SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Hans H.V. Hans » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:08:32



Last night I upgraded my SuSE from 7.2 to 7.3 - and wanted to try the
associated new KMail version.

It was getting a bit late - (so) I misunderstood the revised 'settings'
panel; in fact I overlooked the 'Network' tab, and after defining my
'Identity' only, I tried to send a couple of test messages:
All went well - the 'Transmitting' box flashed on momentarily and my
mails moved from 'outbox' to 'sent messages' - even with a nice little
'sent' icon next to each one of them (+ 'time dispatched'-info)!

At that moment I suddenly realized that my PPP had never been activated!
:(

I launched the PPP, tried to retrieve messages, and then got a dialogue
box, informing me of the missing 'network settings' - so I could rectify
the situation.

Sorry, long explanation...but to me it looks like a *bug*, if the system
can create the illusion of sending mail to a specified address - without
doing so!

What do you think??

--
med venlig hilsen
Hans

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Kevin Kramme » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 04:45:51



> Last night I upgraded my SuSE from 7.2 to 7.3 - and wanted to try the
> associated new KMail version.

> It was getting a bit late - (so) I misunderstood the revised
> 'settings' panel; in fact I overlooked the 'Network' tab, and after
> defining my 'Identity' only, I tried to send a couple of test
> messages: All went well - the 'Transmitting' box flashed on
> momentarily and my mails moved from 'outbox' to 'sent messages' - even
> with a nice little 'sent' icon next to each one of them (+ 'time
> dispatched'-info)!

> At that moment I suddenly realized that my PPP had never been
> activated!
> :(

> I launched the PPP, tried to retrieve messages, and then got a
> dialogue box, informing me of the missing 'network settings' - so I
> could rectify the situation.

> Sorry, long explanation...but to me it looks like a *bug*, if the
> system can create the illusion of sending mail to a specified address
> - without doing so!

> What do you think??

Well, if you have not set your "network" settings in KMail it assumes a
local mail transfer agent as defautl setting.
If it was running or could be started by inet.d then Kmail was able to
deliver the messages.
In this case KMail worked like expected, didn't it?

kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Hans H.V. Hans » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:08:58


..

Quote:> Well, if you have not set your "network" settings in KMail it assumes a
> local mail transfer agent as defautl setting.
> If it was running or could be started by inet.d then Kmail was able to
> deliver the messages.
> In this case KMail worked like expected, didn't it?

I would agree - at least partly - if the mail had in fact been delivered
*somewhere*; but apparently that is not the case!

And I would agree fully, if the mail had been delivered to the specified
addressee!!

--
med venlig hilsen
Hans

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Kevin Kramme » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:44:15



> I would agree - at least partly - if the mail had in fact been
> delivered *somewhere*; but apparently that is not the case!

> And I would agree fully, if the mail had been delivered to the
> specified addressee!!

Yes, I understand waht you mean, but if Kmail is configured to use the
local mail transfer program and this one is not configured correctly,
it isn't Kmails fault.

However, a lot of people that have only recently began using Linux,
won't have a local MTA setup, because they are used to set this for
apps individually.

Kevin

--

Student at Graz University of Technology
http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/v/voyager

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Michael Haecke » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:01:54



> Yes, I understand waht you mean, but if Kmail is configured to use the
> local mail transfer program and this one is not configured correctly,
> it isn't Kmails fault.

Acutally KMail 1.3.1 does not use local mail transfer by default, at least
that would be new to me.

Nevertheless, even when local transfer is used, then you usually get after
4 hours a warning message back from sendmail when the message still could
not be delivered.

Regards,
Michael H?ckel

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Hans H.V. Hans » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:57:06


..

Quote:> Nevertheless, even when local transfer is used, then you usually get after
> 4 hours a warning message back from sendmail when the message still could
> not be delivered.

Well, I must confess that i am not (yet?) brave enough to experiment
with Sendmail - meanwhile I stick to Postfix! :)

--
regards,
Hans

 
 
 

SuSE/KMail 1.3.1 - bug?

Post by Hans H.V. Hans » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:57:07


..

Quote:> Yes, I understand waht you mean, but if Kmail is configured to use the
> local mail transfer program and this one is not configured correctly,
> it isn't Kmails fault.

I get your point: No bug - glad I didn't file my report!

Quote:> However, a lot of people that have only recently began using Linux,
> won't have a local MTA setup, because they are used to set this for
> apps individually.

Just my view - and, moreover, the 'settings layout' in previous KMail
versions seemed more 'MS-like' [sorry! ;)]

BTW: What is 'a local MTA setup'

--
regards,
Hans

 
 
 

1. Q:kmail in Linux/SuSE 6.0

Hi !
In what serie is the application " kmail " ?
I have searched every serie, but I dont find the name " kmail " for
this application.
Does it have another name ??
Please mail to my address and thank you for your help !
Bye

2. Local Mail between 2 Linux Boxes

3. SuSE 7.1 - YOU update run, then Konqueror crashes on man or web pages, Kmail fails

4. sunsite

5. Suse 6.2: kmail crashes after update

6. Nokia 449M

7. Q:kmail in Linux/SuSE 6.0

8. lost rsh

9. kmail-bug?

10. KMAIL CRASHES/BUGS OR WHAT?

11. Kmail, not a bug, maybe a 'feature'

12. Kmail Bug??

13. KDE 2.1. KMail Bug