Startup folder

Post by Vikas Agnihotr » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:49:45

I know KDE has a "Autostart" concept where I can put links to apps I want
to startup when KDE starts up. Similar to the "Startup folder" in that
other OS.

But I couldnt find any docs or intuitive menu item to work with this.

How can I add entries to this folder, see what is there now, etc?

Basically, I want to add a 'smbmount' command in there to mount some NTFS
shares when I startup.

I see that ~/.kde/../autorun.desktop exists and contains some stuff in all
languages in the world, but it was not obvious how to edit this file by
hand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Startup folder

Post by Manuel Streuhofe » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:27:36

Startup folder

Post by Vikas Agnihotr » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:38:57

Quote:> you are looking for the subdir $HOME/.kde/Autostart
> you can out inside whatever you feel like (.desktop files or even some
> normal sheel scripts. don't forget to make them executable)

Thanks. Another question. Maybe this is plain Linux related (not KDE
specific) thats why I am crossposting.

Suppose I put my 'smbmount' command in ~/.kde/Autostart  and I log out of
KDE and log back in. It will get executed again and mount my share again.
The fact that 'smbmount' mounts the same resource on the same mountpoint is
inexplicable to me (see my thread on this at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-
8&frame=right&th=b63875883c28cf8&seekm=26ca3cec.0306231228.7ed8b459%40posting.google.com#link1

Is there a way to mount the share only if it is not already mounted?

Thanks

Startup folder

Post by David W Noo » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:06:56

> Basically, I want to add a 'smbmount' command in there to mount some NTFS
> shares when I startup.

  cd ~/.kde/Autostart

Then create a shell script, say my_smbmount.sh, in that directory:

  #!/bin/bash
  # Mount my favourite NTFS shares.
  smbmount ...

When the script is finished and saved:
  chmod +x ./my_smbmount.sh

This should perform the mounts invisibly during the latter part of your
login sequence.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU#314465]

Remove spam trap to reply via e-mail.

Startup folder

Post by Manuel Streuhofe » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:10:12

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:27:36 +0200, Manuel Streuhofer

>> you are looking for the subdir $HOME/.kde/Autostart
>> you can out inside whatever you feel like (.desktop files or even
>> some normal sheel scripts. don't forget to make them executable)

> Thanks. Another question. Maybe this is plain Linux related (not KDE
> specific) thats why I am crossposting.

> Suppose I put my 'smbmount' command in ~/.kde/Autostart  and I log out
> of KDE and log back in. It will get executed again and mount my share
> again.
> [...]
> Is there a way to mount the share only if it is not already mounted?

> Thanks

in fact it would not mount again but complain that it is already
mounted. so all you would get is an error in your ~/.xsession-errors
file. but just for the fun. here what you can do.

like always there are more ways of solving it. what you can do is write
another script to unmount on kde-logout. put it into ~/.kde/shutdown
that should do the trick. next time you login again it will mount your
shares. when you logout it will unmount.

or you just hack something together in your script to check if it is
already mounted. example:

#!/bin/sh
mount | grep -q //compname/sharename && exit
mount //compname/sharename

Manuel

1. Missing Startup folder in KDE.

Greetings,

Hey for whatever reason there was no statup folder created for my stock KDE
desktop environment. It appears that it is supposed to be there since it is
referred to in the help.BTW am running kernel 2.4.5 & KDE 2.1.1.

Thanks

--

http: http://netnet.net/~farmer/index.html

With all of thy getting, get understanding!
Proverbs 4:7

2. Xemacs in RedHat 3.0.3

3. Whats the equivlent of the windows startup folder in KDE2 & LMDK 8.1

4. IBM Internet & Red Hat 5.0 Setup

5. What's the linux equivalent of the StartUp folder?

6. ipnat on internal network not working

7. Startup folder?

8. Seial line speed...

9. where is the startup folder

10. Where is the gnome "startup" folder?

11. mount when folder opens, umount when folder closes.

12. chmod of all the files and sub folders under one folder

13. get kmail imap folders into main folders