kdm and xdm problems

kdm and xdm problems

Post by J. Benjamin Hal » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Whenever I try to start KDE, it opens to the kdm login screen even if I am
already logged in.  While this is not a huge problem, the follwing is.
Whenever I try to login in again, it click's like it is opening XFree and
then snaps back to the login prompt.  I thought that this was isolated to
KDE, but I executed "kdm_off" and tried xdm and got the same problem.

Is there a way to fix this or am I just doing something wrong?  Could I have
not compiled something into my 2.2.4 kernel?

-Ben Hale
Linux newbie, but at least I can compile a kernel.

 
 
 

kdm and xdm problems

Post by J. Benjamin Hal » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Whenever I use the startkde command from the prompt (not in X)  I get:

kcontrol:  Cannot connect to X server
kwmsound:  Cannot connect to X server
krootwm:  Cannot connect to X server
kaudioserver:  Cannot connect to X server
kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session
using old audio server with talk id 1537
kfm:  Cannot connect to X server
kpanel::  Cannot connect to X server
kwm:  Cannot connect to X server
kbgndwm:  Cannot connect to X server

However, when I start inside of X, I get a desktop, and a couple of windows.
I still get the standard X menu on left-click though and I don't have any of
the progs.

 
 
 

kdm and xdm problems

Post by Chris Spieg » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00


On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:39:42 -0500,  

Quote:>Whenever I use the startkde command from the prompt (not in X)  I get:

>kcontrol:  Cannot connect to X server

Read the documentation.  startkde is NOT to be run from the commandline.
Put it in either .xinitrc or .xsession, depending on how you start X.

Chris
--
  //   () __    _  _ _  _    
 //   // //\\  // // \\//  Please change orj to org
//__ // // // //_//  //\\  in my address to send mail.

 
 
 

kdm and xdm problems

Post by J. Benjamin Hal » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Um, maybe this is my problem, but I cannot seem to find either of those
files.  Where would they be?

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:39:42 -0500,

> >Whenever I use the startkde command from the prompt (not in X)  I get:

> >kcontrol:  Cannot connect to X server

> Read the documentation.  startkde is NOT to be run from the commandline.
> Put it in either .xinitrc or .xsession, depending on how you start X.

> Chris
> --
>   //   () __    _  _ _  _
>  //   // //\\  // // \\//  Please change orj to org
> file://__ // // // file://_//  //\\  in my address to send mail.


 
 
 

kdm and xdm problems

Post by J. Benjamin Hal » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00


Nevermind, I seem to have fixed it, but I still have the same problems with
kde and xdm.


> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:39:42 -0500,

> >Whenever I use the startkde command from the prompt (not in X)  I get:

> >kcontrol:  Cannot connect to X server

> Read the documentation.  startkde is NOT to be run from the commandline.
> Put it in either .xinitrc or .xsession, depending on how you start X.

> Chris
> --
>   //   () __    _  _ _  _
>  //   // //\\  // // \\//  Please change orj to org
> file://__ // // // file://_//  //\\  in my address to send mail.


 
 
 

kdm and xdm problems

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrma » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>Whenever I use the startkde command from the prompt (not in X)  I get:

>kcontrol:  Cannot connect to X server
>kwmsound:  Cannot connect to X server
>krootwm:  Cannot connect to X server
>kaudioserver:  Cannot connect to X server
>kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session
>using old audio server with talk id 1537
>kfm:  Cannot connect to X server
>kpanel::  Cannot connect to X server
>kwm:  Cannot connect to X server
>kbgndwm:  Cannot connect to X server

>However, when I start inside of X, I get a desktop, and a couple of windows.
>I still get the standard X menu on left-click though and I don't have any of
>the progs.

/opt/kde/bin not in PATH (?)
What happens if you start X with startx ? (Switch off kdm)

--

Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)
http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/jura/moritz/pubkeymoritz  # but also
KDE forever! Use Linux to impress your friends!         # Open Minded!

 
 
 

1. Problem logging in with XDM/KDM - User auth problems

I've never had to deal with this before, I can no longer log into KDE as
myself... KDM puts errors in the xdm-errors.log file:

AUDIT: Wed Jun 10 15:23:02 1998: 694 X: client 2 rejected from local
host

and so on... there is also this error at the end of the file:

stdin: is not a tty

This only happens when I log in as me (which has been working for many
months...

Basically when I try to login as me, the login puts me back at the KDM
login display...

Has anyone seen this before?
--

WEB Developer           (314) 993-7727
The Sporting News       http://www.sportingnews.com
     S E E   A   D I F F E R E N T   G A M E

2. Removing LILO from master boot area of hard disk

3. Respawning XDM (or kdm) problem

4. ip masqerading and icq

5. KDM\XDM and console log problem

6. DBase under Wabi in Linux?

7. kdm/xdm problems

8. A newbie's question

9. xdm,kdm or gdm problem

10. KDM/XDM and Multiuser Problem

11. kdm/xdm/Xsession problem

12. xdm/kdm and console log problem

13. xdm/kdm problems