Kmail - Difference "Date" & "Order of Arrival" field

Kmail - Difference "Date" & "Order of Arrival" field

Post by José Arang » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:50:40

Hello,

Could anyone please tell me the difference between "Date" and "Date of
Arrival" on Kmail? I mean...when you click on that date field title...you
have multiple options like date(ascend), date (descend), date (order of
arrival)etc..

I used to have it on "Order of Arrival" but I found out that there are some
misplaced emails (according to their dates)...I just don't know the
difference.

Thanks in advance,
Jos

Post by Caitri » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:40:47

> Hello,

> Could anyone please tell me the difference between "Date" and "Date of
> Arrival" on Kmail? I mean...when you click on that date field
> title...you have multiple options like date(ascend), date (descend),
> date (order of arrival)etc..

I have KMail 1.3.2, and the choices seem to be ascending/decending by
date, and ascending/descending by order of arrival. I don't know this for
a fact, but I'd guess that sorting by date orders the emails according to
the time they were sent, while sorting by order of arrival sorts by the
time the email shows up on your mail server (or in your local mail spool,
or something along those lines). An email that took longer than usual to
reach you would be ordered differently when you sort by sending time vs
receiving time.

-- Caitrin
caitrin_t at yahoo.com

Post by Jorey Bum » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:24:44

> Hello,

> Could anyone please tell me the difference between "Date" and "Date of
> Arrival" on Kmail? I mean...when you click on that date field title...you
> have multiple options like date(ascend), date (descend), date (order of
> arrival)etc..

> I used to have it on "Order of Arrival" but I found out that there are
> some misplaced emails (according to their dates)...I just don't know the
> difference.

Look at the header of an email.

There is a Date: line in the header. That is created by the user's email
program (MUA) when the message is sent. This is used to sort by date.

There are probably more than one Received: lines. Each mail server (MTA)
adds a line when it handles the message. The topmost is the last server to
handle the message. The date in this line is used to sort by order of
arrival.

Since clocks may be improperly set, or mail may be queued elsewhere before
being delivered to your server, this is a useful feature. Someone may claim
to have sent a message yesterday (order by date), but you can prove that it
didn't arrive at your server until today (order by date of arrival). Why
this happened is another issue.

Post by José Arang » Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:50:24

> Look at the header of an email.

> There is a Date: line in the header. That is created by the user's email
> program (MUA) when the message is sent. This is used to sort by date.

> There are probably more than one Received: lines. Each mail server (MTA)
> adds a line when it handles the message. The topmost is the last server to
> handle the message. The date in this line is used to sort by order of
> arrival.

> Since clocks may be improperly set, or mail may be queued elsewhere before
> being delivered to your server, this is a useful feature. Someone may
> claim to have sent a message yesterday (order by date), but you can prove
> that it didn't arrive at your server until today (order by date of
> arrival). Why this happened is another issue.

Thanks Jorey for that excellent explanation.
Now I know what it's all about!

Thanks again,
Jos