KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by ns_news [at] netspinner [point] co [point] u » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:37:32

I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to
respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
having no luck so far.

0. Two linux boxes: the kdm/XDMCP server is 192.168.0.6,
the "X terminal" is 192.168.0.2.

1. I've edited /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and
set Enable=true in the Xdmcp section.

2. I've added the IP address (192.168.0.2) of the host
from which I want to connect to the Xaccess file referred
to by kdmrc (/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess).

(I've also uncommented the "SourceAddress=true" line in kdmrc,
though I'm not sure if this is necessary.)

3. I've rebooted the 192.168.0.6 box running kdm.

4. I've taken the 192.168.0.2 host down to runlevel 3 and started
X specifying a direct query to the XDMCP server:

$ X -query 192.168.0.6

I get no response from 192.168.0.6. tcpdump shows me that 192.168.0.2
is talking to UDP port 177 on 192.168.0.6, but that it receives a
"port unreachable" response, so it looks like kdm is not listening
for the XDMCP queries.

Can anyone suggest what I'm screwing up ? I can't see what else I
could change to fix it.

Steve Collyer

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by Liam O'Tool » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:24:12

Quote:> I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to
> respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
> having no luck so far.

> 0. Two linux boxes: the kdm/XDMCP server is 192.168.0.6,
> the "X terminal" is 192.168.0.2.

> 1. I've edited /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and
> set Enable=true in the Xdmcp section.

> 2. I've added the IP address (192.168.0.2) of the host
> from which I want to connect to the Xaccess file referred
> to by kdmrc (/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess).

> (I've also uncommented the "SourceAddress=true" line in kdmrc,
> though I'm not sure if this is necessary.)

> 3. I've rebooted the 192.168.0.6 box running kdm.

> 4. I've taken the 192.168.0.2 host down to runlevel 3 and started
> X specifying a direct query to the XDMCP server:

> $ X -query 192.168.0.6

> I get no response from 192.168.0.6. tcpdump shows me that 192.168.0.2
> is talking to UDP port 177 on 192.168.0.6, but that it receives a
> "port unreachable" response, so it looks like kdm is not listening
> for the XDMCP queries.

> Can anyone suggest what I'm screwing up ? I can't see what else I
> could change to fix it.

> Steve Collyer

Your configuration looks fine to me. Is there a firewall running
on the XDMCP server? Maybe its dropping incoming XDMCP queries.

Another thought (forgive me if it's too obvious): is the XDMCP
server actually running in runlevel 5?

By the way, the line "SourceAddress=true" tells XDMCP to allow
access by IP address rather than hostname. Uncommenting it is sensible.

--

Liam

E-mail: remove "_alias" from the address above

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by ns_news [at] netspinner [point] co [point] u » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:02:45

>> I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to
>> respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
>> having no luck so far.
>> Steve Collyer

[deletia]

> Your configuration looks fine to me. Is there a firewall running
> on the XDMCP server? Maybe its dropping incoming XDMCP queries.

Not as far as I can tell. iptables -L reports no rules in any
chain, so I guess not.

Quote:> Another thought (forgive me if it's too obvious): is the XDMCP
> server actually running in runlevel 5?

Well, the XDMCP server is kdm, no ? So the answer is yes, unless
I'm confused, and kdm actually runs another process to do XDMCP.

Quote:> By the way, the line "SourceAddress=true" tells XDMCP to allow
> access by IP address rather than hostname. Uncommenting it is sensible.

Thanks. How did you know this, BTW ? I've been unable to find any
decent docs on kdm, and none of them mention SourceAddress.

Steve Collyer

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by Tim Wunde » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:09:18

On 7/1/2003 9:37 AM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

Quote:> I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to
> respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
> having no luck so far.

> 0. Two linux boxes: the kdm/XDMCP server is 192.168.0.6,
> the "X terminal" is 192.168.0.2.

> 1. I've edited /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and
> set Enable=true in the Xdmcp section.

> 2. I've added the IP address (192.168.0.2) of the host
> from which I want to connect to the Xaccess file referred
> to by kdmrc (/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess).

> (I've also uncommented the "SourceAddress=true" line in kdmrc,
> though I'm not sure if this is necessary.)

<snip>

Did you uncomment the Port=177 line in kdmrc?
Can you check 192.168.0.6 to see if it's listening on port 177?

HTH,
Tim

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by ns_news [at] netspinner [point] co [point] u » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:41:16

Quote:> I have a fresh Suse 8.1 install. I want to get KDM to

(Oops - typo: Suse 8.2)

Quote:> respond to XDMCP queries from a remote machine, but am
> having no luck so far.

> 0. Two linux boxes: the kdm/XDMCP server is 192.168.0.6,
> the "X terminal" is 192.168.0.2.

> 1. I've edited /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and
> set Enable=true in the Xdmcp section.

OK, first problem solved. Apparently, under Suse 8.2,
kdm is picking up its configuration from /etc/opt/kde3/...
I have no idea why. However, if I change the kdmrc under
that, then I get the kdm login screen OK. Anyway, a couple
more questions:

1. Where is the kdm's path to its kdmrc configured ? i.e.
what tells it to read /etc/opt/kde3/... instead of /opt/kde3 etc ?
(and WTF did Suse do this ??? Grrrrr.)

