kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

Post by Andrew Jaff » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi All-

I've got RH6.1 system with most of the bugfixes, and I was running KDE
1.1.2 with no problems.

I tried to upgrade to KDE 2, using the RH6.2 packages. Everything seemed
to install fine, and indeed the KDE desktop ad apps per se mostly seem
to work. But there are some problems:

kdm fails completely. if I try to start it "by hand", it just returns
immediately; if I set it as the default using /etc/sysconfig/desktop
containing "KDE", I get a message along the lines
        'init: "x" returns immediately; waiting 5 minutes'
(those aren't the exact words; I'm at a different machine right now, but
that's the gist). the kdm setup in the control panel works fine, but it
doesn't do anything.

also, there seems to be a minor icon problem: all objects get the
correct icon, but if I am ever asked to choose an icon, it always
appears as the default even when it's set correctly.

Any ideas?

Andrew
--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

Post by David J. Goldstei » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

-I also have a system running redhat 6.1.  I was not too sure about the
various rpm's or src.rpm's though, so instead of trying the redhat 6.2
rpm's I downloaded the generic source tar files and compiled from scratch.
This took about 3.5 hours, but everything seems to come up properly.  The
only problem I have is that I seem to have missed a few flags that I should
have used when running the configure script(s), (and maybe when running
'make' as well) since I cannot view any jpg or gif images at all with
anything native to kde2.  Oh, one other problem:  I have kde1.1.2 set up so
that I can click an icon on the bar and automatically connect via ssh to a
number of machines that I use frequently.  This is extremely useful, but
doesn't seem to work in kde2.  I can put the icon on the bar and tell it to
execute 'ssh some_machine', but then it fails because it thinks it doesn't
have privileges to run the binary.  I can do 'ssh some_machine' from the
command line within a 'konsole' and it works fine though.

-Anyway, perhaps if you try compiling from the generic source files it will
work better for you.  If you try it and it works please let me know all the
flags that you used at various stages and I'll try again.

djg

Post by Sean Harme » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> -I also have a system running redhat 6.1.  I was not too sure about the
> various rpm's or src.rpm's though, so instead of trying the redhat 6.2
> rpm's I downloaded the generic source tar files and compiled from scratch.
> This took about 3.5 hours, but everything seems to come up properly.  The
> only problem I have is that I seem to have missed a few flags that I
> should have used when running the configure script(s), (and maybe when
> running 'make' as well) since I cannot view any jpg or gif images at all
> with
> anything native to kde2.

you need to configure qt with the following options

./configure -sm -gif -system-jpeg -no-opengl

Oh, one other problem:  I have kde1.1.2 set up

Quote:> so that I can click an icon on the bar and automatically connect via ssh
> to a
> number of machines that I use frequently.  This is extremely useful, but
> doesn't seem to work in kde2.  I can put the icon on the bar and tell it
> to execute 'ssh some_machine', but then it fails because it thinks it
> doesn't
> have privileges to run the binary.  I can do 'ssh some_machine' from the
> command line within a 'konsole' and it works fine though.

To get this to work (for a desktop icon, but it should work with kicker
too) create a new application .desktop file. On the execute tab put the
following command line,

konsole -e ssh <machine name>

where <machine name> is the machine you wish to connect to.

By the way, compiling from sources is without a doubt the best way to get a
stable KDE 2.0 system. As long as you don't mind learning how to do it that
is :-)

Good luck

        Sean

kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

Post by Andrew Jaff » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Again-

Could this be somehow a PAM problem? Another, possibly related, symptom
is that when in GNOME and I try to run helix-update, I get the dialog
asking for the root password, but the program doesn't run; it works fine
if I just use su -c helix-update.

I admit I don't understand anything about PAM, though...

--

Post by magn » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi All-

> I've got RH6.1 system with most of the bugfixes, and I was running KDE
> 1.1.2 with no problems.

> I tried to upgrade to KDE 2, using the RH6.2 packages. Everything seemed
> to install fine, and indeed the KDE desktop ad apps per se mostly seem
> to work. But there are some problems:

> kdm fails completely. if I try to start it "by hand", it just returns
> immediately; if I set it as the default using /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> containing "KDE", I get a message along the lines
>         'init: "x" returns immediately; waiting 5 minutes'
> (those aren't the exact words; I'm at a different machine right now, but
> that's the gist). the kdm setup in the control panel works fine, but it
> doesn't do anything.

> also, there seems to be a minor icon problem: all objects get the
> correct icon, but if I am ever asked to choose an icon, it always
> appears as the default even when it's set correctly.

> Any ideas?

> Andrew

I solved that problem by editing /etc/inittab,
and at the end of file substituted the call to prefdm
with a call to kdm
That way you can log on, although other problems can arise...

Alessandro

kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

Post by Andrew Jaff » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

for some reason, kdm looks for stuff in /usr/etc/X11 which is really in
/etc/X11.

So, this solves it (as root)
ln -s /etc/X11 /usr/etc/X11

That's it!

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

1. kdm problems on RH7 with KDE2

I have been having various problems with using kdm as my graphical startup.
The first was that kdmdesktop wasn't running properly from Xsetup_0. This
has been fixed in the full release.

The bigger problem is that Shutdown doesn't seem to work at all well from
kdm: kdm defaults to shutting down with /sbin/halt, which in the past would
powerdown my system. However, RH now uses /sbin/halt to leave the system
waiting and /sbin/poweroff for a powerdown.

Ok, so I try changing this command in kcontrol->system. Any changes are
ignored: studying the kdmrc file shows that the line is saved as
ShutDown=... rather than Shutdown=... (similarly for ShutDownButton=...
rather than ShutdownButton=...) and this seems important. So I try editing
this command in by hand. Now when I try to shutdown from kdm it does call
/sbin/poweroff, but no longer shuts down the Xserver, so the computer powers
down once I kill the Xsever by hand. Aaarrgh...

Has anyone else met/solved this problem?

Daryl

2. linux compatible

3. KDE2: Icon Spacing and Icon Name Wordwrapping

4. LMS 205

5. KDE2, RedHatv6.1 and icon problems.

6. Loosing my gateway!

7. KDE2.0.1. ICON problem

8. Huge can code -

9. KDE2.1 -> KDE2.1.1 upgrade problems

10. KDE2.0-->KDE2.1.1 Upgrade Problem

11. kde2.0.1 -> kde2.1beta2 (redhat7) couple of strange problems

12. X ....and mouse problems incld. other minor problems.....

13. Fail to install RH6.0 via Winnt-FTP reading from RH6.0 CDROM?