KDE features

Post by Marcello Barbon » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 20:27:55

I've read the KDE3.1 and KDE3.2 features plan on http://developer.kde.org/ ,
and there are some features I don't see planned that I'd like to submit as
wishlist. Before doing so, though, I'd like this group's opinion to make
sure that these fatures are not already present (or maybe senseless). Here
goes.

- Kmail: I'd like an icon in the message list telling me if the message
contains an attachment.

- Konqueror (maybe I just missed this one, if so - my apologies): have the
"home" button on the toolbar take you to your start page when you're
browsing the web and to your home directory when browsing the filesystem.

- Lisa: support writing to remote shares.

- Copy/Cut/Paste: in some apps (like Konqueror) the right-click menu doesn't
display the "Copy" (as in copy to the clipboard) option, while in others it
does. In the former case one must resort to the (IMHO senseless) X11
clipboard. Is there a reason for this?

- Korganizer: when you select the "journal" for one day, there is no way
(that I know of) to view the journal for another day without exiting the
current journal, selecting the desired day, and selecting again the
journal. BTW, there should be a journal button available on the toolbar,
IMHO.

- Fax: does KDE include a complete fax program, i.e. a prog that lets you
send and receive faxes without being a front-end to other cli fax progs?
The reason I ask this is that it's frustrating to have to read tons of man
pages to get hylafax working when all I would need is just to send a plain
2-paper fax from my workstation.

Thank you for your feedback.

Marcello
--
11:39am up 13 days, 1:54, 0 users, load average: 0.02, 0.05, 0.02

KDE features

Post by Moritz Moeller-Herrman » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:12:25

> I've read the KDE3.1 and KDE3.2 features plan on http://developer.kde.org/
> , and there are some features I don't see planned that I'd like to submit
> as wishlist. Before doing so, though, I'd like this group's opinion to
> make sure that these fatures are not already present (or maybe senseless).
> Here goes.

> - Konqueror (maybe I just missed this one, if so - my apologies): have the
> "home" button on the toolbar take you to your start page when you're
> browsing the web and to your home directory when browsing the filesystem.

Hard to do... Better use the bookmark toolbar.

Quote:> - Lisa: support writing to remote shares.

This is not a problem of lisa but of the smb_kioslave.

Quote:> - Copy/Cut/Paste: in some apps (like Konqueror) the right-click menu
> doesn't display the "Copy" (as in copy to the clipboard) option, while in
> others it does. In the former case one must resort to the (IMHO senseless)
> X11 clipboard. Is there a reason for this?

No. Please file a bug report on this, wherever you find it.

Quote:> - Korganizer: when you select the "journal" for one day, there is no way

[...]

This is the wrong forum, please file detailed bug reports at
http://bugs.kde.org.

--

        La loi, dans un grand souci d'galit, interdit aux riches comme aux
        pauvres de coucher sous les ponts, de mendier dans les rues et de voler

KDE features

Post by ne.. » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:20:08

> I've read the KDE3.1 and KDE3.2 features plan on http://developer.kde.org/ ,
> and there are some features I don't see planned that I'd like to submit as
> wishlist. Before doing so, though, I'd like this group's opinion to make
> sure that these fatures are not already present (or maybe senseless). Here
> goes.

> - Kmail: I'd like an icon in the message list telling me if the message
> contains an attachment.

Agreed.

Quote:> - Konqueror (maybe I just missed this one, if so - my apologies): have the
> "home" button on the toolbar take you to your start page when you're
> browsing the web and to your home directory when browsing the filesystem.

Agreed.

Quote:> - Lisa: support writing to remote shares.

> - Copy/Cut/Paste: in some apps (like Konqueror) the right-click menu doesn't
> display the "Copy" (as in copy to the clipboard) option, while in others it
> does. In the former case one must resort to the (IMHO senseless) X11
> clipboard. Is there a reason for this?

IMNSHO, the X11 way is the most sensible way. When I hilight
something it's because I want automagically in the clipboard.

[...]

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

KDE features

Post by Phil Bake » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 01:10:21

Quote:>> - Copy/Cut/Paste: in some apps (like Konqueror) the right-click menu
>> doesn't display the "Copy" (as in copy to the clipboard) option, while in
>> others it does. In the former case one must resort to the (IMHO
>> senseless) X11 clipboard. Is there a reason for this?

> IMNSHO, the X11 way is the most sensible way. When I hilight
> something it's because I want automagically in the clipboard.

Ever since I noticed that Konsole supports keyboard shortcuts for
X-paste and Clipboard-paste (Ctrl-Shift-Insert vs. Shift-Insert)
I use them both very often.

It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text widget)
would support the X-past shortcut, too.

Cheers,
Phil

KDE features

Post by Sybre » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 01:23:23

> Ever since I noticed that Konsole supports keyboard shortcuts for
> X-paste and Clipboard-paste (Ctrl-Shift-Insert vs. Shift-Insert)
> I use them both very often.

> It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text widget)
> would support the X-past shortcut, too.

What's wrong with pressing the middle mouse button?

Sybren

KDE features

Post by richard lyon » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:31:02

>> Ever since I noticed that Konsole supports keyboard shortcuts for
>> X-paste and Clipboard-paste (Ctrl-Shift-Insert vs. Shift-Insert) I use
>> them both very often.

