Konqueror paste URL feature

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:02:13

Hi,

I found out that in new konqueror version (latest CVS), if you paste URL
into it (using middle mouse button), konqueror opens this URL.

I find this very irritating, since I often copy URLs into clipboard. Then,
when I want to open link in a new window, I have to copy something else
into clipboard to make the middle button work.

I admit I am not sure, whether this is bug or feature.
I just wanted to ask, if anyone thinks this is good idea (pasting URL
_anywhere_ in konqueror opens it).

Cheers,
Lada

Konqueror paste URL feature

Post by ne.. » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:21:54

Quote:>Hi,

>I found out that in new konqueror version (latest CVS), if you paste URL
>into it (using middle mouse button), konqueror opens this URL.

>I find this very irritating, since I often copy URLs into clipboard. Then,
>when I want to open link in a new window, I have to copy something else
>into clipboard to make the middle button work.

>I admit I am not sure, whether this is bug or feature.
>I just wanted to ask, if anyone thinks this is good idea (pasting URL
>_anywhere_ in konqueror opens it).

Yep. I do. I love this feature in Netscape. In Konqueror, it
saves having to clear the URL and then paste it.

It is easier to run down a hill than up one.
  1:20am  up 2 days,  1:24,  7 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.38, 0.29

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:59:29

>>Hi,

>>I found out that in new konqueror version (latest CVS), if you paste URL
>>into it (using middle mouse button), konqueror opens this URL.

>>I find this very irritating, since I often copy URLs into clipboard. Then,
>>when I want to open link in a new window, I have to copy something else
>>into clipboard to make the middle button work.

>>I admit I am not sure, whether this is bug or feature.
>>I just wanted to ask, if anyone thinks this is good idea (pasting URL
>>_anywhere_ in konqueror opens it).
> Yep. I do. I love this feature in Netscape. In Konqueror, it
> saves having to clear the URL and then paste it.

Hmmm, but this makes the middle button somewhat unpredictable... I want to
open link in a new window - and whoa, some other site comes up in this
window instead.

It's very easy to get URL into clipboard... eg when erasing it in
navigation bar....

It would be better if Konqueror recognised, link was clicked and then
ignore the URL pasted...

Or may be, it would suffice to CTRL-V paste the text, not using the middle
mouse button.

Cheers,
Lada

Post by ne.. » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:41:28

>>>Hi,

>>>I found out that in new konqueror version (latest CVS), if you paste URL
>>>into it (using middle mouse button), konqueror opens this URL.

>>>I find this very irritating, since I often copy URLs into clipboard. Then,
>>>when I want to open link in a new window, I have to copy something else
>>>into clipboard to make the middle button work.

>>>I admit I am not sure, whether this is bug or feature.
>>>I just wanted to ask, if anyone thinks this is good idea (pasting URL
>>>_anywhere_ in konqueror opens it).
>> Yep. I do. I love this feature in Netscape. In Konqueror, it
>> saves having to clear the URL and then paste it.

>Hmmm, but this makes the middle button somewhat unpredictable... I want to
>open link in a new window - and whoa, some other site comes up in this
>window instead.

>It's very easy to get URL into clipboard... eg when erasing it in
>navigation bar....

>It would be better if Konqueror recognised, link was clicked and then
>ignore the URL pasted...

>Or may be, it would suffice to CTRL-V paste the text, not using the middle
>mouse button.

Whoa. My hands are already on the mouse. I have konsole open
in one deskspace. I highlite the URL with mouse, move to anotha
deskspace with Konqueror already running and paste with middle
mouse button. All in one motion. Saves me time and I don't have
to worry about anything. Now what would be nice would be to have
the mouse shortcuts used in Opera. Right mouse button held down
and move to left take to previous page. No need to go hunting
for the back button.

In a medium in which a News Piece takes a minute and an "In-Depth"
Piece takes two minutes, the Simple will drive out the Complex.
                -- Frank Mankiewicz
  9:36am  up  6:41,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:47:59

>>It would be better if Konqueror recognised, link was clicked and then
>>ignore the URL pasted...

>>Or may be, it would suffice to CTRL-V paste the text, not using the middle
>>mouse button.
> Whoa. My hands are already on the mouse. I have konsole open
> in one deskspace. I highlite the URL with mouse, move to anotha
> deskspace with Konqueror already running and paste with middle
> mouse button. All in one motion. Saves me time and I don't have
> to worry about anything. Now what would be nice would be to have
> the mouse shortcuts used in Opera. Right mouse button held down
> and move to left take to previous page. No need to go hunting
> for the back button.

Then it would be best for konqueror to check, whether link was clicked.

This way, I have to right-click the link, wait for the menu to come up,
choose New Window...

Or give it a try, middle-click and see what happens... and if URL was
passed, go and chase the back button and wait for the page to load again,
then do as described above...

Lada

Post by ne.. » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:58:59

>>>It would be better if Konqueror recognised, link was clicked and then
>>>ignore the URL pasted...

>>>Or may be, it would suffice to CTRL-V paste the text, not using the middle
>>>mouse button.
>> Whoa. My hands are already on the mouse. I have konsole open
>> in one deskspace. I highlite the URL with mouse, move to anotha
>> deskspace with Konqueror already running and paste with middle
>> mouse button. All in one motion. Saves me time and I don't have
>> to worry about anything. Now what would be nice would be to have
>> the mouse shortcuts used in Opera. Right mouse button held down
>> and move to left take to previous page. No need to go hunting
>> for the back button.

