A different weird font problem

Post by Dave » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:41:37

I'm finally checking out KDE 2 for the first time (KDE 2.1.1 is the latest
release I could find for RedHat). It looks really nice, but it insists on
using a tiny version of "Clearlyu" as the primary font for everything, and
I can't read it! This isn't normal, is it?

If I go into Look & Feel -> Fonts, change them all to Helvetica, and hit
"Apply", it changes some of the fonts but most of the system-related fonts
(system menus, application menus, labels, button text, etc.) stay the
same. Also, if I exit KDE and start it again, all my font changes are
gone.

If anyone else has experienced this, and knows a good solution, I'd
appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Ian Brig » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:52:14

| I'm finally checking out KDE 2 for the first time (KDE 2.1.1 is the latest
| release I could find for RedHat). It looks really nice, but it insists on
| using a tiny version of "Clearlyu" as the primary font for everything, and
| I can't read it! This isn't normal, is it?
|
| If I go into Look & Feel -> Fonts, change them all to Helvetica, and hit
| "Apply", it changes some of the fonts but most of the system-related fonts
| (system menus, application menus, labels, button text, etc.) stay the
| same. Also, if I exit KDE and start it again, all my font changes are
| gone.
|
| If anyone else has experienced this, and knows a good solution, I'd
| appreciate any input.

I've got exactly the same problem (except my rendition of Clearlyu is so
bad that I couldn't even read the font name!).  Although I can change some
fonts to Helvetica using Look & Feel -> Fonts, Clearlyu is still used in
menu bars, the text section of the startup tips, and the text section of
Konqueror's welcome message (as well as other places).

I've tried swapping font paths around in /etc/X11/XF86Config as
recommended in the KDE FAQ, but no joy.

Anyone know where these menu bar, etc. fonts get set? -- as it's obviously
not in the Look & Feel -> Fonts setup.

Ian

Post by Arnim Sauerbie » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:30:47

> | I'm finally checking out KDE 2 for the first time (KDE 2.1.1 is the
> | latest release I could find for RedHat). It looks really nice, but it
> | insists on using a tiny version of "Clearlyu" as the primary font for
> | everything, and I can't read it! This isn't normal, is it?
> |
> | If I go into Look & Feel -> Fonts, change them all to Helvetica, and hit
> | "Apply", it changes some of the fonts but most of the system-related
> | fonts (system menus, application menus, labels, button text, etc.) stay
> | the same.

You may be having problems with your font server not serving the fonts you
choose.  I had all kinds of troubles until I decided to set the xfs daemon
to listen to port 7100 (and not -1) in /etc/init.d/xfs.  This required
changing the FontPath in XFConfig-4 to "unix/:7100"    After that, I could
see all my X and truetype fonts.  (whew!)

To change fonts in the taskbar and application menus, go to control-panel,
LookNFeel, Fonts, and change  the "Menu" font.

Try a number of different fonts.  If several have no effect, but some do,
you have a X font-server (not a KDE) problem

g'luck
arnim

A different weird font problem

Post by Dave » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:04:45

Quote:

>I had all kinds of troubles until I decided to set the xfs daemon
>to listen to port 7100 (and not -1) in /etc/init.d/xfs.

Mine is already set to port 7100.

Quote:>To change fonts in the taskbar and application menus, go to control-panel,
>LookNFeel, Fonts, and change  the "Menu" font.

Did that. Didn't work. :-(

Quote:>Try a number of different fonts.  If several have no effect, but some do,
>you have a X font-server (not a KDE) problem

All my fonts work fine with GNOME, so I'm led to think it's a KDE-specific
problem.
Thanks for trying, though, :-)
Dave

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:48:59

>> | If I go into Look & Feel -> Fonts, change them all to Helvetica, and
>> | hit "Apply", it changes some of the fonts but most of the
>> | system-related fonts (system menus, application menus, labels, button
>> | text, etc.) stay the same.

