Help! kde panel crash on startup...

Post by muddymu » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:50:11

I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel program)
crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this sonofaB*tch
is lame!..... any help would greatly be appreciated.
Mud

Post by akar 'th 'orribl » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:22:26

> I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel program)
> crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this sonofaB*tch
> is lame!..... any help would greatly be appreciated.
> Mud

Ask properly, describe the symptoms and include a print of what happens if
you start kicker from a konsole and people might be able to help you.

Andrew

Post by James Richard Tyre » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:05:39

> I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel program)
> crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this sonofaB*tch
> is lame!.....

You may have a configuration problem.  You could try deleting the Kicker's
configuration file.

Or, if you have upgraded from a pervious release, rename the directory:
"SHOME/.kde" and restart X.

If that fixes it you know it is one of the configuration files.

JRT

Help! kde panel crash on startup...

Post by pastorJo » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:17:55

OR...

        The not-so-elegant solution I came up with was this:

        Login as root.  rename your home directory to $HOME.backup or
something.  Now make a new home directory under your username, and
make the ownership and permissions right.

        Now login to a KDE session with your username.  All of the
config files will get set up.

        Next, open Konqueror and copy any needed files and
sub-directories back from your backup folder.  BTW, don't copy
ANYTHING that is called kde*.  I admit, it is not the most elegant,
but you are now sure that everything is running on KDE2 setups.

Good luck.

John Kiehn
pastorJohn
email in header is bogus, please reply here.

Post by CyberCF » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:17:58

> I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel program)
> crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this sonofaB*tch
> is lame!..... any help would greatly be appreciated.
> Mud

I experienced a similar problem and in troubleshooting I discovered that it
was probably the system monitor applet.

I did notice however that if I logged in as root, the panel did not crash.

To troubleshoot, I created a new user and logged into KDE.  I renamed my
~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc file and copied the the new users kickerrc
file to directory to mine (don't forget to change permissions).  Logging in
under my own user, the kicker now loads, but without any of my
customizations.

I started to add them back one by one and lo and behold when I added the
system moniter applet, I received the SIGSEGV error.  I would venture a
guess that you had that applet running on your panel.

I hope this helps.

--
/g

Post by Nevin Kapu » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:40:39

>> I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel
>> program) crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this
>> sonofaB*tch is lame!..... any help would greatly be appreciated.
>> Mud

> I experienced a similar problem and in troubleshooting I discovered
> that it was probably the system monitor applet.

[...]

Quote:> I started to add them back one by one and lo and behold when I added
> the system moniter applet, I received the SIGSEGV error. I would
> venture a guess that you had that applet running on your panel.

I have a similar problem as muddymud. I don't have system monitor
running. My guess is that it's the child panel which causes the crash.

--
Nevin

Help! kde panel crash on startup...

Post by muddymu » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:08:51

Quote:

> > I experienced a similar problem and in troubleshooting I discovered
> > that it was probably the system monitor applet.

> [...]

> > I started to add them back one by one and lo and behold when I added
> > the system moniter applet, I received the SIGSEGV error. I would
> > venture a guess that you had that applet running on your panel.

> I have a similar problem as muddymud. I don't have system monitor
> running. My guess is that it's the child panel which causes the crash.

> --
> Nevin

that sounds like my prob .... but it loads fine after i run kicker from
the run menu.... i will check out the config files... see if thats the
prob. thanks for the helpful responses everyone!

Post by muddymu » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:34:11

> > I was wondering if anyone had a problem with kicker (the panel program)
> > crashing on startup. Im running KDE 2.1 on RH7....... this sonofaB*tch
> > is lame!.....

> You may have a configuration problem.  You could try deleting the Kicker's
> configuration file.

> Or, if you have upgraded from a pervious release, rename the directory:
> "SHOME/.kde" and restart X.

> If that fixes it you know it is one of the configuration files.

> JRT

that brought back my panel (well it loads on startup with out crashing) now
to add stuff to figure out what broke it.
thanks for the help.

Help! kde panel crash on startup...

Post by muddymu » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:50:07

well I believe the problem is with the child panel. whenever i add an
applet (say a taskbar or an app launcher) and restart K it muffs up. It
was soooooo convenient to have a task bar on that thingy with the
exploding icons....... I think this should be looked into by the KDE
programmer dudes.

muddy mud

1. GNOME panel crashes on startup... many errors, no panel... help!

I had Gnome up and running great under FreeBSD 4-Stable. Then I installed
BitchX and Everybuddy. After that, my panel won't run at all. I get
multiple errors when starting up gnome... and gnome does start, but the
panel crashes and does not.

Can anyone help? I tried nuking the ~/.gnome directory... panel still
crashes... removed most of gnome and reinstalled from ports, panel still
crashes. Any help would be most appreciated.

-=Elden=-

2. Help me setup the TCP/IP

3. KDE 2.1 panel crashes when child panel activated (after using font anti-alias)

4. dual internet access - howto?

5. help! lost kde panel after hd crash

6. Official: Internet was a safer place this week

7. Gnone panel crashing at desktop startup

8. Netscape Enterprise equivalent of Apache's Timeout

9. Anyone has encountered severe KDE Panel crash????

10. KDE startup crashes Xserver

11. KDE 2.1.2 : Package Manager Crashes On Startup

12. artsd crash on startup :kde-2.2.1

13. Linux crashes twice on KDE startup