power failure -> kde won't start anymore

power failure -> kde won't start anymore

Post by Phyrum Te » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:02:35

Hi,

After power failure, my kde system won't start anmore.

I still get graphical login-prompt but after entering username and
password, it returns to login-prompt.

I was logged in as normal user but root login didn't work as well.

Which files could be corrupt and how can i repair kde?

My system: RedHat 7.2 on Dell Inspiron 5000e Notebook

Tanks in advance,

Phyrum

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:08:04

> Hi,

> After power failure, my kde system won't start anmore.

> I still get graphical login-prompt but after entering username and
> password, it returns to login-prompt.

> I was logged in as normal user but root login didn't work as well.

> Which files could be corrupt and how can i repair kde?

Hi,

try switching to run level 3 (ctrl-f1 to text console, login as root,
execute telinit 3) and then login as regular user. Run xinit. Your X system
starts up and brings xterm console. Execute
$ startkde 2>&1 output.txt

After it fails, see output.txt and look for error messages. If you find
them and still won't be able to figure out what the problem is, post the
log (relevant parts of it) here.

Cheers,
Lada

Post by Phyrum Te » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 04:10:36

> After power failure, my kde system won't start anmore.

> I still get graphical login-prompt but after entering username and
> password, it returns to login-prompt.

> I was logged in as normal user but root login didn't work as well.

> Which files could be corrupt and how can i repair kde?

I got it, disk was full! I ran out of power while I was waiting a
download to get finished.

1. KDE won't start anymore

Is this the right place to post this ?

Anyway.. maybe someone can help me...

I have KDE 1.1.2 and I have been working with the Global Keys, choosing ALT
for system pop-up or something..
Suddenly KDE crached and now it starts, I can see the coarse background  and
the mouse, but before loading a desktop scheme it crahes and says: kpanel:
waiting for Window manager ..

Anyone knows what the cause may be ?

Any way I can start KDE with STANDARD configuration  ? and where does KDE
store the desktop theme settings ?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I also erased some Themes, but I thought KDE uses the tar.gz ones.
Isn't that true ?

2. Help! RAMDISK problem

3. KDE 1.1.1 and RH5.2, KDE won't start

4. Running CGI scripts

5. KDE don't start anymore !!!!!!!!

6. Unix computer works as internet router?

7. KDE doesn't start anymore

8. SMC Ether EZ 8416 BTA

9. KDE2 and KDE don't start anymore

10. Installed KDE from source, KDE won't start

11. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

12. Xwindows won't start anymore

13. KDE won't boot anymore!