starting KDM with chooser instead of login

starting KDM with chooser instead of login

Post by M. Strobe » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:20:42

Hi,

I can do some nice things like using an X terminal, using remote X apps
and so on.

What I still can't find in the script maze is the place to configure the
PC to start up a chooser window instead of login.

Any help would be welcome.

Max

Post by Ingolf Steinbac » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:32:29

> What I still can't find in the script maze is the place to configure the
> PC to start up a chooser window instead of login.

Run

    X -broadcast [other options]

instead of having the X server started by xdm/kdm (i.e.
remove the entry from the Xservers file). If you want
to be able to run an X session on the same machine as
your X server, use the Xaccess to allow xdmcp from your
local network (or maybe just from your machine) and run
kdm (again without letting kdm manage your display).

Regards
    Ingolf
--

Ingolf Steinbach                       Jena-Optronik GmbH

PGP: 0x7B3B5661  213C 828E 0C92 16B5  05D0 4D5B A324 EC04

Post by M. Strobe » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:57:50

>>What I still can't find in the script maze is the place to configure the
>>PC to start up a chooser window instead of login.

> Run

>     X -broadcast [other options]

> instead of having the X server started by xdm/kdm (i.e.
> remove the entry from the Xservers file). If you want
> to be able to run an X session on the same machine as
> your X server, use the Xaccess to allow xdmcp from your
> local network (or maybe just from your machine) and run
> kdm (again without letting kdm manage your display).

> Regards
>     Ingolf

Thanks for your reply.

What I am exactly trying to find out is the place/the script where I
have to configure a PC with Suse linux to start the chooser in runlevel
5 instead of the login window, be it a XDMCP broadcast or an indirect
query to localhost.

I found a keyword in kdmrc saying EnableChooser, but it does not work in
KDE 3.0.1.

Max

1. KDM X-login starts twm instead off KDE?

Haai,

I finaly can log in through X via de KDM login (shadow password
problem), but now it starts twm instead off the kde desktop. They're
referring to the Xsession file, but nothing more. Do I have to make an
entry in it for kde? And if yes, how should it look like? I'm not
completely understanding the file...Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings,
       Sjoerd

| World Wide Web : http://web.inter.NL.net/users/S.Krol |
"What I think is that the F-word is basically just a convenient nasty-
sounding word that we tend to use when we would really like to come up
with a terrifically witty insult, the kind Winston Churchill always
came up with when enormous women asked him stupid questions at
parties.

2. Backspace and Arrows??

3. KDM/XDM/GDM: Won't start or can't login

4. Need help setting up printer

5. Starting applications directly (instead of getty/login)

6. Converting ext2 to reiserfs

7. Using chooser to access linux system running kdm from remote X terminal

8. FDISK:: Extended partition VS Logical question

9. Is there a chooser for kdm ?

10. KDE 3.0 - kdm & chooser problem (RH7.2)

11. kdm chooser problem

12. Q: xdm features in kdm (users & load in chooser)

13. kdm chooser help needed