POP filters in Kmail

Post by Doug Laidla » Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:38:14

I have enabled the POP filters in Kmail to delete from the server a few
predictable spam messages, but it doesn't work.  Is this perhaps dependent
on the ISP,s server?

Doug.
--
"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always
wrong."

    - H. L. Mencken

POP filters in Kmail

Post by Tim Foo » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:00:31

> I have enabled the POP filters in Kmail to delete from the server a few
> predictable spam messages, but it doesn't work.  Is this perhaps dependent
> on the ISP,s server?

That might be the case: I just tested it on my ISP, and the mail came
through.

Tim

POP filters in Kmail

Post by Tim Foo » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:02:54

> I have enabled the POP filters in Kmail to delete from the server a few
> predictable spam messages, but it doesn't work.  Is this perhaps dependent
> on the ISP,s server?

I don't think so.  I just tested it with my ISP, and the mail also came
through.

Tim

POP filters in Kmail

Post by John » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:35:28

>> I have enabled the POP filters in Kmail to delete from the server a few
>> predictable spam messages, but it doesn't work.  Is this perhaps
>> dependent on the ISP,s server?

> I don't think so.  I just tested it with my ISP, and the mail also came
> through.

> Tim

You must set a size to be filtered. Try 1 byte to filter everything.

John.

POP filters in Kmail

Post by Doug Laidla » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:00:25

Thanks John. For Tim's benefit, you set the size in Account config "Filter mail on server." not in the POP filters config.

It has just occurred to me: I have 2 dial-up internet connections, and I can download with either, but I assume that deleting mail on the server requires "write access," so I need to be using the number of the server with the spam.

Regards,

Doug.

--

Post by Nick Colema » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 15:13:44

> Thanks John. For Tim's benefit, you set the size in Account config
> "Filter mail on server." not in the POP filters config.

> It has just occurred to me: I have 2 dial-up internet connections, and
> I can download with either, but I assume that deleting mail on the
> server requires "write access," so I need to be using the number of
> the server with the spam.

> Regards,

> Doug.

I don't think this is quite correct.  Most (all?) ISP's allow you to
read and delete email even if you are not connected directly through
them, for example, web browser access.  All the POP filter is doing is
processing the delete command without bothering to download first.

You may be getting confused with sending email, which is a different
kettle of fish.  Most (all?) ISP's require you to be connected to them
before you can send through their smtp server.

Nick

POP filters in Kmail

Post by Tim Foo » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:39:31

> Thanks John. For Tim's benefit, you set the size in Account config "Filter
> mail on server." not in the POP filters config.

Yep, thanks!

Tim

POP filters in Kmail

Post by Doug Laidla » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:41:06

Thanks Nick.  I can delete mail regardless.  But in reply to John, setting
up the account to download headers first doesn't seem to be the same thing
as the POP filters.  I could use that facility instead if I could set it up
to default to "download eveything" on one account and "delete everything"
on the others, but there seems to be no way to change the default option
"leave it to clog up the server"

Doug.

--
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."

    - Napoleon Bonaparte

POP filters in Kmail

Post by John » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:35:27

> Thanks Nick.  I can delete mail regardless.  But in reply to John, setting
> up the account to download headers first doesn't seem to be the same thing
> as the POP filters.  I could use that facility instead if I could set it
> up to default to "download eveything" on one account and "delete
> everything" on the others, but there seems to be no way to change the
> default option "leave it to clog up the server"

Hope I understand you here Doug....

When you dial up you want to access 2 accounts. There should be no problem
with doing that even though you "dial into" one of them. You should be able
to do what you want but I'm still unclear as to what it is exactly. Could
you give me some more info. Bit slow understanding here :)

John.

1. Kmail 1.4 pop filters

Hi,

does the pop filters really work in kmail 1-4? The simple filters do work
but when I add a pop filter I have the impression that they just don't
filter. I do get a lot of spam e-mails and would like to get them deleted
before I pop my e-mails.

--
Zsolt Koppany

2. Serial console from NetBSD/m68k

3. How to trigger POP filters in kmail ?

4. 40 GB disk

5. Kmail pop filters question

6. determining file type via f_fstyp

7. Kmail 1.4 (kde3) and Pop filter

8. Kernel Build: 23 hour compile time?

9. kmail 1.3.2 filters: Howto filter all messages?

10. KMail should wait longer for POP answer

11. Kmail: Can you do IMAP and POP at the same time?

12. 10 seconds for Kmail to hit the POP?

13. Problem with Kmail and POP acct