggest what I'm screwing up ? I can't see what else I
could change to fix it.