RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by w.. » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:22:42

I notice there are a few places where 3.0.1 rpms for RH 7.3 are up.

I'm only using RH 7.2 though it is quite current (and customized in places
=} ). Has anyone actually tried using the 7.3 rpms with 7.2? Just
curious... so far a rpm -test doesn't see anything wrong...

Other than the 586 vs 386 issue (I'm using a 686 anyway =} ), can anyone see
anything hideously stupid about trying this? Has anyone actually tried it?

Just wondering. Don't know enough about the differences between RH releases
to know if this is a stupid question so please educate if I am asking
something quite stupid...

merci,
Daryl.
Paris

RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by Stephen Cornel » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:50:08

> I'm only using RH 7.2 though it is quite current (and customized in places
> =} ). Has anyone actually tried using the 7.3 rpms with 7.2? Just
> curious... so far a rpm -test doesn't see anything wrong...

I lifted the RPMs for KDE 3.0 that shipped with RH 7.3, and installed
them on a RH 7.2 box; I had to update a couple of other libraries
(again lifted from RH 7.3) to solve dependencies, but apart from that
everything went smoothly and they work fine.

It's unlikely that Red Hat will release KDE 3.0.1 RPMs for RH 7.*,
since their next release will probably be 8.0 (which will break binary
compatibility with 7.*) and KDE 3.0.1 doesn't offer any major feature
enhancements over 3.0.  The RPMs you've found are presumably
`unofficial', so there is no guarantee that dependencies have been
worked out correctly (the `official' RH 7.3 ones have been through a
period of testing).  More importantly, you have no guarantee of the
trustworthiness of the packages - even if the packager is honest,
he/she may have been unwittingly cracked and the packages trojaned.  I
make a point of *never* installing RPMs from untrusted sources on a
production machine, including any machine that I use to connect to a
production machine.

In short: the RPMs you've found may well work, but in my opinion you'd
be better off either sticking with `official' packages from Red Hat (or
kde.org) or compiling your own.

Quote:> Just wondering. Don't know enough about the differences between RH releases
> to know if this is a stupid question so please educate if I am asking
> something quite stupid...

In principle, RH 7.m is more or less binary compatible with RH 7.n
(same major versions of kernel and base libraries).
--

University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by Rex Diete » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:25:05

Quote:> I notice there are a few places where 3.0.1 rpms for RH 7.3 are up.

> I'm only using RH 7.2 though it is quite current (and customized in places
> =} ). Has anyone actually tried using the 7.3 rpms with 7.2? Just
> curious... so far a rpm -test doesn't see anything wrong...

I've done it with all (ok, most) of our Redhat 7.2 boxes here (~50).  Works
great.

--
Rex Dieter
Computer System Administrator

RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by ne.. » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:45:08

>>> I notice there are a few places where 3.0.1 rpms for RH 7.3 are up.

>>> I'm only using RH 7.2 though it is quite current (and customized in places
>>> =} ). Has anyone actually tried using the 7.3 rpms with 7.2? Just
>>> curious... so far a rpm -test doesn't see anything wrong...

>>I've done it with all (ok, most) of our Redhat 7.2 boxes here (~50).  Works
>>great.

> A couple of questions:

> Where are the 3.01 rpms available from?

Did you look at Rex's .sig? It has the url there.

Quote:> How official are these rpms?

They are Rex's official rpms.

Quote:> On the install, should I uninstall all KDE 2 rpms or just Upgrade over
> them?

No idea.

Certified: 40% bastard, 22% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by bored by T » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:51:01

Thanks for letting me know I wasn't insane trying... =}

I upgraded to 3.01 this morning and actually the system is snappier and
faster (could be jsut because 586 rather than 386 rpms). Works nicely so
far and fixes a few little annoying bugs (though no doubt there are som
eI haven't found yet).

Just for those who are keeping up to speed, I did need to download the
cdparanoia alpha rpms and development libraries from the RH 7.3 RedHat
Network to get it to work.

ciao and thanks!
Daryl.
Paris

>> I notice there are a few places where 3.0.1 rpms for RH 7.3 are up.

>> I'm only using RH 7.2 though it is quite current (and customized in
>> places =} ). Has anyone actually tried using the 7.3 rpms with 7.2?
>> Just curious... so far a rpm -test doesn't see anything wrong...

> I've done it with all (ok, most) of our Redhat 7.2 boxes here (~50).
> Works great.

> --
> Rex Dieter
> Computer System Administrator
> Department of Mathematics and Statistics University of Nebraska Lincoln

RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

Post by Rex Diete » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:40:44

> I did see the sig in another message and checked out your site.  Last
> questions if I may:

> Do you have any info/experience with the 3.01 rpms from rawhide?  Are
> they built from the same source?  Why arent they available for
> up2date?

My rpms are built from the rawhide src.rpm's + modifications to build + a
few minor bugfixing patches.

Quote:> Shall I trust apt to do the proper upgrading and not worry about
> uninstalling kde2?

That's how I do it.  (-:

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/

Post by Rex Diete » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:44:22

>>I've done it with all (ok, most) of our Redhat 7.2 boxes here (~50).
>>Works great.
> A couple of questions:

> Where are the 3.01 rpms available from?

My website (see below)

Quote:> How official are these rpms?

Not official at all... (-:  They're what I've backported from redhat's
rawhide developmental packages.  However, I've been rolling them out to all
our users here after testing for several weeks, without any major problems
found (yet).

Quote:> On the install, should I uninstall all KDE 2 rpms or just Upgrade over
> them?

Use apt-get as described on my website... it'll sort out the dependancies
for you. (At least it SHOULD):
1.  Install apt-get
2.  Add appropriate lines to /etc/apt/sources.list
3.  apt-get update
4.  apt-get install kde3
(and just to be sure to upgrade anything left over):
5.  apt-get upgrade