users get error with kde

Post by colin bonderma » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Every time i start KDE as a user i get the following error:

"could not create ~/kde/share/apps/kfm/magic"

What could be the cause of this and how do i fix it?

colin

users get error with kde

Post by Erik Sandblo » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Every time i start KDE as a user i get the following error:

> "could not create ~/kde/share/apps/kfm/magic"

> What could be the cause of this and how do i fix it?

Try logging in as root and see what permissions that directory has. They
should allow the user to modify the directory (don't know the exact details).

Maybe you could also run KDE as root and use the "users" feature in KDE to
add users. Maybe that will make the right adjustments so you can use KDE as a
user. -- Erik Sandblom http://www.artech.se/~sandblom/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Installation of KDE 1.1 on Openlinux - getting multiple error messages

I am running Openlinux 1.3, X 3.3.2, Kernel 2.0.35, Qt 1.4. KDE 1.0 ran
fine. I recently tried to upgrade to 1.1 using the binary caldera RPM on
the kde.org site. On startup I get the following errors:

kcontrol: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kcontrol: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kcontrol: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kcontrol: can't resolve symbol
'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent'
kcontrol: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kaudioserver: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kaudioserver: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kaudioserver: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kaudioserver: can't resolve symbol
'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent
krootwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
krootwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
krootwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
krootwm: can't resolve symbol
'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent'
krootwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwmsound: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwmsound: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwmsound: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwmsound: can't resolve symbol
'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent'
kwmsound: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol
'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kpanel: can't resolve symbol '_11QMouseEvent.g'
kwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'
kwm: can't resolve symbol 'resizeEvent__14QMultiLineEditP12QResizeEvent'
kwm: can't resolve symbol 'setPalette__9QLineEditRC8QPalette'

waiting for X server to shut down

Any idea on how to I fix this problem?

2. Compiler (?) oddities

3. Getting KDE 1.1.2 and KDE 2.0 Beta 1 to co-exist

4. Bug in sys_sched_yield

5. KDE 2.0 and killustrator (why gets KDE 1...)?

6. select() on dead sockets

7. nfs getting permission denied errors while trying to mount the /users directory

8. Peer-to-Peer

9. Funky Error my Users are getting.

10. OS/2 user getting rawrite2 error message

11. Getting an Error when I try togo into the scoadmin users screen.

12. One user can't use KDE - "error locking .Xconfig"

13. user getting some "super user" access?