KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

Post by Jim Fische » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:13:28

I'm using KDE 3.0.1 on a Red Hat 8.0 box, and it seems there's a bug in
the "File Associations" feature of the 'kcontrol' (a.k.a., "KDE Control
Center") application. Specifically, I'm unable to change the icon that's
associated with a given file/MIME type. Here's what I'm doing:

1) [bash]$ kcontrol

2) When the "KDE Control Center" window appears, select the "Index" tab
and then the "File Browsing | File Associations" option.

3) In the "Known Types" tree/listbox, select "application | pdf" (for
example).

4) On the "General" tab, click on the "icon button" (next to the
"Filename Patterns" control group).

5) When the "Select Icon - KDE Control Center" dialog appears, select
any displayed icon and click "OK" to close the dialog. The selected icon
image is now displayed on the "icon button" (next to the "Filename
Patterns" control group).

6) On the "KDE Control Center" window, click on the "Apply" button.

7) On the "Index" tab, select any option other than "File Browsing |
File Associations" (e.g., "Information"), and then re-select the "File
Browsing | File Associations" option.

8) In the "Known Types" listbox, select "application | pdf".

At this point, on my RH8.0 box, the icon image that's displayed on the
"icon button" is NOT the icon image that I selected in step 5; it is the
"original" icon image that was displayed on the icon button before I
performed step 5.

Is this a known bug with the kcontrol application (or some associated
applet) that ships w/ KDE 3.0.1, or, perhaps, with Red Hat 8.0's version
of KDE? I searched around in the KDE bug reporting database(*) but I
didn't find any bug reports on this particular issue. If someone else
can confirm this problem, I'll submit a bug report on it. Tia...

(*) http://bugs.kde.org

--
Jim

To reply, please remove "link" and change "nowhere" to "yahoo"
jfischer_link5809{at}nowhere.com