(Q) How do I find what version of KDE I am running?

(Q) How do I find what version of KDE I am running?

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is running
(under RedHat-6.2)?
I tried "rpm -qa | fgrep -i kde" but it didn't help greatly.

Also, are there RPMs for KDE-2 under RedHat-6.2
which will work without difficulty?
(I've been put off by the stream of queries in this newsgroup.)

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

(Q) How do I find what version of KDE I am running?

Post by Thoma » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

try "rpm -qi kbase"

Quote:> As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is running

look at www.kde.org

Post by Thomas Overgaar » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Timothy Murphy Wrote:
Quote:> As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is running
> (under RedHat-6.2)?
> I tried "rpm -qa | fgrep -i kde" but it didn't help greatly.

You're very close. But check kdebase, kdelib and kdesupport instead of
just kde.

--
Thomas O.

Post by Dave Sol » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is
>running (under RedHat-6.2)?
>I tried "rpm -qa | fgrep -i kde" but it didn't help greatly.

>Also, are there RPMs for KDE-2 under RedHat-6.2
>which will work without difficulty?
>(I've been put off by the stream of queries in this newsgroup.)

I also would like to know the answer to your second question. I can't for
the life of me get RedHat's KDE-2 rpms to work for me. I keep comming up
with dependencies problems especially when loading the kdelibs. Not being a
Linux heavy, I don't know how to deal with these problems.

Dave

(Q) How do I find what version of KDE I am running?

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>try "rpm -qi kbase"

I'm told kbase is not installed.

Quote:>> I tried "rpm -qa | fgrep -i kde" but it didn't help greatly.

I should have said, the results were slightly confusing.
But I guess they show I am not running KDE-2.

Quote:>> Also, are there RPMs for KDE-2 under RedHat-6.2
>> which will work without difficulty?
>> (I've been put off by the stream of queries in this newsgroup.)
>look at www.kde.org

I did look there.
It says there are no "official" binaries,
but points to unofficial ones which it says
should be used "at your own risk".

This does not really answer my query
whether there are RPMs which are likely to work without difficulty.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Post by Martin Skj?ldebra » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Timothy Murphy Wrote:
> > As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is running
> > (under RedHat-6.2)?
> > I tried "rpm -qa | fgrep -i kde" but it didn't help greatly.

> You're very close. But check kdebase, kdelib and kdesupport instead of
> just kde.

Anything wrong with running KDE Control Center?
Says here KDE Version 1.1.2 doesn't go into patch levels though.

M.
--
Martin Skj?ldebrand

Sys admin, web designer, tech writer
Hungry? Visit http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> > As a matter of interest, how does one tell what version of KDE one is running
>Anything wrong with running KDE Control Center?

Thanks ... that was what I was looking for.
(I'd been searching in the Properties info.)

Incidentally, I still haven't got a clear reply
as to whether KDE-2 is likely to run without problems.

I looked at a document (I think at http://www.kde.org)
about running KDE-1 and KDE-2 at the same time,
but it was not clear to me --
if one installs KDE-2 from an RPM (or RPMs)
will that prevent KDE-1 from working properly?

In particular, if one says "rpm -Uvh kde2*.rpm"
will that remove vital parts of KDE-1?

It's surprising really that basic information like this
does not seem to be supplied with the KDE-2 RPMs.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

Post by Thoma » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Also, are there RPMs for KDE-2 under RedHat-6.2
> which will work without difficulty?
> (I've been put off by the stream of queries in this newsgroup.)

Well first of all, kde-2 is beta (we are still in 1.9x series) this means that
a) not all software supplied is stable
b) not all features are implemented
c) there are no garantees

Next you will need some software besides kde; the dependencies will tell you
what it is.

for instance qt2.1 is needed (www.troll.no)

Last; if you installed the kde you run now from cd you can always go back
in case of bad failure by reinstalling kde and friends.

Good luck!