2. Ideally, I'd like to be able to select a KDE session on either
the 192.168.0.2 box, or one on the 192.168.0.6 box from the kdm
login prompt on the 192.168.0.2 box - I had assumed that this would
happen automagically once I got 192.168.0.6 to accept an XDMCP
query, but it doesn't happen. Anyone know what I need to change to
be able to do this ?

3. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to run two X servers on the
192.168.0.2 box, on two different VTs, one running KDE locally,
the other via XDMCP to 192.168.0.6, but I can't find any docs
that cover this in detail. Anyone got any pointers for this ?

TIA.

Steve Collyer

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:43:26

On 7/1/2003 11:41 AM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

<snip>

Quote:> 3. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to run two X servers on the
> 192.168.0.2 box, on two different VTs, one running KDE locally,
> the other via XDMCP to 192.168.0.6, but I can't find any docs
> that cover this in detail. Anyone got any pointers for this ?

X :1 -query <host IP>
Ctrl-Alt-F7/F8 to switch.
(I think)

HTH,
Tim

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by ns_news [at] netspinner [point] co [point] u » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:48:33

> On 7/1/2003 11:41 AM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

> <snip>

>> 3. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to run two X servers on the
>> 192.168.0.2 box, on two different VTs, one running KDE locally,
>> the other via XDMCP to 192.168.0.6, but I can't find any docs
>> that cover this in detail. Anyone got any pointers for this ?

> X :1 -query <host IP>
> Ctrl-Alt-F7/F8 to switch.
> (I think)

Tim

That's brilliant - Thanks very much. Didn't realise it was so easy.
However, the remote X server runs like a dog - maybe 128MB isn't
enough to run 2 X servers comfortably ?

Steve Collyer

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 02:06:54

On 7/1/2003 1:48 PM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

>> On 7/1/2003 11:41 AM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

>> <snip>

>>> 3. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to run two X servers on the
>>> 192.168.0.2 box, on two different VTs, one running KDE locally,
>>> the other via XDMCP to 192.168.0.6, but I can't find any docs
>>> that cover this in detail. Anyone got any pointers for this ?

>> X :1 -query <host IP>
>> Ctrl-Alt-F7/F8 to switch.
>> (I think)

> That's brilliant - Thanks very much. Didn't realise it was so easy.

Hardly brilliant...

Quote:> However, the remote X server runs like a dog - maybe 128MB isn't
> enough to run 2 X servers comfortably ?

More RAM is always a good idea.
That and higher bandwidth on the network connection would be good too.
And if you have multiple PCs connected to a hub, you'll get a
performance benefit by using a switch instead.

Does the remote X server run OK without the local one running?

HTH,
Tim

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by ns_news [at] netspinner [point] co [point] u » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:27:23

> On 7/1/2003 1:48 PM, someone claiming to be ns_news [at] netspinner

>> That's brilliant - Thanks very much. Didn't realise it was so easy.

> More RAM is always a good idea.
> That and higher bandwidth on the network connection would be good too.
> And if you have multiple PCs connected to a hub, you'll get a
> performance benefit by using a switch instead
> Does the remote X server run OK without the local one running?

Yes, which is why I suspect it's memory. I can live with running
one X server at a time though.

Steve Collyer

KDM not listening for XDMCP queries

Post by Liam O'Tool » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:42:46

Quote:

> OK, first problem solved. Apparently, under Suse 8.2,
> kdm is picking up its configuration from /etc/opt/kde3/...

Ah yes, that's a quirk of SuSE. A comfortable workaround is
to symlink the file in /opt/kde3 to that in /etc/opt/kde3.
That seems to keep all applications happy. You may need
to restore the symlink after a KDE upgrade, though.

--

Post by Liam O'Tool » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:45:29

>> By the way, the line "SourceAddress=true" tells XDMCP to allow
>> access by IP address rather than hostname. Uncommenting it is sensible.

> Thanks. How did you know this, BTW ? I've been unable to find any
> decent docs on kdm, and none of them mention SourceAddress.

> Steve Collyer

I read it on the back of a box of Cornflakes ... er ...
maybe not. In most distributions the file kdmrc is commented
abundantly. Unfortunately those comments are removed when you
change you settings using the KDE control centre!

--

Post by Jon LaBadi » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:57:07

>> OK, first problem solved. Apparently, under Suse 8.2,
>> kdm is picking up its configuration from /etc/opt/kde3/...

> Ah yes, that's a quirk of SuSE. A comfortable workaround is
> to symlink the file in /opt/kde3 to that in /etc/opt/kde3.
> That seems to keep all applications happy. You may need
> to restore the symlink after a KDE upgrade, though.

Doesn't sound like a quirk.  Sounds like a wonderful idea.

The default config that comes with kde is in /opt/kde3.
When you make local config changes put them in /etc/opt/kde3.

Now when you upgrade or patch your kde installation
you will not trash your local config changes.

--
X the X to email me