>> It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text
>> widget) would support the X-past shortcut, too.

> What's wrong with pressing the middle mouse button?

I agree with Phil.  One of our machines won't be configured for
three-button mouse, for some reason, so I use a lot of ctl-ins shift-ins.
And middle button copy doesn't give the equivalent of shift-del
shift-ins. Anyway, not all apps support middle button paste.  I
do prefer to use middle button when possible, but why not allow both?

--
richard

KDE features

Post by Phil Bake » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:21:58

>> It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text widget)
>> would support the X-past shortcut, too.

> What's wrong with pressing the middle mouse button?

Being forced to switch from keyboard to mouse only for pasting
some text is bad and there seems to be no reason why it shouldn't
be supported.

My usage pattern very often was: select some text with the mouse,
switch to Konsole, type in some command, then paste the selected
text by mouse, maybe add some further arguments by keyboard and
finally hit return.

I found the shortcut a *big* usability improvement. Now I regularily
stumble across the missing shortcut in Konquerers address bar and I
would be glad if all apps would work like Konsole.

Speaking of shortcuts in Konsole and Konqueror:
  It would be cool if the developers would unify their shortcuts
  for creating a new shell / tabbed window. Konsole default is Ctrl+Alt+N
  and Konquerors default is Ctrl+Shift+N where both commands actually
  perform equivalent tasks.

Cheers,
Phil

KDE features

Post by Marcello Barbon » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:59:34

> That's the linux approach, isn't it? Why re-inventing the wheel
> when there are perfectly working applications in place?

Yes it is, and usually I agree with this way of doing things.
But sometimes I'd just like to be able to perform a task the wrong way, i.e.
without having a clue to how it works, but it just works. The fact that
this is not possible with linux is both its strenght and weakness.

Quote:> BTW: Use
> efax instead of hylafax, if you only need a wokstation scoped fax
> solution. Easy to configure and works as backend for the kde fax
> system.

This is great advice, thanks. I'll try it right away :-)

Marcello

KDE features

Post by Nick Colema » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 21:34:43

> Ever since I noticed that Konsole supports keyboard shortcuts for
> X-paste and Clipboard-paste (Ctrl-Shift-Insert vs. Shift-Insert)
> I use them both very often.

> It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text
> widget) would support the X-past shortcut, too.

> Cheers,
> Phil

OK, here's whre the X system doesn't work very well: using mouse only.
A text file contains a url.  You want to launch it in your browser.
You highlight the url in the console with the mouse to copy the url,
and then click on the browser icon.  How do you get it into the
browser?  If you middle click, it adds the url to the end of the
existing one and you have to move to the keyboard to backspace the old
one; if you highlight the existing url to cut it, you have lost the
copy you made.  I find this frustrating, having to move from keyboard
to mouse just to do this.

Nick

KDE features

Post by ne.. » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 23:20:35

>> Ever since I noticed that Konsole supports keyboard shortcuts for
>> X-paste and Clipboard-paste (Ctrl-Shift-Insert vs. Shift-Insert)
>> I use them both very often.

>> It would be great if Konqueror (and maybe all apps using the text
>> widget) would support the X-past shortcut, too.

>> Cheers,
>> Phil

> OK, here's whre the X system doesn't work very well: using mouse only.
> A text file contains a url.  You want to launch it in your browser.
> You highlight the url in the console with the mouse to copy the url,
> and then click on the browser icon.  How do you get it into the
> browser?  If you middle click, it adds the url to the end of the
> existing one and you have to move to the keyboard to backspace the old
> one; if you highlight the existing url to cut it, you have lost the
> copy you made.  I find this frustrating, having to move from keyboard
> to mouse just to do this.

I do not know what browers you use. In the ones I use
I middle click anywhere in the display portion of the
browser to 'launch' the url. No need to paste in the
address space.

Post by Nick Colema » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:02:11

> I do not know what browers you use. In the ones I use I middle click
> anywhere in the display portion of the browser to 'launch' the url. No
> need to paste in the address space.

Wow, thanks!  One of those really handy tips that are so bleeding obvious
once you know it.

Nick

KDE features

Post by richard lyon » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 22:52:23

[snip]
> I do not know what browers you use. In the ones I use I middle click
> anywhere in the display portion of the browser to 'launch' the url. No
> need to paste in the address space.

Oh! I wondered why I keep getting "Unable to connect to 123.45" type
errors when copying information around forms in SQL-Ledger.  Must be that
I just missed the input box and the browser (usually mozilla) is using
this quite unwanted feature.  A bit thoughtless of them to allocate a
conflicting use to such a commonly used button.   How do you turn it off?

--
richard

KDE features

Post by ne.. » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 01:21:05

> [snip]
>> I do not know what browers you use. In the ones I use I middle click
>> anywhere in the display portion of the browser to 'launch' the url. No
>> need to paste in the address space.

> Oh! I wondered why I keep getting "Unable to connect to 123.45" type
> errors when copying information around forms in SQL-Ledger.  Must be that
> I just missed the input box and the browser (usually mozilla) is using
> this quite unwanted feature.  A bit thoughtless of them to allocate a
> conflicting use to such a commonly used button.   How do you turn it off?

As far as I know you don't. This is how cut-n-paste works in X.