>Then it would be best for konqueror to check, whether link was clicked.

>This way, I have to right-click the link, wait for the menu to come up,
>choose New Window...

>Or give it a try, middle-click and see what happens... and if URL was
>passed, go and chase the back button and wait for the page to load again,
>then do as described above...

I feel I'm missing something here. Do we agree that the middle
mouse button is for pasting only? If yes, then this behavior is
consistent. Left mouse button should jump to a new link. Right
mouse button bring up a context window.

Charity, n.:
        A thing that begins at home and usually stays there.
  9:56am  up  7:01,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:08:56

> I feel I'm missing something here. Do we agree that the middle
> mouse button is for pasting only? If yes, then this behavior is
> consistent. Left mouse button should jump to a new link. Right
> mouse button bring up a context window.

Middle mouse button is used to open link in
new window (also in Netscape, Opera,... ).
(shift-left click does that in IE). I found that very convenient to be able
to open new window with one click without having to touch the keyboard.

I agree it would be great to have a way to paste URL without having to
delete the old one (usually you do this by selecting it with double-click
and whoa, your URL is gone and you have to copy it again).

Lada

Post by Christian Gebaue » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:27:46

>>>It would be better if Konqueror recognised, link was clicked and then
>>>ignore the URL pasted...

>>>Or may be, it would suffice to CTRL-V paste the text, not using the
>>>middle mouse button.
>> Whoa. My hands are already on the mouse. I have konsole open
>> in one deskspace. I highlite the URL with mouse, move to anotha
>> deskspace with Konqueror already running and paste with middle
>> mouse button. All in one motion. Saves me time and I don't have
>> to worry about anything. Now what would be nice would be to have
>> the mouse shortcuts used in Opera. Right mouse button held down
>> and move to left take to previous page. No need to go hunting
>> for the back button.

> Then it would be best for konqueror to check, whether link was clicked.

Yes, the current behaviour is buggy. I will try to fix it.

Greetings
Christian

Post by ne.. » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:32:32

>> I feel I'm missing something here. Do we agree that the middle
>> mouse button is for pasting only? If yes, then this behavior is
>> consistent. Left mouse button should jump to a new link. Right
>> mouse button bring up a context window.

>Middle mouse button is used to open link in
>new window (also in Netscape, Opera,... ).
>(shift-left click does that in IE). I found that very convenient to be able
>to open new window with one click without having to touch the keyboard.

I thought X uses the middle button as default for pasting??
If you have mapped the middle button to that, there will be
some inconsistency.

Quote:>I agree it would be great to have a way to paste URL without having to
>delete the old one (usually you do this by selecting it with double-click
>and whoa, your URL is gone and you have to copy it again).

See above....

Sometimes a man will tell his bartender things he'll never tell his doctor.
                -- Dr. Phillip Boyce, "The Menagerie" ("The Cage"),
                   stardate unknown.
 12:29pm  up  9:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by Ladislav Stroji » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:03:09

> Yes, the current behaviour is buggy. I will try to fix it.

Hi Christian,

thank you. :)

Lada

Post by Walter Franci » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:04:13

> >Middle mouse button is used to open link in
> >new window (also in Netscape, Opera,... ).
> >(shift-left click does that in IE). I found that very convenient to be able
> >to open new window with one click without having to touch the keyboard.
> I thought X uses the middle button as default for pasting??
> If you have mapped the middle button to that, there will be
> some inconsistency.

It's already been said, and you quoted it, that Netscape, Opera,
Mozilla, Konqueror, and likely other browsers, a middle-click on a link
will open that URL in a new window.  There is no remapping involved,
simply a handy feature built into the browsers.

Apparently Konq is buggy in that if the mouse is over a link it should
open that link in a new window, regardless of the contents of the
current copy buffer.  If the mouse is not on a link, then a paste into
the Konq window opening the URL is fine.

--
Walter Francis
http://theblackmoor.net                  Powered by Red Hat Linux 7.0

1. Konqueror drag and drop/cut and paste directory copying

Is anyone able to help me please?

Why does my version of Konqueror file manager (on Suse 8.1)
not appear to be implementing drag and drop copying correctly (or as I would
expect it to behave)?

I have tried to copy (drag and drop and also cut and paste using the right
button menu), for example, a large directory with many
subdirectories (Linux Howto's) using drag and drop. About 7000 files, 40 Mb.

For some reason, Konqueror is not copying all of the files in the source
directory to the destination directory. Somehow, it is misreading the total
number of files to be copied.

If I open all of the directories (expand the tree) in the source directory
before drag and
drop copying drag everything is OK.

There is nothing unusual about the files being missed - permissions, hidden
files etc.

I am trying to do this as Root. Am I doing something wrong?

Another mystery is why is the 'Paste' menu sometimes greyed-out?

I have the same problem wirh Krusader.

I have tried Nautilus - this works perfectly without first having to expand
the Tree, but I would
prefer to use Konqueror as my default file manager because of its
integration with the KDE Desktop.

regards

David Lister

2. How to burn an install CD?

3. Help: too many konqueror windows during copy&paste

4. Linux Virtual Web mini-HOWTO (part 1/1)

5. Konqueror's irritating preview 'feature'

6. BeOs for pc

7. konqueror and links (feature/bug)

8. xmodmap and key combinations

9. konqueror Dom Tree feature for frames

10. Konqueror keeps crashing with long urls.

11. Deleting URL-list in Konqueror

12. delete konqueror url-history

13. Starting konqueror with URL