> Try a number of different fonts.  If several have no effect, but some do,
> you have a X font-server (not a KDE) problem

That describes the situation. What's the fix?

I've looked through /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs as you suggest, and it doesn't
seem to specify any port for xfs -- so presumably xfs is using the default
7100.

Ian

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:51:27

>>To change fonts in the taskbar and application menus, go to control-panel,
>>LookNFeel, Fonts, and change  the "Menu" font.

> Did that. Didn't work. :-(

I find with mine that, when scrolling down the list of available fonts, the
demo window shows exactly the same sans serif font for most selections. A
few fixed-width fonts are also available. (Curiously, I once got to see
some Lucida fonts and a few other serif fonts, but it then went back to
substituting the same sans serif for almost everything.)

Ian

Post by Robert_ » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:28:20

>> Try a number of different fonts.  If several have no effect, but some do,
>> you have a X font-server (not a KDE) problem

> That describes the situation. What's the fix?

> I've looked through /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs as you suggest, and it doesn't
> seem to specify any port for xfs -- so presumably xfs is using the default
> 7100.

> Ian

Have you checked out the config files in /etc/X11 ?
Besides XFree86Config-4 there is fs/config  and XftConfig.
Check out the font paths and aliases.
Sorry, I'm no expert , but I have seen many posts dealing with xfs problems
(IF that's what it is) so you could do a search for some fixes.
all the best,
Robert_L
--
registered as Linux user #214645

A different weird font problem

Post by Dave » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:12:51

Quote:

>I find with mine that, when scrolling down the list of available fonts, the
>demo window shows exactly the same sans serif font for most selections. A
>few fixed-width fonts are also available.

I only get to see 2 fixed width fonts - console and misc-fixed.

I can go into Look & Feel -> Fonts and change them all to Helvetica, but it
never actually changes the menu and toolbar fonts, and the ones it does actually
fix just change back when I start X again (even if I check "Restore Session"
when I log out).

I just uninstalled all of the RPMs, wiped out my .kde directory and re-installed
only as few RPMs as I could get away with. Same story.

I'm running RedHat 7.0 and XFree 4.03, installing KDE 2.1.1 RPMs - how about
you?
Dave

A different weird font problem

Post by Dave » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:30:14

Quote:

>I find with mine that, when scrolling down the list of available fonts, the
>demo window shows exactly the same sans serif font for most selections. A
>few fixed-width fonts are also available. (Curiously, I once got to see
>some Lucida fonts and a few other serif fonts, but it then went back to
>substituting the same sans serif for almost everything.)

I see at the end of my /var/log/XFree86.0.log file I have:

"Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from
list!"

I'm not sure why this would be, since they appear to have valid fonts.dir and
fonts.scale files, and have the fonts to which those files refer. I ran
mkfontdir on those directories and still get the above error when I run X.

My default XftConfig only references /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/. Hmm...

Post by CyberK » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:18:37

> I'm finally checking out KDE 2 for the first time (KDE 2.1.1 is the latest
> release I could find for RedHat). It looks really nice, but it insists on
> using a tiny version of "Clearlyu" as the primary font for everything, and
> I can't read it! This isn't normal, is it?

> If I go into Look & Feel -> Fonts, change them all to Helvetica, and hit
> "Apply", it changes some of the fonts but most of the system-related fonts
> (system menus, application menus, labels, button text, etc.) stay the
> same. Also, if I exit KDE and start it again, all my font changes are
> gone.

> If anyone else has experienced this, and knows a good solution, I'd
> appreciate any input.

> Thanks,
> Dave

I had a similar problem - symptoms were that root could set fonts
under kcontrol but user's couldn't (it just looked like kcontrol had
accepted the settings). I finally got round it by deleting ~/.kde2
(back to console mode to do this) and then starting X/KDE2 again. KDE2
then rebuilt ~/.kde2 correctly.
It may be worth a try but you may want to tar your current ~/.kde2
first if you have managed to save any settings or things go wrong.
- Alan

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:21:32

> I only get to see 2 fixed width fonts - console and misc-fixed.

