Tweaking configure files

Post by Felix Karpfe » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Several recent attempts to install/update KDE applications came to grief
at the configure stage.  The configure file was reportedly designed to guess the
appropriate values for various parameters, but it got confused by the setup
with which RedHat 6.2 has saddled me (Among other things, I now have three
different Qt directories - qt-1.44, qt-1.45 and qt-2.1.0).

Unfortunately, the miniscule programming skills that I possess date from an
antediluvean era of computing (COBOL); it is likely to take time before I learn
some relevant languages.

Meanwhile, I would welcome some guidance that will help me do some simple
tweaking.

Below are extracts from the start of a configure file with problem areas
identified (as far as I can judge).

Any help on what to plug in where will be gratefully received

Start of configure:
=============

#! /bin/sh

# Guess values for system-dependent variables and create Makefiles.
# Generated automatically using autoconf version 2.13
# Copyright (C) 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
#
# This configure script is free software; the Free Software Foundation
# gives unlimited permission to copy, distribute and modify it.

# Defaults:
**ac_help=***?
***ac_default_prefix=/usr/local***(? /usr ?)
# Any additions from configure.in:
ac_default_prefix=${KDEDIR:-/usr/local/kde} **? /usr/kde ?

SNIP

ac_help="$ac_help
  --with-qt-dir=DIR       where the root of Qt is installed "
ac_help="$ac_help
  --with-qt-includes=DIR  where the Qt includes are. "
ac_help="$ac_help
  --with-qt-libraries=DIR where the Qt library is installed."

Does the above three instructions need to be fixed here or do they get fixed
via arguments on the command line?

Also, pointers to the locations of Newbie guides that will save me from posting
such elementary questions would be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

Tweaking configure files

Post by Martin P Holla » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:57:32 +1000,

>Several recent attempts to install/update KDE applications came to grief
>at the configure stage.  The configure file was reportedly designed to guess the
>appropriate values for various parameters, but it got confused by the setup
>with which RedHat 6.2 has saddled me (Among other things, I now have three
>different Qt directories - qt-1.44, qt-1.45 and qt-2.1.0).

Simplest solution is

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-1.45

in /etc/profile (won't take effect untl you next login)

assuming you are compiling kde 1.1.2 apps. If you are compiling kde2
apps then you need to set QTDIR to point to the qt-2.1.0 directory.

atb

Martin
--
http://www.noether.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.kppp-archive.freeserve.co.uk

1. ntfs file system tweaks

I've been using the (alpha?) ntfs file system driver for Linux for
awhile now with good success. Recently I upgraded NT to 4.0; even more
recently I reinitialized and reloaded one of my NT partitions.

I wasn't paying close attention at the time, but NT used a cluster size
of 2048 bytes instead of 512 bytes for the partition; now Linux can't
read it. (I can mount the partition, but the size is weird and nothing
is visible on it if you try ls.)

I took a look at the driver source, specifically ntfs_fs.c, and it
appears to try and handle cluster sizes generically, but it obviously
isn't working quite right and I can't see what's happening. Has anybody
else already hurdled this challenge?

Thanks in advance,

  Scott

----------

EDS / ESC - Detroit            313-556-6011 [8/346]

2. Help ! Error in running startx

3. Are Binds 4.94 header files in need of tweaking?

4. Why prolong the agony? Just get Windows 95...you'll be glad (you don't have a choice)

5. Help Needed | X config file tweaking: Monitor refresh rates

6. linux libraries

7. help with code that tweaks stdio's FILE*

8. Arrg... How to not load Gnome at boot up?

9. Help: Tweaking /unix file system code with adb

10. How to configure a Print Server to print a file as a file

11. Post compile tweaks........??

12. Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?

13. Video resolution tweak/adjustments?