TrueType fonts don't render correctly.

Post by Robert Gel » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:56:39

I was finally able to add TrueType fonts to my system, however they don't
seem to render correctly.  For instance, whenever I select Verdana font, it
is rendered as Nimbus font.  This happens in KWord, Konqueror, etc...  So I
looked in the /etc/X11/XftConfig file and I noticed the following line:

match any family == "verdana"           edit family += "Nimbus Sans L";

I am guessing that anytime KDE sees verdana font it is replaced by Nimbus.
I commented the line out, rebooted the system, but to no avail.

I am using standard RH7.2, KDE 2.2.1.  The antialiasing is on.

Thanks.

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 17:30:43

> I was finally able to add TrueType fonts to my system, however they don't
> seem to render correctly.  For instance, whenever I select Verdana font,
> it
> is rendered as Nimbus font.  This happens in KWord, Konqueror, etc...  So
> I looked in the /etc/X11/XftConfig file and I noticed the following line:

> match any family == "verdana"           edit family += "Nimbus Sans L";

> I am guessing that anytime KDE sees verdana font it is replaced by Nimbus.
> I commented the line out, rebooted the system, but to no avail.

> I am using standard RH7.2, KDE 2.2.1.  The antialiasing is on.

Hi Robert,

this is just wild guess, but you might want to check your home and kde dir
for other config files.

At least Xft looks for ~/.xftconfig.
And there is ~/.xftcache file.

Cheers,
Lada

TrueType fonts don't render correctly.

Post by Reidar Hallquis » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 17:06:53

The right direction to point you to, would be special newsgroup for KDE
on Red Hat.
But since this doesn't exist, I can't.
Red Hat screws up KDE because they support that other desktop.

> I was finally able to add TrueType fonts to my system, however they don't
> seem to render correctly.  For instance, whenever I select Verdana font, it
> is rendered as Nimbus font.  This happens in KWord, Konqueror, etc...  So I
> looked in the /etc/X11/XftConfig file and I noticed the following line:

> match any family == "verdana"           edit family += "Nimbus Sans L";

> I am guessing that anytime KDE sees verdana font it is replaced by Nimbus.
> I commented the line out, rebooted the system, but to no avail.

> I am using standard RH7.2, KDE 2.2.1.  The antialiasing is on.

> Thanks.

TrueType fonts don't render correctly.

Post by ne.. » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:44:19

Quote:>The right direction to point you to, would be special newsgroup for KDE
>on Red Hat.
>But since this doesn't exist, I can't.
>Red Hat screws up KDE because they support that other desktop.

*REALLY*, I suppose you have a url for that...

Staff meeting in the conference room in 3 minutes.
  8:43am  up  2:18,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by Charles Shannon Hendri » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 05:35:56

> I am using standard RH7.2, KDE 2.2.1.  The antialiasing is on.

I had no end to problems until I turned antialiasing off.  It prevents
a significant number of my fonts from showing up at all, and I couldn't
print from some applications while it was enabled.

I can't understand why this is, but I gave up trying to fix it.  Too
many other things to do, and I think KDE developers are working on a
different scheme for fonts in 3.x anyway.

--
Usenet... proof that net-democracy is still a dream... a bad one...

Post by Michael Knephe » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:03:18

> The right direction to point you to, would be special newsgroup for KDE
> on Red Hat.
> But since this doesn't exist, I can't.
> Red Hat screws up KDE because they support that other desktop.

Actually, I just had a similar problem on Mandrake 8.1, only everything was
showing up as an oblique LuciduxSans, I believe. I went into the XftConfig
file and found a bunch of the "match any family" references, almost all
created by *other apps* that had been installed - like Sun's JRE 1.3 from
the Netscape 6.x install. I commented out all of those instances and after
restarting X my fonts seemed to be back in order.

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

1. Some font's don't display correctly?

Hi, don't know if this is the proper forum for this question: some of
fonts are not displaying properly.  I'm running Linux 1.2.11,
XF863.1.1 and I took all the font disks and installed them with the
distributions.  Seems like for all the adobe and b&h fonts don't
display properly when I use the command:
  xterm -fn -adobe-utopia-regular-r-normal--25-180-100-100-p-135-iso8859-1

I've copied the font description directly from 'xlsfonts' and pasted
it there, but the xterm that is started is not that font.  It's much
bigger with multiple spaces between some of the letters and looks as
though there is some kind of problem displaying the font (it is not
the fixed default that is shown when it cannot find the font, as far
as I can tell there are no error messages).  Other fonts
are ok, such as the sony, misc, and fixed fonts.

Appreciate your help, thanks for taking the time.

2. Ericsson Congo Router

3. Truetype fonts (xfs.xtt) don't work

4. DHCP & multiple interfaces

5. KDE 2.1, qt 2.3.0 - TrueType font rendering

6. Server for Matrox Productiva AGP?

7. (fwd) FreeType beta released -- a portable TrueType font rendering engine

8. Apache 1.1.1 on SGI

9. Rendering files that don't end with .html

10. Solaris 2.5 won't render extra Type-1 fonts

11. TrueType fonts won't scale!

12. Is there TrueType fonts or "vector fonts" for linux?

13. TrueType Monotype's font