I also have Jls fixed and Sony fixed.

Quote:> I can go into Look & Feel -> Fonts and change them all to Helvetica, but
> it never actually changes the menu and toolbar fonts, and the ones it does
> actually fix just change back when I start X again (even if I check
> "Restore Session" when I log out).

I've got some permanent changes to a few fonts (e.g. labels for desktop
items are now readable). If I click Defaults, all settings change to
Helvetica, but no actual fonts change. If I close Control Center and reopen
it, all the settings have reverted to Clearlyu, but again no fonts change.

Quote:> I'm running RedHat 7.0 and XFree 4.03, installing KDE 2.1.1 RPMs - how
> about you?

I've just upgraded to RH7.1 and let it install KDE (2.1.1) for the first
time. XFree is also as installed by RH (4.something, I presume).

Ian

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:07:39

> Besides XFree86Config-4 there is fs/config  and XftConfig.

Not on my system, there isn't!  I've got /etc/X11/XF86Config and
/etc/X11/fs/config and nothing else.  The start command in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs used to be "daemon xfs -droppriv -daemon", and I've
added -config /etc/X11/fs/config to try and fix this problem.

Are these config file standard, or are they distro-dependent?  (I'm using
RH7.1)

Ian

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:11:42

> I see at the end of my /var/log/XFree86.0.log file I have:

My xfs messages seem to go into /var/log/messages.  How do you get them to
go into a separate file?

Quote:> "Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
> removing from list!"

I get different errors:
  ignoring font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/100dpi (unreadable)
  ignoring font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi (unreadable)
  ignoring font path element /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/Type1 (unreadable)
These directories don't exist, but I'm not sure if that's significant as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts has 100dpi, 75dpi and Type1 directories which
should be included in the font path.

Quote:> My default XftConfig only references /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/.

Mine has that at the top and /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType at the
bottom.

Ian

Post by Ian Brigg » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:36:55

> I've got /etc/X11/XF86Config and
> /etc/X11/fs/config and nothing else.

I lied.  I've also got /etc/X11/XftConfig.

Ian

Post by Dave » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:09:33

>> I only get to see 2 fixed width fonts - console and misc-fixed.

>I also have Jls fixed and Sony fixed.

Someone on the XFree newbie list recommended that I add the following to the
"Modules" section of XF86Config-4:

Modules
    Load (other stuff)
    Load "freetype"
    Load "type1"
    Load "speedo"
EndSection

This got rid of the error message in my XFree86 log and shows me more fonts to
choose from in KDE. However, the menu font problem still persists. :-(

Dave

1. Weird problem with fonts

Just upgraded to SuSE 7.2 (which comes with KDE 2.1.2) but when reading mail
or news, the fonts are either so tiny I can't read them, or look like
they've been written on with felt tip by someone sitting on a washing
machine. I have a sneaky suspicion that it is something to do with
anti-aliasing, but am unable to determine how to fix it.

I did enable something in the control panel about anti-aliasing, but this
didn't appear to fix the problem...

Richard Spandit
Firmly on the Linux wagon
SuSE 6.3, KDE 2.0
richard_news(at)spandit_uklinux_net
www.spandit.uklinux.net/

2. Do optical mice work with Linux?

3. Weird Font Corruption Problem

4. REDHAT DOESN'T RESPECT ITS CUSTOMERS!!! BEWARE!!!

5. Weird Eterm (Gdk fonts?) Problem

6. Unknown char devices

7. Weird Ping, weird FTP, weird Telnet... HELP!!!

8. Blank lines

9. Weird, weird, weird issue ....

10. Problem mounting SCSI HD in a different computer w/ different Adaptec Controller

11. same font but look different on 2 machines?

12. font question: different colors BY LETTER?

13. Oberon under X has weird fonts